Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 S10 Transmission with Mustang T5 Gears

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Dec 1, 2010.

1. I want to put gears from a Mustang T5 into the case of a S10 T5. Before you say that its easier to swap tailshafts with a Camaro T5, I know. I'm not stupid. Just a little slow. Too slow for the special olympics. Damn it.... I got both of these, Mustang and S10, transmissions for super cheap. Almost five finger discount. Anyways, my question is whether or not the input shafts have the same gear, or if they are different. I'd like to use either an S10 input shaft with the Mustang gears, or buy a new Camaro input shaft with the Mustang gears.

2. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

I think the determining factor is if the Mustang gears are World Class or not. I would think that the Non World Class S10 case will not accept the WC gears; the bearings that hold the shafts in the case I will bet are different diameters. It may be that there are NWC Mustang trans's out there but I don't know that for a fact. Hopefully someone who knows will respond.

3. I don't know for sure, but mustang WC T5's are much cheaper than Camaro T5's and are much more readily available.

4. eldercaddy

eldercaddy

Not sure on this, they have the same gear but the difference is the Camaro is more original and expensive than the Mustang T5. :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  5. Just Jones

Just Jones

Huh?:confused:

6. granny

granny
    from WA state

I have swapped input shafts between a 6cyl Camaro box and a 4 cyl Ford box...both had a 4.03 1st and had the same tooth count/pitch/dia on the input shaft gear, but the Chev version had a 1"x14 spline input and the Ford was 1-1/16"x10. I ended up installing the Ford gears and cluster in the Chevy case with the Chevy input shaft and the Chevy mainshaft...

Granny

7. Bringing this back up. Can you put mustang T5 guts in an s10 case?

8. WC have tapered bearings, non WC have ball bearings.If their both WC I would think it would work.Ford went WC way before GM so theres a good chance the Ford is WC.Might be easier to put the S10 tailshaft housing ,and shift cover on the Ford,and use a adapter plate.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Nailhead Jason likes this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

What breaks on non WC T5s on hard launches?

10. Small input shaft would be one.

blowby likes this.
  11. that’s kinda what I was thinking.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

So the WC takes a different clutch disc?