Register now to get rid of these ads!

Asbestos in my truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Midwest Rodder, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Alright I feel kind of dumb asking this BUT I am striping the cab of my 46 Chevy truck to get it ready to do a chop on it and the thought crossed my mind about asbestos being in the sound deadening mat that is glued to the roof under the headliner. I haven't had to remove these before and for some reason I thought I better get someone elses oponion. So do they have asbestos or not?

2. treat it like it does. take it outside, cover up, bag it.

3. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I've actually never thought about the possibility of asbestos in any of my old cars.

4. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Not even in the brakes?

5. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

Spray it down with water to keep the dust down

6. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

hmmm... interesting point....im with kyron

7. cheveey57

cheveey57

wear a cheap dust mask if worried, but the amount of asbestos dust (if there is any) would be so minimal that it wouldn;'t hurt you unless you did it eveyday for years and years.

8. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Okay I did think of that :p

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Actually, Ass is Bestest in a larger sedan - trucks are just too cramped.

Sorry...couldn't stand it....

10. i agree as above mentioned. wet it down. my pickup was so moist inside i didnt have to worry about it but that stuff is pretty nasty to tear out. wetting it helps

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Plenty of asbestos in many old cars. I used to work for an asbestos-defense firm, we had a chart showing old cars and where the stuff was often used. On top of the headliner, and the firewall padding are spots where it was commonly found. Obviously, brakes and clutches are major areas where the stuff was found.

Be really careful with stuff like this. Especially if you smoke. Smoking makes matters soooo much worse since it breaks down your body's natural defenses to airborne threats. If you're working with stuff you know contains asbestos, don't wash the clothes. The fibers cant be destroyed and they will stay in the washing machine, to contaminate your other clothes and those of your family. Be careful, and everything will be cool.

12. specialk

specialk

Truly one of the worst answers to an important technical question that I've ever read ANYWHERE.

If you are concerned about asbestos, have it appropriately abated. BY A PROFESSIONAL.

BTW, have you seen the suits that the asbestos abatement people wear? A cheap mask isn't going to help.

13. subdajj

subdajj

If your are concerned about the Asbestos, have you thought about the lead in the paint?

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the thing about asbestos is the airborn dust. as stated wet it down before removing.

15. False economy.

Don't waste money on a cheap dust mask. Buy a proper one that seals properly around your nose and mouth.

There are other dust diseases besides those produced by asbestos. So, whether it is asbestos or not when messing around with old, dusty friable material like this it is always good practice to use proper safety gear.

If that material is asbestos you need to stabilize that material. Treat it seriously. Dampening that material is a good start. Keep it wet whilst your are handling it.

You should make some inquiries about how to deal with this material in your area.

http://www.asbestos.net/asbestos-products/automotive-hood-liners.html

16. bill3337

bill3337

Not sure around there, but here you can take a small sample and have it tested. If no asbestos, just wear a dust mask and spray it with spray adhesive to keep the fibres in. If it has asbestos, either hire an abatement contractor or proper protective gear.

17. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Thanks for the info guys, I will wet it down real good before I take it down. I have not thought about lead in the paint and that dosen't really apply to this truck as the paint is long since gone on this one. Again, thanks for the information.

18. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

what about rat crap.. bird crap .. cat crap .. racoon crap ... all carry disease .
    we had a late model car in our shop with rat eaten wires , the insurance company totaled the car could'nt gaurantee total clean up . Bill Murray wore a total abatement suit and still ate the turd / baby ruth .

19. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

I always wondered about the 60s when cars sat in trafic bumper to bumper , clutches brakes and a fine dust blowing all around and this went on for over 40 years . I have to wonder about the risque involved while the said truck was in use also we should be all dead and yet....

20. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: They should change the name of this place to "Ask the Health & Safety Police!".

Yes, as stated you should definitely call in a professional asbestos removal contractor, file a report with the EPA, DEQ, and your local Wildlife and Fisheries. Also remember if you do wet it down, that involves water, so you will need to notify the US Coast Guard. And....., if you plan to be on site while the asbestos contractor is removing the stuff, you should get a NASA full body containment suit with fresh air supply, and a canary in a cage just to be sure.

