Register now to get rid of these ads!

52-54 Ford Chops done right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, Nov 29, 2010.

1. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Thinking of lowering the roof on my 52 Ford for quite a while now. The only problem is Im having a really hard time finding one chopped that looks right to me. Some of them look pretty good, but cutting the roof for pretty good wont do.

I think it really has to do with the flatness of the upper front windshield, the enormous roof/rear window line and the trunk. I just can't seem to find one that flows the way I think it should, or to use for inspiration and reference. Anyone have pics or thoughts?

*edit- I added a photochop I did that is close, maybe not so much taken out, but I think the lines flow ok. Definitely makes my car look longer and not so stubby.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. Squablow

Squablow

I know what you mean. Mine is kinda square looking with the stock rear window, I've got a rear roof section from a '49 Merc that I'm going to use on it when I redo it. It's too boxy, needs more slope-y-ness.

I might also take some length out of the rear quarter windows, they seem too long in proportion to the doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

back up there

4. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

hey Slmlrd, IMHO the wraparound glass is really hard to do and make it look right. Mine has a 50 chevy window that I really like the proportions of. 4 - 5 inches also seems about right too, so that it doesnt get that sqiushed look, YMMV though.

5. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Yeah man, your cars proportions look like they work. I know what you mean by the rear window too. The 50's ford/chevy rear window seems to be the consensus around here as well.. Just want to make it look right!!!

6. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Just a suggestion from someone that has done it, make it about 3 in the front and 5 in the back', If you look at your Photo chop it deffinately is lower in the back. Gets that sleek look that way.
    Lay the windshield back and the rear window forward, or replace it with a early 50's Chevy rear window
    By the way, my Avatar is a 52 ford

7. IMHO one of the toughest cars to chop and make it look right. Ihave seen too many where the sail panel ends up being overly large with the rear window they chjoose to use. The 49 Ford rear glass looks good. I think you need a slope on these chops othere wise they end up looking like a automobile cookie jar and the roof is the lid!!!

8. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Thank you for the advice and numbers!!

9. missysdad1

missysdad1

There's a reason you haven't been able to find any '52-'54 Ford sedan chops that look good...

:)

10. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

I agree with you 100%!! Finding an example of one done the way I want mine to be done is proving hard to do. Will surely be doing my homework on this job. No cookie jar cars for me! :D

11. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Please explain, I want to learn something. And I didnt say any I said MANY :)

12. thesupersized

thesupersized

I usually hate 52-56 sedans chopped...but there was one on the hamb a few years ago that looked real good, but then it got in terrible car accident, the car was flatblack, but the chop looked good! anyone have pics?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  13. Rikster

Rikster

Chopped... and sectioned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clarkaiser built this one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Squablow

Squablow

I like that one that Rik just posted. Has just the right ratio of rear quarter window to door glass. It's like halfway between business coupe and 2 door sedan. I'm saving those pics for future reference when I redo my '53. Still going to use the jailbar Merc rear window though. My current stock sunken one leaks and it's too hard to get it to seal properly.

I don't like these chopped more in the rear than the front, the roof crown is too flat to pull off that look. I think you need a really rounded roofline to pull that off.

15. missysdad1

missysdad1

This one isn't bad, but for the most part chopping these cars only makes them look different, it does not make them look better...in my humble opinion.

[​IMG]

And if chopping doesn't make them look better, what's the point?

[​IMG]

Especially on your car, which I've told you before is one of the best looking semi-customs of the vintage that I've seen. It's just right the way it is.

:)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  16. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Opinion noted and respected. Thank you!!

17. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

A couple pics of mine, before I took her apart..... again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Heres one my friend is Billy doing. He's using a 51 Merc. Cosmopolitan back window.

Attached Files:

19. Squablow

Squablow

The one above looks good, canted pillars and all. Those Cosmo rear windows are HUGE, but it looks at home there, eats up some C pillar which can get pretty thick looking with a small rear window. I know where I could get a Cosmo one, maybe I'll consider that. Would like to see finished pics of it when it's done, please update.

20. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

21. TRAMPKING

TRAMPKING
    from SGV

22. custom53

custom53

check out the one in my avitar. there are more in my album.

23. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

To help in the ease of laying the window back and the shorter profile alot of people use a hard top windshld. Saves from cutting the glass never done one myself but a old timer friend of mine sez this was the way they use to do it. I think he said the hardtop glass is about 3 inches shorter.

24. Squablow

Squablow

Can anyone confirm this? I'd like to know, when I redo mine I might do it to hardtop height if this is true, although to me the hardtop windshield doesn't look 3 inches shorter, my car is chopped 4 inches and my windshield seems tiny in comparison.

25. As you and I discussed weeks ago most don't look right with a chop. I do like Red Baron's and I think its because it's not the same back window as original. Another point you and I talked about was the rear not looking long enough. I think this can be taken care of when you slant the rear windshield by taking some of the sail area out, maybe elongating the quarter window another inch and removing the rain gutter altogether. It's a difficult thing to do without making this car look stupid. I like you car as the way it is now. I don't think mine will get the chop job just because it is too easily messed up, unless you can pull this off.

Also the B pillar slant is important to the way it looks too.

26. atomickustom

atomickustom

That is a tough one. One thing I can tell you for certain, do NOT lengthen the roof! I've seen two of them chopped that way and it is not a pretty sight.
    Perhaps you should post a nice side view photo of your car on the "Photoshop thread to end all photoshop threads" and ask for some photo chops?

27. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

IMHO they look kinda funny with the rain gutters removed, but that is just my opionion, and you know what means.

Somewhere I saw a pic of one with a 51 mercury cosmo window that looks very promising. :)

28. I too agree that these will look a bit goofy without the rain gutter.

29. desertdroog

desertdroog

30. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

woops.. wrong thread