Register now to get rid of these ads!

need to come up with 500 bucks quick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butterboy, Nov 27, 2010.

1. busch

busch

Butterboy slow down a bit your gonna cost your self 500 bucks you will probably need to put back into this old truck, tell him 2500 walk away he'll take it he's playing you

2. slepe67

slepe67

walk up to him cash in hand and ask him to reconsider. If he says no, simply ask if you can give him some money down, and pay the rest when you have it, and then come pick up the car. Might wanna get something in writing, maybe notarized...just thinkin outside the box...

3. butterboy

butterboy

There was some puddy and there is some light body work that needs to be done. He opens Monday morning at 8 am. (body shop). The truck was last on the road in 1995. He is retiring on January 1st selling everything off then moving to Florida. So mabey I wait till then. If it is sells its not ment to be. So anybody got a 3100 truck for sale? Ha thanks Guy for taking me down from the ledge.

4. john walker

john walker

rusty, "puddy", bodywork and no engine. it's not like they're rare. about a grand sounds right. i'd pass at $3K.

5. The Shocker

The Shocker

3 grand is way too high for the truck you described IMO.I paid $2500 for my 50 with a new rebuilt 4 bolt 350 ,rebuilt T350 trans (with 0 miles on them) ,new windshield and gasket installed,cab sand blasted inside and out and in primer ,all new brakes and lines already ran, new battery ,boxes of new weather strip and rubber seals ,latches,extra fenders and bed pieces ,new dual exhausts ,aluminum gas tank.It has a disc brake Posi rearend, and its already clipped, etc .Just needs lite body work ,wiring ,paint and assembly ,even has decent tires on it.Drove it on the trailer with a clean Texas title and new tags .Not trying to brag ,but there are better deals out there IMO ,probably even better than the one i got on mine this time of year.Bought it from a freind ,but he offered it to others at this price (figured it was cheap enough so i paid the asking price) and i was just the first one to pull out the cash ...

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      76.2 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      75.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  6. Ebert

Ebert

X 2! Pass and keep looking...it is half the fun!

7. Horrible price. I know of one with a rebuilt 235 that needs a clutch or trans for 3000 bucks..... runs and drives......

8. flamed34

flamed34

I'd go back, say I've done a little research, restate the obvious (no running gear, putty, need for more boddy work) and then offer $2K and be willing to walk away. If you can go with ads in hand for others printed off the internet, even better. He'll either back up to the $2500 you have or not...but I never pay asking price!

The facts are he's trying to sell out and get moved by January. He's going to come off the price for someone - it might as well be you.

9. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Not to be a jerk, but if you are having trouble coming up with $500 to buy the carcass, how do you plan to come up with the scratch to build and finish off the truck?

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I'm sorry but I have to state the obvious, you have to scratch together another 5 hondos to get this truck, I don't know what your life's obligations are: kids wife rent etc, all of which are sad to say more important to a man than his own personal happiness. If you are 500 hundred short on your own personal play money than go ahead and play the game , if you have to rob the rent fund, crack the kids pig bank or deprive the life quality of others that you are providing for then you and your inner self have to speak to each other about this and come to a conclusion, no other man can answer the question in that case. Sorry for this answer, I've had to look away from things that have captured my imagination a lot lately as well.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Been there, and learned my lesson! If you really want the truck tell the guy and work out a deal, be up front and tell him you are short funds,THEN go make the money. I lost a car I'd still like to have because I didn't tell the owner I wanted it. My mistake was selling stuff first without telling the seller, when I came back with the cash he's sold the car. Years later I told him this story and he was pissed that I didn't ask first, turned out he would have rather see me with the car that the guy that bought it. Lesson learned. :(

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

way, WAY WAY too much!! $3K?!? Really? Walk away. As said, $2K if ya gotta have it. You're in PA, how's the front floors? Cab corners? Inner supports under the front fenders/cowl? No motor/trans? How pitted up is the frame? Don't be offended here but you need to buy this with your head instead of your heart. Are you prepared for a ground up resto? You say it's got mud in it. If it's what I picture in my head (I have one) there's issues you might not be thinking of. Be tough. Stand firm at $2K and use the $500 to get started...and it might not get you very far. Good luck either way, this one or another. PM "danimal" and ask him what's around. Him and his boys are freaks for the ADs. There's an AD truck group here too.

13. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

3 thousand is a shade high with no running gear , there are running trucks in my area close to finished with small blocks and auto some even have subframed clips for that price and even cheaper , you might want to look at diffent waters before you jump in , just my thoughts , good luck on your choice

14. chevyshack

chevyshack

Maybe the guy dosnt really want to sell it or can careless if it sells. Hense why there are posts on here about guys that rather let vehicles sit and rot rather then sell. If no one wants to pay the piper the vehicle makes a great conversation piece. My 52 is sitting waiting for me to get some moolah. Guys stop wanting to buy it but dont want to pay for it. I dont think $2k is unreasonable compaired to what i see some guys on here start with.

