Register now to get rid of these ads!

*MrModelT and Powerwagonmaniac build a T speedster in 6 months!*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Jun 23, 2010.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

It was truly fitting. I also found it quite profound that, at the moment to grave side service ended ..a large flock of geese (at least 100 or more) flew directly us, in a straight line however...rather than a "V" formation and in a due north direction instead of south for the winter. After the last one had past over us, they all disbanded and flew their separate ways...

You an the White would have been most welcome, but we know you were there in spirit :)
    ...you still gotta bring that White down here sometime...Chris and I wanna go for a ride!

Thank you Shooter, that was an update I didn't want to write...and had a hard time doing so.

The updates and project will continue as Chris and I fight to get this T done by Christmas as we had intended.

2. You had better believe I want to bring my White down there! But I won't just take you for a ride, I'll MAKE you DRIVE it!!!!!

3. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

I am using the same grill shell on my 27 t coupe build. That is a Star- Durant motors shell

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

:eek: Oh man!...I can't WAIT!!! :D I always take any chance I get to get behind the wheel of a car like that and learn how to drive it! We'll have to plan something....this summer maybe?

That is correct! The one I have on the "Becker Special" is from a '26 Star..

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

Well fellow H.A.M.B.ers, We are finally making some major progress on the "Becker Special".

Chris and I made the decision to move the T from our "secret assembly facility" (aka my garage) to the Becker shop so that all of us at the shop can work on it together. This weekend, Chris and my brother Evan got the Firewall cut/mounted, the steering column mounted and the body bolted down to the frame.

Yesterday Chris got the seat riser finished and the seats mounted while I made up a set of side lamp brackets....copies of set for a 1913 White, for a decorative touch :D I will have pictures of these goodies soon as my camera pooped out Saturday night :(, So stay tuned!

Clayton

Attached Files:

6. What's all that glare from :D???

[​IMG]

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

The shop lights, of course :eek: .....where did you think it was coming from? :rolleyes:

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

looking gooooooooooooood! can't wait to see it in person!

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

You will for sure, soon than later hopefully. We are makin' that "big push" to the finish line...just hope we can make it. You and Payso are welcome to visit the shop any time though...so come on out! :D

10. All I know is that it bounced off my increasingly-exposed forehead and almost lit Mrs. Yankee's curtains on fire!!!

As always, the build looks great- heard some of Chris's speedster is imbedded in it as well!

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

Lol! :D That just made my afternoon.

Thank you as always! Yes. Chris did in fact donate his 60+ hp T motor and Warford O.D. to "Becker Special" project. It will eventually get the Ruxtell 2 speed rear axle from his car as well. As he told me, he has just "lost interest" in his roadster and this car for his dad has become much more important. We are essentially merging the two cars into one....the "Becker Special"

12. Looking forward to this one coming to fruition... and Chris' new interest in the Noel Bullock sprinter!

13. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Hi Mac,

My poor head gets rather cold during the winter. My brother in law Fred is actually getting my roadster tub and frame for a track T project with a Flathead V-8. I just lost interest in it and with dad the way he was I just didn't have time to work on it. This little car is just what i should have built for my self. I like the keep it simple stupid philosophy. Maybe that is why The Bullock special interests me so much. I am in contact John Mack at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb museum and the Broadmoor Hotel & Carriage house, about Noel's car. they have an exact replica of it at the Carriage House so I will have pictures of it and should be getting a ton of info on it soon.

Shooter and Mondo, stop by the shop some time.

14. Chris- PLEASE share the pics and info when you get it!!!

My first shot of reality about the "crown of wisdom" that I'm obtaining came whilst taking roll in one of my classes. One of my little darlings came up to me when I had my head down and pointed right into my bald spot... "What's THAT, Mr. McKay?"...

I just looked at him with a grin and quietly answered, "A gift from you".

15. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton. The Becker Special is coming out GREAT ! Bill is up in Heaven and making those motor sounds. He will be more than ready for the first ride.

