Register now to get rid of these ads!

New car club

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodhell35, Nov 29, 2010.

1. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

2. It's kind of funny that the reason people are against clubs is because of all the drama, and here you have two guys bickering back and forth. Makes me remember why I like cars and not people...........

3. pitman

pitman

Cetainly good to keep it informal. If you can pull off a benefit event, that supports an important group/agency/outreach, then when the regulations attempt to change (State DMV stuff) you will have established a reputation, a political voice & this all helps keep the craft going.

4. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

Whoops! Kinda opened a can of worms.....

5. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

No. It is a very good question and a topic to some of us worth checking in to. Just have some guys who have an issue with the general populous of the world and their views.

6. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

Hahaha! so lownslo, you are happy with your club?

7. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its the principal of the issue, nobody is forcing you to read it. The fact that car clubs and the people in them are being maligned is what is objectionable. It's cliche and not very imaginative. Blame me for not putting up with it all you like, but I don't appreciate it when groups are plastered with invective whether it is car clubs, religion, race, etc. That sort of shit belies an ignorance and complete intolerance. I have tried to make my points as anything but personal, but that is all some people have as an argument.

8. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Well i had good experience and a bad side.. me I am too active and figure tht the "guidelines" should be your basic tools.. lets face it friends are friends but when you are in a car club it boils down to the club standards.. I would rather have a club of car nuts that beleive in standards and basic guidelines and start a club than a few friends in wich might be slackers or cant meet the standards?

I beleive that if you start something you should be upfront with everyone and make a standard and hold everyone to it.. I think going into something like this you have to be like minded and keep it together.. rules and guidelines pertain to everyone.. My old club seemed to bitch about some people but not others doign the same things wrong if not worsse... missing meetings,pass due on dues, not helping eachother out when needed.. its a snowball effect but be positive and hope it works for you.. It sure as hell isnt for me..

I do more work on hot rods now then when in the club.. no time for bullshit

9. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Love every minute of it!

10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

No. We'd still have rods but some would look like Boydsters because no one would care what we thought!!:D LOL!

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

wow, i can see why some people have a sour taste in their mouth about clubs-you're bitter and don't get along with people, no wonder the club thing didn't work out for you...

you have to take shit less seriously. my club doesn't have mandatory meetings or dues or drama-because we're a bunch of easy going guys that just like old cars and help each other out whenever we can, and roll in a group to shows, etc. but above all, we're friends first.

12. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

Somebody might steal it.

13. Fish Balls Car Collective and you no join us, we call you. Sorry, no Foreign Devils chapter so you out of ruck, round eyes!

Besides, you no like. Car collective have only one car and many members. Owning car is consider individualism, but many owning one car is collectivism.

skidmark, why you call that? No can drive or bad hygiene?

Bwaaaaaa-hahahahhhaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! Corporate Butt Pirate!

14. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Ah jeez, I can't stop laughing.

Awesome.

15. Someone at the beginning of this thread said that you need a name first, but that is wrong. I just helped start a club in San Diego and we were running around and having "meetings" for the last six months without a name. We met up with local guys from the HAMB and made the club an official thing after the first meeting. We made a commitment to no flake, mandatory meeting requirement and car requirements by year, custom, hot rod, etc. It's really a blast as long as people don't get too snobbish about being in a club. Also we all agreed that if one member needs help working on their car then we will come and help barring we don't have previous plans like work, weddings, funerals and things that can't really be rescheduled. It's a commitment to the club that has to be on the priorities list, maybe not number 1 but it has to be there. I say go ahead and have a blast. PM me if you want more information.

16. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

A club is only going to be as good as the quality of it's members. Everything else is just jibber jabber. I am proud to be a part of the Iron Lords!

17. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Hahahahaha! Pho real!!!

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Well said.

19. I consider myself fortunate to be an Embers So. Cal. member.

all of our members are grown-ups with families and careers and we all have our priorities in order.

i have the only 'finished' car in the club, we have two clean rolling in-progress cars, and everyone else is in various stages of in-progress. everyone is striving for excellence because that is what we're about, but is not a point of pressure.

we all share something in common (which would take far too long to explain) and that is the glue that holds us together. suffice it to say the 51 years of tradition and a number of 2nd generation members stoke the fire.

we're not all best friends, although some of the guys are super tight, but we are bound none the less by the things that we hold in common.

we have no politics other than no politics allowed. our mission statement is Tradition, Respect, Style, Class. anything that violates that ethic is unacceptable.

we don't spend every minute together, or mandate meetings. we enjoy our families and hook up when we can. we hang out because we like the company, not JUST because of the cars.

our cumulative desire is to expand our expression, but not at the risk of our priorities. we all desire to do more, together, with our cars and families, but we have no desire to do so at the cost of our state of well being.
    in my opinion, if you can't get there, don't bother.

clubs can be freaking awesome or a freaking nightmare.

Tip#1: HAVE FUN!

Tip#2: Numbers are nothing. don't go 'recruiting' a bunch of stranger jack-asses.

Tip #3:don't get ahead of yourself. jackets and patches don't mean a thing without integrity and commitment.

Tip #4: HAVE FUN!!! if it quits being fun... BAIL!!!

20. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

The BOF's, I like that.

There's days I feel that I have my own chapter of one in my garage.:eek:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  21. monsterflake

monsterflake

good news! there are many clubs like that! does your collective's auto also have 4 doors? more members, more doors!

we use a couple of fat chicks to lower the car, how many tiny vietnamese girls does it take to lay frame?

22. I likee two at a time, not very expensive. Bwaaaahhahahahahahahhahaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Western Criminal!

23. Gator

Gator

I tried to tell you that on the FIRST page. The last car club drama thread went 14 pages. :rolleyes:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473412

Man, I ain't been a teenager in a long time...have things changed that much? :eek:

24. RichG

RichG

One club: this one:

[​IMG]

Some of the members are freaks, some are assholes, some are freakin' hilarious, but overall the group is pretty awesome.

25. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Man, there's some crazy shit going on out here. Vampires, Goth kids, Chicks that are dudes and vice versa. You gotta be careful.

26. Yup...I've been in 4 different clubs at 4 different times in my life. Only 1 was inclusive of wives and girlfriends as members....didn't work out for us. Way too much bickering about unimmportant matters and jealosies with the women as members...sorry but it's true. If the women thought their men were being treated unfairly, they'd fight with each other.
    Our current club is great...we meet about every 10-12 years. Some guys , including the old president, don't even have cars anymore except modern daily drivers.
    We charged a small fee every year as dues but we made our money by throwing an annual swap meet. We rented a high school parking lot one Sunday every summer [$28] and collected fees for spaces. In the winter we'd go to a nice resturaunt for a big dinner..blow all the $$$ on food/drink. Worked out nice. Last time we did that was in 1991..
    It's almost time for another meeting!

27. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Oooooooooooooh...................I have to agree.:eek:

28. x2!!!!

29. Also, I have a car club idea in mind. I'm taking all the feedback that's on this thread and filtering it. I'm going to keep processing...

30. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

No drama in my club .....

[​IMG]

We "card" everyone and once you're in, you're in for life.