Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas Year of Manufacture Plates Going Away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottybaccus, Nov 3, 2010.

1. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Here's an ugly heads up for you: "Year of Manufacture Plates" or "Year of Make" plates will not be approved after January 1, 2011. (I think I lost a bet on this..) Iy your plates have been approved by Jan. 1, you should be OK.

<O:p</O:pIt reads that cars registered as "Classic" must have the YOM plates approved before Jan 1, 2011; However cars registered as "Antique" appear to retain the option. There is one concern that bears clarification. It looks like those will expire in 5 years. Can they then be re-approved? Probably,

Here's the code from the current TX Transportation Code:

SUBCHAPTER F. SPECIALTY LICENSE PLATES FOR CERTAIN VEHICLES

re: classic plates

Text of section effective until September 01, 2011

Sec. 504.501. CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES. (a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old. The license plates must include the words "Classic Auto," "Classic Motorcycle," or "Classic Truck" or a similar designation, as appropriate.

(b) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use license plates that were issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle and are approved by the department. The department may require the attachment of a registration insignia to the license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of information originally on the license plate.

(c) The fee for issuance or approval of license plates under this section is $15.

Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1320, Sec. 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Amended by:

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1136, Sec. 32, eff. September 1, 2011.
    See this at the bottom of this section...

Text of section effective on September 01, 2011
    Sec. 504.501. CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAVEL TRAILERS. (a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old. The license plates must include the word "Classic" or a similar designation, as appropriate.

(b) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use license plates that were issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle and are approved by the department if the plates are approved for the vehicle before January 1, 2011. The department may require the attachment of a registration insignia to the license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of information originally on the license plate.

(c) There is no fee for issuance or approval of license plates under this section.

Amended by:

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1136, Sec. 32, eff. September 1, 2011.

SECTION 32. Section 504.501, Transportation Code, is amended to read as follows:

Sec. 504.501. CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAVEL TRAILERS.

(a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a motor

vehicle that is at least 25 years old. The license plates must

include the word "Classic" [words "Classic Auto," "Classic

Motorcycle," or "Classic Truck"] or a similar designation, as

appropriate.

(b) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use

license plates that were issued by this state in the same year as

the model year of the vehicle and are approved by the department if

the plates are approved for the vehicle before January 1, 2011. The

department may require the attachment of a registration insignia to

the license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of

information originally on the license plate.

(c) There is no [The] fee for issuance or approval of

license plates under this section [is $15].

re: antique plates

Sec. 504.502. CERTAIN EXHIBITION VEHICLES; OFFENSE. (a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a passenger car, truck, motorcycle, or former military vehicle that:

(1) is at least 25 years old, if the vehicle is a passenger car, truck, or motorcycle;

(2) is a collector's item;

(3) is used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest and is not used for regular transportation; and

(4) does not carry advertising.

(b) The license plates must include the words "Antique Auto," "Antique Truck," "Antique Motorcycle," or "Military Vehicle," as appropriate.

(c) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use license plates issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle and approved by the department, provided that a passenger car must bear passenger car or truck license plates and a truck must bear passenger car or truck license plates. The department may require attachment of a registration insignia to the license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of information originally on the license plate.

(d) License plates issued or approved under this section expire on the fifth anniversary of the date of issuance or approval.
    (e) The fee for issuance or approval of license plates under this section is:

(1) $10 for each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year registration period if the vehicle was manufactured in 1921 or later; or

(2) $8 for each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year registration period if the vehicle was manufactured before 1921.

(f) The department may exempt a former military vehicle from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military markings. The department may approve an alternative registration insignia that is compatible with the vehicle's original markings.

(g) A person entitled to specialty license plates or to department approval under this section may register the vehicle without payment of any fees paid for or at the time of registration except the fee for the license plate. An owner of a vehicle registered under this subsection who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $5 or more than $200.

(h) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle issued license plates under Subsection (a) shall be required to attach and display only one license plate on the rear of the vehicle.
    (i) In this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that:

(1) was manufactured for use in any country's military forces; and

(2) is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

(j) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution of an offense under this section that at the time of the offense the vehicle was en route to or from a location for the purpose of routine maintenance of the vehicle.

Amended by:

Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1318, Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2005.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Tricky wording, but it doesn't look like it pertains to all old vehicles. Why would they do this? YOM plates just means more money for the DMV.

-KK

4. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Wow..... Texas isnt too far behind on the long list of dumb rules......

