Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old MGs as Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintageauto, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Does anyone have an old MG...TD..TC? as a Hot Rod? Back in the good ole days, there was a 49 MG running around with a 289 Ford in it...man did that thing fly. I know there are some kit cars out there with VW drivetrains.

I'm getting ready to list one for a client and I'm thinking of some of the Hot Rod internet sites to get it out there. I have pics if you want to see it.

Murph

2. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Don't Have one, But i once looked at one in Mid~Cal that was For Sale that had a complete Ford V8-60 conversion done Looong ago.

Pretty Damn Cool I thought.

3. They do have a nice long hood to hide a straight six with triple carbs. Let,s see the pic,s then.

4. Master of None

Master of None

There used to be a old MG not sure of the model, running around my area someone had crammed a hot 327 Chevy in it. If I remember/ was told correctly it didn't end well.... I will see if I can find a picture.

5. Here are some pics. The car is for sale...I'll be up there tomorrow getting more photos of the MG and a 1937 Supercharged Cord Phaeton...the real deal...not a replica!!

Attached Files:

6. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

DSC00026.jpg Still a work in progress, but goes quite well so far. A 52 TD, 37 60hp, 3 speed toploader, TD axle with 3.9 gears.

7. Marvin...That looks sweet!!!

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

There was one running around SFV with a tunnel rammed sbc. I heard it ran 10's.

9. earlymopar

earlymopar

My brother's girl friend's family had a "TF" model in the early 60's here in Oregon that was a National Record Holder in NHRA. It ran an injected Studebaker and regularly put down 130+ MPH 10 second runs.

- EM

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Here's mine. This has been a race car with a SBC since 1962. Originally had a V-8 -60 in 1961.Restored by brother Mike and myself in 2009 40 plus years after it last ran.

Pat

Attached Files:

11. I got a TD tub that was a race car once. Maybe someday if I get my shit together it will be again.

They make good race cars for sure.

12. exartist

exartist

Was that your V8 TD at F40's Cars & Coffee a few months ago?

13. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Strictly speaking, maybe not a HAMB-style hot rod but Carol Shelby raced it and it looks cool.

Attached Files:

• mgtc.jpg
      mgtc.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
  14. MGB 8 cyl are fast as hell, but I don't have any pics.

15. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Here's one from the early sixties.

Attached Files:

16. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

That was me at F40's. Will be a bit brisk this Saturday for the 60hp (no top or side curtains), but will probably drive over in my stock TD with top and side curtain.

17. KIRK!

KIRK!

Not an MG, but a way cool V8-powered Austin Healey from the Pacific Northwest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice. Walks like a duck, looks like a duck . . . .

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Love these. I had a friend in the 70's with a ex-factory road racer MG-TD (I think) with a seriously hopped banger, cycle fenders in the front and solid steel wheels. Very quick. Like a mini-high boy gone road racing. Would have been nicer with vintage mags, but he wanted to keep it "stock" - Ha Ha. Gary

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  20. wood470

wood470

That Healey is a good lookin car, and with a V8 it should be a runner too

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

It was my lucky day... I went to Sebring today for the first day of the Bobby Rahal Legends of Motorsports historic race and spied this beauty. Sorry to say I didn't have time to stop and ask questions or search out the owner. It dripped with penash, a variety of vapors, and some inky black liquids. Loved every used and abused inch of it. Yes, Virginina, that's a supercharged MG. Cool fenders and brackets and Firestones. Several other rods there, too, amongst the 962s and vintage CanAM cars. Later, Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  22. jimvette59

jimvette59

I remember a brown 50s MGTD running around Mcdonalds on Montauk Hwy. Bayshore NY in the 60s. It had a 283 in it I think.

23. Rocket-Boy

Rocket-Boy

im sorry MG's are just plain gay, and if your gay.... you might be a MG

24. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

My wife's Dad raced a TD with a V8-60 in So Cal in the mid-50s. Here he is racing at Palm Springs in (I think) 1954.

[​IMG]

Kurt O.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

An early photo of the Don Noyes built and driven "U.S.Mule II", the 392 HEMI ran 3 4 barrels at this time. Later on blown and injected it won the US Nationals in 1965 AAM/SP. I sold it about about 4 years ago, it is Oregon now.

Attached Files:

26. 1952henry

1952henry

Nice car!

27. Oh my GOD! This might be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen!:eek: :cool:

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Uncle Bob ! If that's not a hotrod then it's awful damn close. In fact, if you get hung up on the semantics then I'd say you just miss the whole "go fast" point.

With apologies in advance Uncle Bob (and vintageauto), I would like to quote from Uncle Bob's thread (above):

This car has a fabulous history and has been worked by many of the notables in Southern California hot rod history. It was originally built for a So. Cal. Real estate developer in 1948, with the flathead version V8 60, by a couple guys you may have heard of. Doane Spencer and Alex Xydias. That owner raced the airfield road courses of the day with a hired driver until he sold the car to Pat in 1952. . . . Along with the work he did himself he hired out other aspects of the build to another group of folks you may recognize: Dean Moon, Fred Larsen, Dick Kraft, and Hill & Vaughan. The intake system, along with the front drive on the engine were the direct handy work of Fred Larsen of Larsen & Cummins fame.

Awesome! I think this answers vintageauto's original quetion in post #1.