You should budget at least $50k for equipment and contractor services, and about 18 months from now (after the results of the impact study are in), you can move forward with your project.:rolleyes:

21. RDR

RDR

hahhaaha......the world is SOO scared of all the shit we grew up with....sell it now before it kills you.....I know a car that the kid found lead in and was scared to death, wanted it off his property and sold it fairly cheap....ended up being Dick Bertoluccis' '38 chopped/custom Chevy that he had on his honeymoon trip to Bonneville in 40's. The good news is that it's back in Dicks' possession.... that tar paper in the roof shouldn't be a problem if you don't eat it...Look at Billy Hines 85+ years old,slinging lead and smoking cigars...and we all grew up in houses and school rooms with the wonder material ASBESTOS.....now the new terrible fear is the carcinogenic that comes off the newer car plastic dash/interior on a hot day...what me worry....don't want to live to a hundred anyway....

22. yruhot

yruhot

I would recomend just using some common sense, Don't eat the stuff and for Gods sake don't snort the stuff and you should be ok. And remember none of us are going to get out of here alive anyway so enjoy your project and your life. yruhot

23. Aint it true that one fibre will do it?..:eek:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  24. X2. Also wear at minimum a decent half face respirator (p2) and hose it down with a pva/water mix both before during and after removal. If it's the friable stuff full face mask and double bag everything.
    Disposable coveralls also.

If it's the tar paper stuff, I wouldn't be too concerned, just hose it down.

25. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Asbestos can be in the insulation on old wiring,the seals between hood and cab,fender welts etc.
    Although one fibre can be enough to bring on asbestosis,or Mesothelioma it would be extremely unlikely but keeping it wet is the easiest way to minimize fibre release which is where the problem lies,and a good respirator with hepa filters.
    Wearing a cheap pair of disposable gloves will be a good idea too because there are such things as asbestos warts.
    Same practices for animal crap too,better to be safe then sorry.
    Bob (hazardous material removal for way too many years).

Just for the record I had a friend who installed asbestos containing ceiling tiles for 6 months and he got asbestosis so it is possible in a relatively short amount of time.

26. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

It always amazes me just how stupid some answers to a perfectly legitimate question can be.

27. 42coupe

42coupe

-----------------------
    Exactly. One fibre is all it takes. Long term exposure increases the odds that you'll get a fibre into your lungs. Treat is seriously and use caution when removing.

28. willys1330

willys1330

Spending my whole life doing constuction work.I have been exposed to it more times than I can count! No care was taken because we did not know any better but if you are careful and wet it down and wear a mask you will be fine for the small amount you are working with. My dad told me when they were putting it on Ductwork in the 1940's - 50's they would be covered with it if had snow ball fights with it! Still doing good. If you have ever worked on a old house Shingles, Plaster, Insulation, Flooring, Sideing and the list goes on has Asbestos in it. You don't hear much about that because no one could afford to have a old house. When you do construction work you get Exposed to not so good things all the time but this is what I choose to do. This is How are country got Built and it still happens today. I could go on to the long list of the other things I have been exposed to, Lead , pcp's, amonia, fosgene gas and on and on....

29. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

My scrap metal buddy makes millions scrapping cars and says all old cars should be crushed......
    Talk to someone who either has asbestos related cancer or watched someone die from it ,then come back with a sensible answer.

30. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

One thing that the abatement contractors do is put a little amount of soap in the water being sprayed on the asbestos being removed. It makes what is called "amended water". The soap makes the asbestos fibers stick to the water better, and leaves a bit of residue to help retain them in place after the water dries. If you want a respirator, you need one with the purple cartridges that are rated for asbestos work. A regular dust mask is useless because the asbestos fibers that cause the problems are so small they go right through them. When you get everything cleaned up, seal it up in a heavy plastic bag for disposal. ;)