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Buying something "you have to have" always bites you. 3K way to high for what you describe. Offer no more then 2K, leave your phone # and walk away. If he's got to liquidate by January 1, you'll be hearing from him.

16. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

There are a couple of ads on here in the classifieds for price reference:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  17. I agree. When is was looking for my 52, I must have come across at least 10 cars I had to have. Each one had its own issues but I held out and found one at the right price, local, from another HAMBer, and was willing to work with me. BUT if this is a must have, then you must sacrifice and get rid of some stuff.

18. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

I lean with the walk away ideas. Don’t forget a couple things. First, in this economy, CASH talks and B.S. walks. This is known as a “BUYER’S MARKET.” Dude, NOTHING is selling. Truly. Second, Yo, its Christmas, and you may be the only mother’s son in the whole US, maybe even the WORLD looking to buy a bubble truck right now. Think about it, Man, YOU are the KING!

I also agree the price is way too high for what you’re describing. You are probably suffering from what we ALL experience once in a while: total obsession overriding all common sense; like, it is the LAST and ONLY and the BEST truck out there. You tipped your hand when you called it “your dream truck.”

What I would try to do is take a step back. Go onto every cars for sale site you can find and saturate yourself with knowledge about this particular truck. Everyone is telling you here that they are common and “all over the place.” Find some of them, and make some notes. If you don’t use this site, try it: http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi Just plug in the year and the make, and start making notes!

Then, using the information you have gathered, (including the excellent ideas in this thread,) approach the seller with some nuts in your jeans and tell him what his rig is worth based on your doing your homework. Do NOT let him tell you his stuff first. As suggested, be polite but firm, and tell him what his truck is lacking. Make your offer, (I’m thinking between a thousand and maybe 1500,) leave him your number, and then make a quick exit! I agree with the others, here, he will call you. Remember, it is HIM that is leaving in January not YOU, and after no one comes around, he’ll start thinking maybe you’re his best hope.

All that said, I also agree with what you said about if it is meant to be. If by some Christmas Miracle someone else coughs up the three balloons for the thing, you’re better off, and it “wasn’t meant to be.” At any rate, good luck, and remember who is the BOSS right now: the guy with the CASH!! GA

19. The Shocker

The Shocker

Very good advise and i agree with everything you said .I can look at a car or truck i want and in about 5 minutes a figure will pop in my head after i total up the parts used and condition.I will not pay more than that figure period.If the guy accepts my offer i will pull the cash and pay him .If he needs more than that figure i will say thanks for your time and i wont look back .I learned at a young age if you miss out on one deal another usually better deal is right behind the corner.Even though i got a deal on my truck i know there are eqaul or even better deals to be had on them.There are lots of these 47-54 trucks around ,so that means there are also lots of deals on them to be found ,sum good sum not so good ...

20. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

I put my ballot in the 'make an offer and leave your number' box.

A lot of guys are making very good points about the value of the truck, especially just being a shell with filler on it and more work left to do. Who knows what is lurking under that filler.

Plus, with the guy looking to retire and move he isn't going to want this thing around forever.

Also, with something like three-hundred and fifty Thousand of them produced, they aren't exactly rare.

21. i agree with some others, 3000 is to much.

22. butterboy

butterboy

Well said. I kinda spent the last two days sole searching .. you guys are great for advice. Thanks. Have you guys looked for a project in north east? There is nothing solid and cheap. I just want a clean shop truck all stock no ground up, no bags, no s10 frame and no GM clip. Strate axle drum brakes straight 6 with a 3 speed on the floor. Done. I'm going in at 2500 that's it. Here my number here is my offer call if you want to sell. Have nice day.
    thanks guys

23. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Nothing like having a plan, except for sticking to it:)

Let us know how it turns out.

24. butterboy

butterboy

So I just got off the phone with the seller. He wants to talk numbers...hehehe. Me and a pocket full of cash are going to see him after work tomarrow. So looks like I'm not sleeping tonight.

25. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

I offered a guy 5k for a 40 Merc 2 years ago - he basically told me to go to hell - gave him my #

then called my 3 weeks later ready to talk - it was to late, i moved on to something else

if it is meant to be - it's meant to be

good luck

26. uc4me

uc4me

I say you offer him 2K...but then again I have been accused of being a jackass on occasion

27. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Maybe you'll be on here tomorrow with pictures of your new 3100 project! Good luck.

28. WAYYY to high. Sounds like he is realizing that too. I picked this up 3 years ago in S.W Kansas for $1200 and was very complete. Then did the S10 conversion with a 4.3 V6. Definately a buyers market as stated

Attached Files:

29. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Spank bank time! :D

In all seriousness, they pay crazy money for your spunk. And you payed crazy money for that truck... fair trade.

30. The Shocker

The Shocker

Did you end up buyig the AD ???