Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old cool steering column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big duece, Nov 27, 2010.

1. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

While looking at the prices of flaming river, limeworks and others, yet again went to the salvage yard with my tail between my legs looking for a bargin. I found this chevy steering column out of a mid sixty's school bus(manual trans) for 20 bucks. Reminds me of the 56-62 vette columns. Had to extend the metal case that surrounds the turn signal switch, and modify a grant steering kit to make the vette wheel/hub fit right. Diameter is 2" tubing, and a chevy 6 cylinder 292 aluminum racing rod with a rubber gasket fits perfect as a column drop. Steering wheel is a snag from craigslist, plastic cracked. Easy fix. All in all, not a lot of $$ invested, but a blast to build.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      164.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      178.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      179.1 KB
      Views:
  2. bluestang67

bluestang67

I like the look should fit right in with the inside . Flat Vette wheel looks very vintage was a good choice.

3. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

4. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

5. 31CHEVY

31CHEVY

I am using the same column. I was wondering if you had any of the turn signal wiring figuired out? I pulled mine out of a 61 chevy c50. I have a few 61 chevy pickups figuired I could look at them but the wire colors are different. Any help would be appriciated.

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Haven't got that far, with all the truck resto sites I'm sure I can get the other half of the harness.

7. blitz

blitz

isnt fun to build something and be able to look back and say "yep thats gonna work PERFECT". nice finished product

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I almost bought a new 15" wheel, but I am trying to use as much vintage parts as possible. Even the wheel I have, up close has some small scratches in the stainless. Plan on leaving them there for character. Trying to build a car that would have been built in the early 60's time period. Yes blitz, I know exactly what you mean. My old boss's catch phrase was " I love it when a plan comes together".

9. F&J

F&J

Using all old parts will pay off in the end...if you really prefer the old look.
    It will look great.

10. Squablow

Squablow

A friend of mine liked those Flaming River columns with the stainless but didn't want to spend the money, he dug up a column similar to yours and cut some stainless exhaust tubing to slide over it, notched for turn signal clearance and polished. Looks like a chromed column, worked really well and I doubt he's got $50 in the whole thing.

Great minds think alike, I guess.

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool, nice job........

12. Thats a great looking column!

13. i have fixed signals in many columns

remember what goes in and what you want out

basicly
    a hot lead into flasher
    flasher to switch
    then at rest .. no connection
    right turn .....two contacts will touch
    left turn...... two contacts will touch

two -4 wires out to sockets thats grounded.. well

the taller element in dual element bulbs is the brake /turn
    the shorter element is tail park/ lamp

wire coming out are color coded like trailer wiring

yello green brown white

now if parking lites are in the system the contacts are doubled .. so parking lites are never cut out of the loop

i have raised the contact areas up by wrapping a fine wire from a small electric motor( slot car ) around the base .. these conatcts get worn....mostly the right ...and they can be switched around remember the wire color will change

reassemble with the proper electric lube and write down the wire colors codes

all this can be done out of the car using a battery charger and a test light or two

really easy the contacts are just the opposite of where you would think it will be

remember your brake lites may go through this switch and your tail/ park lamps too

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

nice work! I like it a lot!

15. another one is a postal jeep column, perfect fit im my friends model a

Attached Files: