Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB braintrust your ideas wanted to solve problem!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Nov 24, 2010.

1. rustdodger

rustdodger

I'm working on my OT Case tractor and am having trouble removing a sending unit from the head. The sending unit isn't detachable from the gauge in any way that I have found,so this makes using a 6 point socket a no go.I can get the sender out by cutting the wire but I don't want to ruin the gauge so I'm looking for away to remove the sender without cutting the wire. I have tried using a tubing Wrench but the sender wants to round before the threads budge. The threads appear to be pipe threads (tapered) so once I can budge it I think I'll be golden! I'm not sure if the photo will show but the head casting stands above the threads making it difficult to get a straight bite on it with a wrench,pliers or vise grips.I'm a bit reluctant to heat it in fear of damaging the sender. I know there are some REAL resourceful folks on this site, any suggestions of ideas that I've missed? (please spare me the sell your Case suggestions)

Attached Files:

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Soak it with PB Blaster then try cutting a slot in a socket for the wire to slip through then after you have it in place, put a couple of hose clamps on the socket to keep it from expanding.

3. BudJ63

BudJ63
    from Florida

4. oj

oj

I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and cut the cap tube. Pics is a little unclear but it is likely a two piece affair the cap tube screwed into an adapter that has the seat and pipe thread to go into the block. so there are actuall two pieces that you'll have to unscrew individually. If the cap tube nut isn't loosened then if you get the adapter loose it'll want to 'wind' up the cap tube since it can't turn.
    If this is a critical one-of-a-kind item heres what you can do. Cut slice out of a sixpoint socket, wide enough for the cap tube, and weld a handle off to one side to turn it with, in effect you make a deepwell tubeing wrench.
    Good luck, i love an old tractor.

5. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Those slotted sockets are pretty neat.

You might also be able to heat and bend a flare wrench so that it will seat down around the casting.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

..Patience would be your friend here..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think the key is to get apply some KROIL to the threaded area and let it soak in.
    A mixture of 50% acetone and 50% transmission oil is suppose to work well also. Then...
    I wonder if heating the cast iron threaded area and "wicking" candle wax down into the threaded area would work.
    Could you use a crowsfoot wrench?
    Those slotted sockets really look like they might work.

8. rustdodger

rustdodger

The sending unit is 5/8" and I' not sure if you can tell from photos but it threads into a bushing that i think is 7/8" to 1".The sender threads to the bushing,the bushing threads into the head . . Those slotted sockets look like the concept, I have some duplicates in those sizes in my impact sockets I may try to slot one myself. If not there is a Sears about 1/2 hr away. Thanks for the help guys I see on a regular basis that there are a bunch of guys on here sharper than me...proven again:rolleyes:!I wish I'd have known about those sockets a couple of sender/gauges back.

9. rustdodger

rustdodger

Thanks,right you are that is why I'm posting here instead of out looking for a new gauge like a younger Rustdodger would have been.

10. Gigantor

Gigantor

How about one of those pipe wrenches for installing and removing faucets in sinks where there is very little working room. The spring loaded wrench head self tightens and flops back and forth 180 degrees so you can tighten or loosen a stubborn stuck nut or pipe with very limited room. Put a breaker bar on the other end of that and it will turn. Especially with a little heat. You can get those wrenches at Home Depot for $10 if you don't already have one.

11. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

12. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

The slotted sockets combined with patience and Kroil can get these thigsd out of the Case head - it took me close toa week to get mine to come undone. If the worst happens the gauge can be repaired by any number of the guage rebuilding comapies, buut costs in the area of $125 or so. Not an uncommon problem with old tractors and old cars. Heat is not good unless it is kept low to only help the penetrant to work its was in. The end can easily handle high water temps, but try to keep heat under 250 degrees so the solder jont does not melt out.

13. Dchaz

Dchaz

a little heat to the block from a propane torch always helps me

14. rustdodger

rustdodger

Thanks,right you are that is why I'm posting here instead of out looking for a new gauge like a younger Rustdodger would have been.The slotted socket (home made w/clamp)worked like a charm!!!
    Thanks guys the HAMB is the best!

Attached Files:

15. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

ditto. Very gently with the heat so you don't damage it, sometimes heating will help to draw the penetrating oil down into the threads

good luck!

16. hmm if it was me
    after lube, heat and proper tools at great expense,time,
    this wire would be broken off
    then when all these pipe bushings and sender nut are worn round or broke
    i would be drilling it for a EZ Out
    then when that broke off
    i would be trying to remove the head
    when those bolts are removed except the one that broke
    i would be pushing every thing out side
    then i would give it away

1/8 turn tighter to crack it loose?

some time the whole gauge unit will need to be off so the whole thing can rotate with the nuts a helper may be needed to do this..

now does this thing run? engine heat can be your friend here
    once warm up to temp.try the methods others have spoken of
    isometimes have seen guys warm stuff up then shock it with compresed air to shrink the fitting
    good luck

gosh i type slow never mind..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

YAY! Good for ya! I was going to suggest a couple well placed drops of Muriatic Acid

18. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

Slick willy has got your fix add a little toucch heat at block!!

19. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

Thats torch heat ! Fat fingers sorry