Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dodge 230 Flathead trans options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocknroad, Nov 29, 2010.

1. rocknroad

rocknroad
    1. SoCal HAMBers

Ive got a 54' plymouth with a 230 flat head six with a powerflite trans(2 spd). I'd like to bolt on a 3 or 4spd mopar auto(727 or 904) with overdrive. The motor is rebuilt. I'm looking for something that would make it more drivable and easier for the wife.

I think it would help on the highway and they often have a lower first gear for help with LA traffic. They are little torque monsters.

The floor has already been cut so modifying it and/or the driveshaft is okay. Mostly I need to know what bolts up to the engine and what other parts I'd need(ie torque converter, starter, ect)

They are cool engines, so I'd like to use it without spending too much $$

2. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

I have a 230 too. Cool topic even though I know nothing.
    Bump!

3. hkestes

hkestes

Check in at the P15-D24 site there has been some discussion over there on this subject.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/index.php?referrerid=1152

Also check with Olddaddy here on the HAMB he does disc brake kits for the old Mopars as well as splitting manifolds for the Mopar flatheads. At one point I know he was working on an adaptor for a 727 or 904 to the flathead.

4. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

i see Wilcap has an adaptor but it lets ya use a gm BOP auto trans

5. pm 73RR, he has em.

6. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I'm curious myself since I have a Gyro-matic that makes clicking and clunking sounds.

7. rocknroad

rocknroad
    1. SoCal HAMBers

I saw the wilcap one, but I'd like to keep it mopar if possible. If not a 700R4 could be a good option and there are a few of those around.

8. Im a MopAr guy and am all for keepin it all MoPar - but a 518 is bulky and will take usable HP from your drive wheels.

Also, a 200R4 would be a better choice over the 700R4, handle the HP/TQ easily and will suck less HP/TQ thru the drivetrain.

Check it out !!

Rat

9. 73RR

73RR

Jeeesh Frank, those shiverlay parts got 'nuthin on a A-500.....