Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Sport Coupe Project for the wife

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Apr 10, 2010.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Since we're not used to seeing A's without quarter windows, the sport coupe top gives it more "weight" visually. I guess that's why they used the Landau bars on them. At first glance I wouldn't even think it had been chopped, the bare side of the top gives it that much... heft? Is that a good word for it?

I'm sure it looks incredible in person. You have talent and patience way beyond me man!

2. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Jerry, Going to be one neat Hot Rod !

3. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

commin out pretty cool. im gonna have to find something for u to louver just so i can see it.

4. patman

patman

That's looking very nice! Great job!

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The car looks awesome in person - this sucker's gonna turn some heads ! I see another magazine spread in the future ...

6. Koz

Koz

Gotta' chime in here. I've been giving Jerry some technical advice but the concept/design is all his. I'd hate to see what he's capable of after he has a little more time with a shot bag and english wheel!

This car is especially neat because first, you just don't see sport coupes done up very much, and second because I saw what shape it was in when he got it. If it wasn't for a little foresight this body and chassis would have ended up in somebodys scrap pile. The best part is he did it without a load of pre stamped patch panels. All the work is just sheetmetal.

The car has a definite "jalopy" feel to it, and with the later drivetrain I'm not quite sure what era it fits in but you gotta' admit, it is unique! You won't mistake this in a crowd which once again makes it a great magazine car.

The other thing about this car is the amazing amount of room inside. Being unchannelled, the inside is huge. Big plus for a sporty. Jerrys gonna' be able too do some serious road time in this one, (or should I say Stephanie?).

At any rate, the pics don't do it justice. Once again, way cool!

7. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I think the way Jerry builds em he should teach music part time and have a full-time hot rod shop!

8. sawzall

sawzall

so... your Saying that jerry has GIRTH??

9. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Anytime

Thanks again ..Mr Miagi...

Nah..it wouldn't be fun if I had to please picky bastards all day.

It's not the size it's how you use it. c'mon :)

10. daddio211

daddio211

Yes, Jerry has a cheese wheel of talent!

11. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Really enjoying this thread. Great skill on show here.

12. lorodz

lorodz

13. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Scored a cool bench seat out of something in pretty good shape. Stuck it in for size...fits really nice. I'm going to make a package shelf and maybe some side filler panels.

14. Koz

Koz

Would this include a louver or two in this package shelf? Just kidding, I know you need the space for 12" bass speakers to play rap music while riding around.

Hope you got the scap metal out of your eye last night, you looked real uncomfortable.

15. JAWS

JAWS

Subscribed..

16. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Yeah..I came home and flushed it out..served my dumb ass right for not wearing my specs...leasoned learned..I'm ok though.

Going to hit it hard this coming weekend...the whole thing should be ready for bodywork by next week.....then color.

I'm working on adjusting the passenger side driprail so the door fits better. Those aircraft rivets are a pain in the ass to drill out too. Also going to finish the inside bottom edge.....Getting there slowly

17. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

HA HA
    once when I was young and foolish,I was trying to port & polish a set of heads---didn't wear any eye protection and couldn't open my eyes the next morning----LIVE and LEARN-(the hard way!):eek:

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Looks great Jerry!! Awesome!

19. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

My passenger door was hitting my driprail. I was hoping I could just whack it a few times to move it to where I need it to move so it would clear the door..but no dice. I drilled out the rivets above the passenger side door so I could move it up slightly.....did a little trimming...redid the hole layout, redrilled the holes,cleco'd it into place so I could check fitment then re-riveted it up...much better

Both doors fit really nice now with good gaps and open and close smoothly. Next I have to finish up the front visor mounts and trim the front edges of the driprails.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  20. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Great job , Jerry . Worth the extra effort .

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Had to pick up a few things from Queens speed shop today. I scored a neat set of side peep mirrors but I didn't care for the door edge clamp mounts...they always hog the paint up, etc. I think they look cool on customs..but if they aren't put in the right place on a hot rod they stick out.

Anyhow. I cut the clamp ends off with a cut off wheel..drilled and tapped my ends..drilled a small hole in the door post and bolted them on with a small countersunk screw from the back. I positioned them so they sweep around the hinge. Nice and clean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Jerry, Like the way you used the Peep Mirror ! Simple but functional. I agree about the part you didn't use.

23. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Hey,Jerry
    Thats the way I did them on my T ,except I left the base part on,just eliminated the clips and had a screw from inside,except mine were lower,and upside-down don't have a close-up but you can see them on this pic. Wish I would have known--I have a brand new set of 3" peep mirrors!!!

Attached Files:

24. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I have the top half of a T bird rear seat that I think I'm going to section and make work with the lower half of the seat I have. The edges should wrap around the inside of the quarters nicely...we'll see what happens. Might scrap the idea if it looks like shit...ha

[​IMG]

25. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Got the seat sectioned and in the car...not sure what I think...looking a little Ed Roth t bucket like...

Anyhow..tearing the body down for bodywork,primer and paint tonight. Should see some color on it by the end of Dec. While the body is off I'm going to do the brakes and a few other things which are accomplished easier without the body in the way. I'll post up some more pics soon.

26. This car is really beautiful Jerry, you and your wife should be stoked!

Can you make me a set of splash aprons like that for my sedan?, be a cool way to reroute the exhaust and keep the lakes pipes.

27. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

My buddy Donny is going to be helping me with the body work. He painted my last couple cars and has been teaching me along the way a little at a time. He's got the bodywork on the doors just about done and in primer. I'll be going over this week to help with the final blocksanding and hopefully we'll get some color on something by the weekend. I'll be spraying this one and can't wait. We'll see what happens.. Pics soon!!

28. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Doors are now bodyworked straight and are ready for final prime

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  29. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Just got in from working on the doors. I was over my buddy Donnie's place helping to buff out the doors. I think they really came out nice..these were pretty rough actually, even with the new skins.

After the paint dried for a day we hit it with 1500, then 3000, then buffed them out. Crappy cell phone pics under florescent light.....but I'll get more up when the body is done

After color sanding

[​IMG]

All Rubbed out...hard to really see how nice they came out from the reflection of the wires and hooks hanging from the ceiling..they're nice and straight though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo