Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buried treasure in Hollywood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bumpstick, Nov 23, 2010.

1. I would hook my power wagon up to that and rip the thing outta there.

2. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Awesome pics. Thanks for posting.

DuckusCrapus

3. Ebert

Ebert

Fascinating story....looking for more!

4. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Anyone need a Jag 4.2 litre six cylinder?

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  5. LowFat48

LowFat48

that safe may have a serial number on it that could be traced

6. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

some of those safes had multiple compartments to them if a hole was punched in them. If the door itself was not opened some of those compartments remain sealed off only accessible through the door.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Holy shit! Maybe there's still valuables in that one then

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

picture this. The year was 49 , and the war had been over for a few years. Most of the soldiers had came back with a little bit of money saved up and the idea of settling down, maybe buying a house and starting there families was first and foremost on there minds. But not all of them had a plan. This is the story of 2 guys that still had a wild side to them, and no one was going to slow them down. There names were Merle and Louie, they were young and good looking they had a small amount of cash between them and both liked hot rods. merle had a 1940 ford coupe nice flathead mill for power, and louie had a 29 roadster he had been working on before the war started, when finished it was gonna be fast. both these guys liked to party, and liked the dames. And after all this was hollywood, and there was plenty of both. But for the fast paced life style of hollywood money was the problem, they had none but merle knew how to get it. louie worked at a gas station where his skills as a mechanic and tools were readily available. merle on the other hand was schemer and his mind was always searching for the easy money. He had stashed away a few hand guns from the war mostly as something to collect, or to sell if needed. This time there was another need for them. There was a small mom/n/pop store about a half block from where louie worked that merle had been watching one day while visiting louie at the gas station The shop for it's size did a fair amount of business and he noticed a large safe that the owner would be constantly taking money to throughout the day. As of this day there fates and history were set.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
    volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  9. A Rodder

A Rodder

^^^^^^ Great Story Telling^^^^^^

10. RatBone

RatBone

11. gsp392

gsp392

I need those heads!

12. gsp392

gsp392

I know a moutain in Colorado with ruins of cars crashed long ago all through the years. I actually went off one of them, but my car was pulled out and since.

13. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

This is a pretty cool story! Does anyone remeber a movie where a 40 Ford went off a cliff? You should sell guided tours of the crash site, I'd buy one, I would love to trip around down there! And the safe, I agree, there may been a seperate compartment in it?

14. I agree with the possibility of the '40 being a movie car; likely a camera platform of some sort, judging from the diamond-tread trunk floor, brackets and lack of a deck lid. Bet that one has been down there 50 years or more. Back then, it would've been a used-up used car.

15. Went through this thread with my Imagination running wild!

Reminds me of the low mileage 1940 Cadillac found on the 12th floor of a building in Chicago with empty Money bags in the rear of car!

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

That's a cool find.... I was born and raised in the Bellflower / Lakewood area I drove a truck for few years all over that area. I know there are cars over the side of Mulholland dr. from the 70's. Another find is over on Mt. Palomar, in like 57 or 58 a B47 crashed near the observatory. My dad was in the Airforce out at March field in Riverside at the time and had to testify at a court hearing about it. Parts are still all over the place up there... look that one up..

Ghost.....where's Roger when you need a novel... lol

Roach

17. This is a fun thread, even the fiction is good.

Elijah Wood drove a black '40 Ford in Stanley Kubrick's "The Killing", 1956 based in LA they robbed a race track in that one but didn't drive over a cliff.

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

19. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Amazing to think in a place where its so busy and not much room left for exploring that a classic car like this is found below the HOLLYWOOD sign in LA...great thread! Some should save it if possible!

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Cool as thread and story , the Safe is cool as and the 40' coupe is too cool , thanks for going to the trouble of posting , love how it has got everyones imagination running wild , probably some truth in there but will we ever know ?????

cad.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Wonder what the drivetrain looks like under all the dirt?-Weeks

22. skoh73

skoh73

Thanks for the story and pics. This was a great read!

23. Toner283

Toner283

Is this true?

More info please, this sounds interesting too.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm sure the safe was drilled under a cloak of darkness with a cordless drill like this one

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  25. farmer12

farmer12

26. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Supprised you guys aint grabbin the whole car, 40 coupes are made'a gold. if it was closer i sure as hell would, looks saveable in my book

27. toml24

toml24

I believe the Offical Police Tow outfits for that area have a clause in their contracts they must perform junk car removal from bottoms of canyons every now and then (saw this on the news). It is remarkable this car is still there. Most likely it's frozen into the ground and the labor to get it out would be very tough.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. badnews 31

badnews 31

i will even fly over from australia to help dig that thing out.thanks for posting :D:D

29. See if you can get a VIN # off that frame and run it! Find the owner and get the story! Inquiring minds want to know!!:rolleyes::)

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Im in!

Thanks heaps for posting this buddy, it would be cool if you could get the VIN number off it and track down the owner.