5. RAY With

RAY With

Just another dumb ass law we have to keep an eye on and try to block it or get it changed if possible.Flooding the Governors office and the DMVwith email could help if they do cut out the old plates.

6. Damn! I only have two months to find a pair of 1964 plates!!!! I've been checkin ebay, but most are either overpriced, or too beat up!!!!

7. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

8. Nomadness

Nomadness

I saw a 58 Chevy at Charlotte GoodGuys that had a 58 Repro Plate that said "1 cool 58" it is assholes like that who will mess things up for people going the legal route.

9. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

nothing better to do here in Texas apparently..

10. 54BOMB

54BOMB

That sucks, Ive got my 1930 plates and a partially built car, I need to jump on this before the end of the year.

11. Anderson

Anderson

The majority of guys with old cars have them registered as "Antiques" anyway, which will still allow you to run the YOM plates.

If you're registered as a "classic auto" then you are screwed. But I can't think of a single person I know who has theirs registered as "classic auto" instead of "antique".

"Antique'" registration is for a 5 year period,whether you have YOM plates or not. All it means is that you will have to go renew your registration every 5 years, regardless of plates, just like you already do..

Calm down folks...

12. Larry T

Larry T

IF YOM plates are only allowed on Antique registration, wouldn't that be a way of identifing you using your Antique registered car as a daily driver? Not that anyone would do that.
    Larry T

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Yeah, just another way for them to keep an eye on us "Hoodlums" :rolleyes:

14. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Guys, the best thing to do is write a letter to the crooked polititians that run the state expressing your concern for this law. Get a petition going against this ignorant law that slipped through the cracks by some lobbyist moron who probably makes a profit off the sales of the license plates decals to the state or something. Contact SEMA. We can make this go away. We are the people, we have the rights.

15. russ1403

russ1403

016.jpg just found this thread,,figured id try and save a old pair of plates,,anybody interested in the hit me up via pm,,they are 1937 farm plates,,im not sure what they can be used on down there in texas but i figure before they cant be used and sit in a box of plates forever id offer them to anybody interested,,

16. TxRat

TxRat

I hope this is correct. I read the antique section and that "appears" to be unchanged...

I think as I read it is that you cannot run YOM plates on a "classic" registered vehicle...

17. Pretty sure you can't drive on the street with farm plates.

As long as it's "classic" and not "antique", who cares? Right?

18. My family has farm plates on every vehicle we have, besides my old caddy. I don;t know how it applies to vintage farm plates, but the newer ones can be driven everywhere.

19. Last I heard from a friend living in TX, is that you can NOT run YOM farm tags at all in TX

20. That's what I read on several YOM vendor sites.

21. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

IIRR, Classic Registration allows you to drive your car daily, Antique has very limited driving privileges such as to and on Parades, etc.

I like to drive my crap to work. Antique registration won't let you do this.

Why is Texas doing this? $$$$$$. Plain and simple. Of course you can order specialized plates for a fee.

22. BISHOP

BISHOP

This is true.

23. "Antique registration won't let you do this." Technically, but who's to know you aren't "testing" the carb you just rebuilt? Never known of anyone being hassled, unless they are driving like an asshole. Especially a nicely done car, that looks like the owner is a successful taxpayer, not a rat rod.

24. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

I've been running 1950 TX farm tags now for over 6 years with no problem. Just renewed them last year for 5 more. They are registered as antique on my '50 F1.

25. BISHOP

BISHOP

Well, the law changed 9/2010. No YOM dealer plates, no YOM farm plates. Maybe you slipped through the cracks somewhere, dont tell anyone.

26. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I just registered 3 of my cars today. All with YOM plates. I talked to the people there and they said it really doesn't change much. Just register it properly and you can still run the YOM plates. Seems like every couple of months somebody gets everyone scared over nothing...

27. Sounds about right. The DMV here doesn't seem too picky about old cars.

28. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

I've run my 46 Farm tag for almost 8 years now. They changed the law in 2010, but if you had 'em before that, they were grandfathered in. I also learned early on to keep the laws relating to those tags printed out, and in the truck at all times.

29. Skidmore

Skidmore
    from San Marcos

This really sucks, thanks for the heads up I still have two more sets of plates I need to get registered.

30. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I don't register anything as "Classic" anyway. Everything is "Antique". Even my '56 F100 with Farm Truck plates that is driven every single day.