Register now to get rid of these ads!

Intake for old style 93 to 97 Mark V111 Lincoln

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32Chevy vett, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

since always when you are talking about late model computer controlled / injected motors.

2. Air bags since 1959, Barris had them on the Ala Kart.

3. HAHAHA good one.

4. 69fury

69fury

so the post about the guy here putting late model ignition, crank trigger, injection on his flatty is non hamb friendly? i'll tell him and all the fans you said so..--- he's doing a top notch job to maintain a vintage vibe but provide performance he wants (upgraded engine control)

i got flamed for suggesting that better flowing heads can be used, and updated camshaft profiles. when i stated that modern tech has made hp more affordable and easier to accomplish i was nearly crucified.

rick.

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

This one has a carburetor, yo.

6. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Hmm, I was just reading a thread about a nice old '49 GMC shop truck build that used a 305 tbi engine and 700r4 tranny out of a '91 Cadillac.....

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

uh... injected flathead = traditional

carburetor on a late motor = modern

8. I wouldn't put all that stuff on there. Why even bother with a 70 year old engine if you just cover it with modern stuff?

9. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

TRADITIONAL. As is Tradition, Mod Motors are in no way and never will be traditional material.

it different about updating old engines, instead of DOWNDATING new shit. That engine was built with FI how is puting a carburator on it making itbetter? maybe simpler easier for the guy that dosent know any better on how to tune FI, sure, but its far from IMPROVING anything.

this is a traditional board, if you have to question it your in the wrong place. you will not and never will get it if you think putting a new mod motor in anything FITS this board.

One look at that guys 32 Chevy, aqnd i can already tell hes not in the right place.

Traditional is a bit hippocritical at times, but this is SO FAR from what we are goign for here, noone should even question it. K

Kudos to the guy doing it, it looks like good work, just NOT FOR HERE.

Posts like this make me miss the old Hamb, this would have have been flamed off the board.

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

There's a guy here in Omaha that purchased adapters/spacers to put a SBF (302) intake on one of those Mark VIII engines. Not sure where he got them, though.... Couldn't find them with a quick Google search.

11. wrenchin hobo

wrenchin hobo
    from Houston,TX

Question I have for you guys is this: what us the cut off for technology?

Is it acceptable to run a 350 chevy? If so does it become unacceptable to have modern heads and a roller valve train?
    Is a Cleveland family Ford engine too late a model for a traditional ride?

I'm not here to stir the pot as I feel that I have much to learn from you more experienced guys. With that said, what other modern touches should we avoid? CD players, air conditioning, 5 spd trannys?
    What if we're building a daily driver? What about modern wiring and fuses?

I love traditional rods and want to build one that isn't too modern to be acceptable here, but at the same time having a car that will take me where I want to go without issue. With cost an issue is it not acceptable to run a modern junkyard mill to get your bucket moving?
    Tell me if I'm out if line, but I commend the guy for using what he had available to get his car on the street sooner!

12. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

I was just wondering the same thing. I haven't been here long, I got out of the old car game years ago and am just coming back to it. There is a wealth of knowledge here and some really nice people always willing to help you out.

But I have to wonder, since I haven't been around very long, if things like s-10 frame swaps, 700r4 transmissions , t-5s and a host of other things that don't strike me as "traditional" were at one time met with the same resistance? Were there ever flame wars over using Mustang II front end parts?Inquiring minds want to know.:D

And hey, as far as what I'm building now, I don't want a computer anywhere near it either, I'm most likely sticking with the power pack heads on the 283. That is if I can ever stop working on my junky old house long enough to get some truck time in. :(

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You are not out of line..it just makes it something different. Sooner is not always better. No you can't build a traditional car with a cleveland. You can be traditionally inspired, but it's still just something different. Not bad, just different. Take a look at the revolution pics. Other than a couple cars with alternators and radials, and the occasional allen headed bolt, Those cars all stuck to the spirit of what the Hamb is.

There are those that try to pretend that "faster is traditional" or "using what I have lying around is traditional"...Well that's not the case here...Unless it's 1955 and you use what you have lying around.

Guys here will go to great lengths to use flathead screws and cloth wire. And they will drive the heck out of them. And sometimes they'll break a rule or two for drivability...and that's OK..That's what it's all about.

I'm not knockin what this guy here is doing, there might be some technical info that will be useful and that's awesome. I like that. But let's not pretend it's traditional...

I'm sorry dudes for rehatching this tired old argument..

14. wrenchin hobo

wrenchin hobo
    from Houston,TX

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Thank god I didn't use the fruit analogy..:)

Oh well what the hell..

You got your Grapefruits and your Watermelons. You can't bring a grapefruit to a watermelon party and be all "Hey guys, I've got a watermelon!" Everyone knows you're sportin a grapefruit. But you continue on jabbin about your grapefruit and how watermelony it is until someone gives you a taste of their watermelon.

That's when it hits you and you're like "My grapefruit tastes like shit!"

The Hamb is all about Watermelons.

16. 73RR

73RR

If it is 1955 then you could not use an sbc since it is just more of that new fangled junk from Detroit...:D

So, someone step up, please, and artfully define exactly what is 'traditional', what 'era' is incorporates, and who on this board has a difinitive example.
    Pictures please.

Maybe I am a late bloomer since I did not do my first engine swap until around 1965 or 66, so perhaps my definition of traditional is different than the next guy.
    Would my 28 Ford sedan with a 383 Mopar be acceptable? How about a 40 Ford sedan with a Packard? 36 Plymouth with a Pontiac? These are the cars from my running buddies. Looking back, and using the standards of todays Hamb, they were rat rods pure and simple. At the time, they were transportation and they were expressions of our own individuality based on what we saw in the car mags every month.
    What I do recall is that the whole object of the game was to get the biggest/best/newest drivetrain available, and rarely, if ever, did the three converge. Hell, most days we were lucky to just have a car to call a DD and anything we did to 'make it better' was acceptable. JC Whitney and Honest Charley were our best friends.

So, unless there are new published standards for Hamb threads I think that the Ford Mod engine is every bit as acceptable as the latest whiz-bag sbc xyz-71-83 49 whatever.

Who's next?:cool:

17. metalshapes

metalshapes

I am...

Modern Off Topic Streetrod engine.

Please post things that are Relevant and On Topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.