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks Dave! I know he is! He used to give me such a playful "hard time" about me playing in my unfinished roadster. It seemed that I was always "sitting behind the wheel, going no place fast" imagining it on the road when ever he came down to the shop. He used to joke that I "put 200,000 miles on that car before it ever left the building and that it would need to be restored again before I fired it up for the first time" :rolleyes:

Now it's his turn...:D

17. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Clayton,

I loved following your T-roadster thread and I was lurking on this one. I just read the rest of the thread and my heart sank.

My condolences to Bill's family.

The car looks great and it's a great tribute to Bill. Enjoy the car for Bill!

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks! Chris and I are both super happy with our progress thus far and are trying hard for our Christmas deadline, but we are ok with New Years day too :D

That is certainly our intent: when she's done....drive the wheels off!

Thank you for your thoughts and condolences, they mean a great deal to the Becker family and to myself....you guys are like Chris and I's "extended family" too :D

*I will also have some updates to my own '26 Roadster tomorrow and in the very near future, so stay tuned to that "channel" as well!!

19. MrModelT

MrModelT

Well I finally got around to taking the few pictures of the speedometer....as I had promised weeks ago :rolleyes:

Anyway, here it is....an original "Springfield Moto-Meter" dating to 1905. It is a centrifugal style mechanism. This beautiful piece is ALL ORIGINAL, right down to the "human hair thick" phenolic washers at each joint. EVERYTHING in side this amazing work of art is hand made.

This was something that Bill had picked up (just a neat "swap meet" find) at on of the old Harrah's Reno Swap Meets in the 1960's. It has been sitting in box in the shop for 40 years. One of Bill's friends, who is a Gauge "master" (restorer and collector), has never seen one of these. I don't how many survive today, but it can't be many.....if at all.

Attached Files:

20. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Now that is the perfect speedo for Bill's Speedster ! A one of a kind speedo for a special one of a kind guy ! Make me wish I had met Bill before he passed.

21. doctorZ

doctorZ

damn, clayton! how have i missed this thread!? it looks awesome. you really have a way with them T's. though, if you finish before my A is done i don't know that we can still be friends. in the mean time, consider me subscribed!!

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

This is VERY true! That speedo will truly make for a great "centerpiece" for the dash.

...Well you better get crackin' on that A then....you gotta allot of work to get done before Christmas if you don't want to be "left in the dust" :D

All: Here are a few more photos from last nights progress.

Got the headlight fork "tie bar" made up and a set of side lamp brackets made. I used an original set of 1913 White side lamp brackets and copied them from scratch. We also set up the seats to fold forward, giving us an extra "tool box". Last shot shows the car with side lamps and spot light mocked up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  23. MrModelT

MrModelT

New pics of weekend progress!

Firewall - Stained/sealed
    Exhaust - Done
    Spotlight - Mounted
    Reverse Hand controls - Done

Attached Files:

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, All I can say is "the Becker Special sure has the special touch of MrModelT !". Bill would be a bustin' out with pride in his ride. Need to hook up with you and get a ride in the Becker Special !

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you Dave! :) I know he would be drivin' it with a smile like :D.

You are of course welcome here at the shop and we would love to see ya!
    .....and you certainly have a ride in the "Special" waiting for you anytime my friend! :D

Clayton

26. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Thanks for the invite. Wonder how close Bonneville is to where you live ?Might make a neat side trip . . . . :)

27. MrModelT

MrModelT

Well...:D We're out here in Portland, Oregon, that would be a cool side trip!

Chris and I are planning to make a Bonneville run next year in the T's (mine and the "special") and would like to get a "convoy" of 'Rods to make the trek with us. No plans yet, but I'm working on it.

28. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

About 750 miles one way or 1500 miles round trip. Clayton, you think Josephine and the Special will be up to it? I think it would be an awesome trip if I can get the time off.

29. MrModelT

MrModelT

"Josey" is the only one I would be worried about, but I think she would make it just fine. The "Special" should be fine...she has a strong, new motor beatin" under that hood :D

Just gotta keep plenty o' 30w in her and she'll be fine!

Bonneville or Bust!!

30. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR