Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- fuel pumps and covers- timing, valley and valve/rocker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 5, 2006.

1. theoneyouhate

theoneyouhate
    from Atlanta

ok so i question this guy on ebay about his stock chrysler firepower valve covers. I asked if they are bumped for adjustable rockers he said they werent but he had a set just like em that are chrome on a 650 horse blown 392 and its fine. I really want to ask him if he hears a knocking sound when he fires that thing up. unless im missing something you have to have bumped covers for adjustable rockers correct?

2. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I sell laser cut valve cover spacers for those who want to use adjustable rockers with non dimpled covers.

It may be possible to use stock (flat) covers without spacers with R.A.S. converted rockers. I have never mocked them up to see.

3. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I have stock Red Ram valve covers with adjustable rockers.The only rockers that need the bump is the exhaust and they can be modified. Rocker Arms Specialty did mine, work great..
    Duane.

4. David Walter

David Walter
    from Troy,Al

I built my 354 when there were very few after market parts and accessories available, sorry if my engine looks a little dirty it has about 240,000 miles since I rebuilt it about 18 years ago. Did you drive your Hemi to work today?
    I got my adapters from Kent Redd: Distributer, oil pump for SB Mopar, oil filter B/RB Mopar, Bob Walker at Power Play (now Hot Heads) gave me free info on using SB Mopar double roller chain & gears and lifters without modification.
    B/RB Mopar lifters (yes, look it up in an old parts store book, 67 and back are the same part number as the 354 & 392)
    After I kept tearing up cast iron TF's, a friend Mickey Cox (I'm sorry to say now deceased) made my adapter in his basement for my 727 TF with manual valve body.
    EGGE 20 over cast pistons (they were the only ones that had 354 pistons)
    Lunoti in Memphis reground my cam to an old Iski grind called Road and Drag.
    Stock intake with spread adapter with phenolic block for AFB.
    Valley cover: shortened filler, cut draft pipe, welded & installed PCV valve.
    Mopar Performance Electronic ignition (I ran the orig dual point for 2 years before I built the engine).
    Stock pulleys crank, spacer under W/P small pulleys (got rid of huge generator pulleys), made my own alternator & P/S mounts.
    Stock timing cover, fuel pump block off, still has fuel pump eccentric and orig hardware, with SB double roller chain & gears it works.
    I've had some question the things I did above, remember how many miles I said above? I was probably wrong on the miles, it's probably MORE!

Attached Files:

Mikus Maximus likes this.
  5. Very Very nice HemiRambler and Quick Hemi. Rambler did you cross bolt the main caps with that girdle/pan? That really is trick.

6. aircoup

aircoup

:cool:hey does any one out there know where i can find a timing cover to fit a58 354 so i can get rid of that ugly front mount setup came out of a d-700 with no water holes in the heads

7. George

George

If the timing cover has 1 bolt @ 12 O'clock you have the truck block pattern. You can use the 51-4 car cover, cleaner than the Ind cover & the truck. The Hot Heads no fuel pump cover would be a lot cleaner & has the adaptors for the chevy water pump. If the cover has bolts @ 11 & 1 you actually have the car pattern & a car cover will fit. Do an Intro also!

8. aircoup

aircoup

do ya know where i can find a timing cover to fit my 58-354 dodge come out of a d-700 have that big bulky timingcover/motormount combo that wont work in my 31coupe pm me if ya can help

9. aircoup

aircoup

thanks george do ya know where i can find one hotheads is kind o pricey beer budget ya know i guess i have the 51-4 car type you described have bolt hole at 12,oclock

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hemidude. Not to burst your bubble here buddy, but if you're on a beer budget, just look for stock parts from another motor that has the mounting you would prefer. You might get lucky and find the Hot Heads cover on Ebay or something, but I think you are going to run into other problems if you're trying to build an early Hemi on a "beer budget".

How's your fabrication skills? Maybe you could make a front cover?

11. George

George

A 51-3 car 1 might show up on EBay, or put in wanted section of HAMB classifieds & @ the Hot Heads 4 sale/wanted section

12. krooser

krooser

Try the classifieds....

13. 73RR

73RR

...and that's the truth.....

14. So just so I'm clear, you can use 354/392 front covers on a 331? If you swap to a 354 cam shaft and retainer set-up of course.

What about oil pan issues...I thought I read somewhere that the 331 had a different pan then the 354/392?

15. George

George

Covers swap, but...there are 2 different ones. Some have a bolt @ 12 O'clock & some have bolts @ 11 & 1, they don't interchange. Long tail pans don't with short tail pans, so there are 2 for the 331.

16. 73RR

73RR

No, NOT 354-392.
    Every truck engine (Chrysler) I have seen uses the same bolt pattern on the front as does the 51-54 331. So on a '58 354 truck engine, it will accept the 51-54 pass car water pump housing/chain case. You can then run either style of camshaft. Pan remains 331.

BTW, there is no documentation for a oem 392 truck.

17. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

Sorry, but you are wrong here. For automotive applications 55 and up 331, 354 and 392's all had a separate water crossover manifold which incorporated the thermostat housing. Only the 51-54 331's had the thermostat housing in the intake manifold. Trucks and industrial engines differ some.

As you can see my '55 331 below has stock 55 heads with the stock separate water crossover manifold.

[​IMG]

18. 73RR

73RR

Sorry DemonSeed, but krooser is correct. You have a 57-58 t-stat housing. ALL 55-56 pass car Chrysler engines have a t-stat housing physically connected to, and part of the water pump housing; all 57-58 are a separate part, like yours.

19. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

You're absolutely right. Don't know what I was thinking. Forgot all about the crossover being part of the pump housing till '57. Probably because that's about the first part I junk when disassembly starts. I'm not a big fan of early hemi water pumps so I never use the stock housings.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  20. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

Here's the CAL MARINE cover that was on my 392 when I pulled it out of the boat, It's a cool piece but I don't know if I'll use it because it has no fuel pump boss, might be for sale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Just for referrence, here's the Delta timing cover I'll be using on the digger. Note the extra bearing to support the crank and the extra load from the blower pulley.

[​IMG]

22. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I thought I would post some pictures of my aftermarket valley covers, since not much on that topic has been discussed here.
    These include the front fill Chrysler, front fill Dodge, plain Chrysler and Desoto, as well as the new zinc plated steel Chryslers that I just introduced.

Attached Files:

23. George

George

Up on Forwardlook a guy bought a 56 Chrysler that had been cut in to a pick up farm implement P.O.S. Did have 1 interesting mod. The wire covers had holes drilled in them to allow use of standard lenth wire set while still having the cover pressing on the tube seals to keep them from leaking. Should work fine if your car has a hood to keep the rain out, or the seal on the wires trick.

24. krooser

krooser

Hey...I'm finally right about something! I'm going to have to let my wife know...

25. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

How about a pic of a stock 392,showing wp,t cover,and thermostat housing.thanks

26. 73RR

73RR

27. George

George

If anyone needs Power Giant decals a guy posted on another Forum that an EBay seller using the name vintagevwbunny:)eek:) has them.

28. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I actually emailed the decal seller, but no response. Those decals are copied directly from a thread I was involved in over on the Power Wagon site. They are close, but not 100% accurate..... in both font and size.

29. 73RR

73RR

...an easy way to avoid copyright issues...

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So is there anyone reproducing any of the above timing covers and separate water cross-over/thermostat housings that DON'T use a GM water pump?