Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oldsmobile Corvette??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papajohn, Nov 28, 2010.

1. papajohn

papajohn

I got this email from a friend. Pretty neat. But, is it real?

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>World's rarest Car RAREST RAREST C RAREST CAR

This is the car that in 1954 could have "killed" the Corvette. So, Chevrolet, being GM's big sales and profit division, campaigned to GM to "kill" this car. When Chevy was coming out with its 6-cyl. Sports car with its 2-speed "powerglide" transmission and side curtains, here was a sports car from Olds with a big old V-8 and power windows.

So, GM said no to Oldsmobile on building this car.

The world's rarest automobile: a 1954 Concept Old's Rocket F88 - the only one in existence. (read the story below)

John S. Hendricks, (Discovery Communications founder) paid in excess of 3 million to acquire this 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 Convertible Concept Car .

After spending decades as a collection of parts stuffed into wooden crates, the F-88 was reassembled. In 1954 the F-88 was a Motorama Dream Car and was one of only two, or an unconfirmed possible three, ever created. The F-88 seen here is literally the only car left of its kind and was sold to John and Maureen Hendricks at the prestigious Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona, for an unbelievable $3,240,000. This acquisition made automotive history and is the cornerstone of the Gateway Colorado Automobile Museum in its own special room in a rotating display worthy of the F-88!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Attached Files:

2. slepe67

slepe67

wow, that is gorgeous...too bad it didn't take off.

It looks like the Vette had strong influences in its design.

3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Real autorama car

4. Turbo442

Turbo442

It's real and pretty cool in my opinion. I wouldn't call it the "rarest" car as any car there is only one of is pretty rare.;)

5. i think that car was recently sold in an auction for a rather hefty price.

6. this e-mail has been thru here a time or two. I liked the Buick and Pontiac better

Attached Files:

7. Yep its real, I was lucky enough to get to see it go across the block in Snotsdale a few years ago.

8. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Compared to the same year Corvette it's a pooch.

Neat car no matter what.

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Could of killed the 54 ,Corvette came out in 53 and the second mako shark is the best corvette ever produced ,,,,,,,,,,In my opinion Zora arctov duntov knew his stuff ....

10. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Anybody else bother to google that museum? It's out in the middle of bum fuck egypt. Who the hell is going to go there?

11. WQ59B

WQ59B

It has been confirmed via Oldsmobile records that 3 complete F-88s were built, plus the crated body parts would make it '3 and a half'.
    1 is known to have been destroyed, there's this car, but the fate of the 3rd one is unknown as far as I know.
    I would have to check, but I recalled that this car ^ was NOT assembled from the crated parts, which weren't quite finished/operational pieces.

12. buster6972

buster6972
    from Florida

actually it is in the gateway auto museum in Colorado. If you ever get a chance to go, do it. There are some beautiful cars and the owner is the developer of the discovery channel, so you know there are some neat exhibits.

13. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

It's not in the middle of nowhere? It looked kinda desolate around that area?

14. Spity

Spity

The poncho was cooler.
    [​IMG]

15. those are cool and very real not to hi-jack this thread but

,if a very smart man named delorian would of had his way the corvette would have died in 68

in 64 when pontiac was designing the firebird( actually called the banshee ) (based on the vette platform) for its 67 realease delorian basically designed the 68 corvette 2 seater and all
    then in 66 GM bigwigs made pontiac re design the firebird based on the fugly camaro (because they didnt want any in house competition for the vette)
    so they had to hurry up and design it in like 6 months for the 67 release

and then the GM bigwigs just said well hmm we have these cool designs lets make the new for 68 vette like this(with a few small changes) .......cheatin basturds

16. colorado51

colorado51

I have been there a few times and have seen the car, it is pretty cool! The entire auto museum is awesome too.

Gateway Canyons Resort is an extremely nice place. It is owned by John Hendricks who owns The Discovery channel. Everything there is top notch.

17. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Oldsmobile was the training bed for GM in a lot of things. First turbo, first aluminum block, first front wheel drive V8 powered car and many others I can't think of right now.

18. 57J2

57J2

This one was for sale on the San Diego Craigslist last week for $1500000.00
    Oldsmobile F-88.jpg

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

1954 Solstice? That thing's tits!

20. i know the guy that restored that car , and the story told at the auction does not match up with what he told me about the car and the pictures he showed me while in restoration at his shop.

21. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Being an Olds fan and not as big a Cheby fan, I think it's just tits. Lots of cool stuff chevy got started out at Olds, not saying the corvette did but Ed Cole designed the first slipper piston overhead valve V8 for the Olds, 6 years or so before Chevy got one, of his design.
    Talk about a pooch, the 53 vette was a huge one, chevy had a hell of a time selling 300 of the junky heaps.

22. Think that was just a scam. First the car isn't currently available and second if you were selling a $1.5m car would you really put it on Craig's list - not quite the target market!

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I did and actually it's in one of the most beautiful states in our union. I'm bummed that I did not know about this museum last summer when I drove within a hundred miles of the place. Just wish I could afford to stay there while I'm visiting the resort next time thru. Lucky for me my pal Johnnie Walker lives in Gunnison, not too far away.:D

24. 61 chevy

61 chevy

how much money is that, can you spell it out,:confused:

25. noboD

noboD

I think it's a million and a half. This car was sold on BJ a few years ago to the skinny jackass in the Ferrari hat, who was working for the museum at the time. The big guy bidding against him "ran" him a million, just because he was acting so arrogent. I'm pretty sure I was told it the same guy that does Pickers on History channel now.

26. It's in Gateway, Colorado, not too far South of Grand Junction, Colorado. Try making a little road trip out there sometime - it's in the middle of some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet! Does everything have to be within five minutes of friggin' Los Angeles or NYC to go see???

Trust me, LOTS of people go to that part of Colorado. Get in you car and drive East. Enjoy the ride. THEN, say what you said.

I'm from that part of the country, and can't wait to get back.

27. rustyangels

rustyangels

If I recall , the rug from the motorama was included

28. cyclejim

cyclejim

the way i see IT OLDS PONTIAC AND THE REST OF EM