Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Offy 220

Offy 220

Dean, thanks for the information. I believe I met you years ago at the "Bunker" Punky's place at the airport. I would go to WRA meetings with Buzz Gregory. A few times I had the privilege to sit next to Joe Gemsa during the meetings. I was curious what happened to his engines, patterns and his dirt car. I believe the dirt car was originally built by Art Sparks / Paul Weirlick. Thanks again, Bruce.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. jakearoo92

jakearoo92
    from Indy

Roger Beck is my grandfather and I was hoping that you had more pictures of Saldana or maybe Bubby Jones or any other Roger Beck pictures or info. thanks!

3. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Clark Gable Special? Not the Mike Brannan Special? What's the significance of that?

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It was used to promote the movie.

Attached Files:

• cg1.jpg
      cg1.jpg
      File size:
      55.7 KB
      Views:
  5. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

6. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

Regarding the Gemsa Radial 2-Stroke: How was power transmitted off the rear with the high cranshaft centerline ? Chain and sprockets to a low driveshaft ?

Tom

7. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Hi Tom;
    I thought the center would be way too high too, until looking closely at how LOW it was mounted in the frame (see-in relation to firewall height) and rather sharp angle downward at rear. *See second photo in post #12250 on page 613. Would seem to be a straight forward hook up with drive shaft..

8. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

Been a 2-cycle fan since i was a kid, the car in my avatar ultimately powered by a Power Products 2-stroke. No doubt this is a 2-stroke. Intake manifold goes straight into crankcase.

Carb mount flange doesn't look parallel to crank centerline. Has some angle to it. In the pic of engine in car, I see a bell housing with a clutch arm. Also the carb flange appears perpendicular to firewall.

So engine might be mounted with enough angle to point torque tube right at rear axle.

That's my story and i'm stickin' to it!

9. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

10. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

11. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Well the cyls, themselves are not "in-line,." And engines are usually described by cylinder pattern, such as a "V" or "H" or "Y" or radial or opposed, or inverted etc etc so..I'd like to call it a 6 cyl. 2-cycle "Spiral" engine.

Who made it and where?..
    Well I think it is pretty safe to say it was made in USA. I have a 1980 letter here, from a guy in Simi Valley, Ca, saying it was "developed by Kinner ( well known aero engine Co. in Glendale, California-so not that far from Gemsa)in the early 1940s," and was the only one in existence. but the letter also claims that it was 270 cu.in. developing 450hp @ 12,000 rpm! and was about 28" in diameter weighing only about 100 lbs. So I have doubts about that info.;)

Also note blue line #4, showing the case, cover-plate that is opposite each cylinder. Take off the cover and you have easy access to unbolt the rod from the shaft and one cyl at a time, to replace any cyl, or rod. You can see a couple of the other cover plates in the first color photo, on previous page,

12. jimg12

jimg12

The way the engine was built it made it real short from front to back for the c. u. it had . Sure would like to see the crankshaft in it, it would be strong because it was so short. What about main bearings? Hope someone knows something about this.
    Jim Graybeal

13. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Hi Jim;
    Best I can do on the crank. Looks to be decent size dia..I took a bunch f photos of it from various sides, when we put it on the stand in our shop.I sure hope somebody comes up with a photo of the whole car, out in the open or on the track..

Attached Files:

14. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I was at the library tonight and saw that the lates issue of NORTHERN KENTUCKY HISTORY and HERITAGE, had a sprint car on it, and on the hood was painted BECK Ent... I did some searching since they would'nt let me check it out, go figure...And came up with pics info on the car, going back tommorrow to photo-copy the article and will post it once I get it, anyway here is the car and the article that the internet turned up..

http://wthompson4.sports.officelive.com/beckfamily.aspx

delete this mods if it has been posted again...

15. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I know this is a sprint car thread butbit gets more traffic than the midget thread. So, who has any history on the Frank Curtis midget team? I'm specifically looking for the history of the #5 car(I think). General history I know is that Brian Johnson from Florida owned a Curtis car in the late 90's. No idea which. Also, Frank bought chassis #330. Anybody know where any of those midgets are today?

16. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

17. willys1330

willys1330

Allways wanted one now I do. Picked up at Hershey 1940's Dreyer Midget. Have most of the parts need a rearend and some Help!!!

Attached Files:

18. deuce354

deuce354

Great Find! Car Has Really Nice Lines, Any History?

19. BillGway

BillGway

Kenneth "Red" Coonfields Son Bill and I have been friends since the eighth grade, Red Coonfield raced a micro miget #99 powered by a twin Cylinder Konig. Him and his wife Maxine are two of the early pioneers in Micro miget racing and Maxine was a walking encylopedia of racing history until her death last year. Red and Maxine live here in Bartlesville Oklahoma on 13th street until maxines death.

20. jimg12

jimg12

28dryer,
    Never heard of that engine either. Let us know more about it.
    Jim

21. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

There was a front page story in The Bergen Herald back in 1940 or so. When I find my copy I will post it. Brisko was known to be overly outspoken about his stuff. While Brisko and the article claimed it was a world beater, Emil Andres would not drive it because it was very hard to start until the oil pressure built up to operate the valves and at that stage of it's development was not competitive.

I sold a spare crankshaft, crankcase, block/head, side plate and water manifold I had to Bill Smith and have film type photos of those in hand.

The complete runnable engine exists. The photos I have of it need to be located.

My photos and written material are in a chaotic state as a result of never sorting them whilst sorting out various Vintage cars and running them the last 21 years.

22. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

I think the Clark Gable To Please a Lady sprinter is in Malloy's collection, Was it a Kurtis? Walt James Classic this weekend 27th, 28th, at Willow Springs, Vintage parts swap meet on Sat. Track roadsters, sprints midgets supermodifieds and Jalopys will be on 3/8 banked dirt track that Walt built both days, will post some pictures next week of this event.

23. Which car today in Tom Malloys collection might it be. I have photos of all of Tom's cars as of 2009. I was there during the Roadster show.
    HG :cool:

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Per carl s. ..............

In prep for the May 30th sprint car race at RIR 'Jiggler Joe' Gemsa purchased the Clark Gable Spl (To Please A Lady) from the back storage lots of MGM, hired Bud Rose to drive (Bud also was a stand in driver in the movie) and won the race - using some 'pit board' shennanigans to help psych out the lead driver during the closing stages of the race.
    That car is now owned by Tom Malloy who restored it to its original Indy configuration as the Don Lee Special - the car was at the recent Millers at Milwaukee Meet-
    (btw: MGM threatened to sue Jiggler Joe for using the reference to their movie)

25. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Actually, It is the red #35 "Don Lee" 1948 Kurtis 2000, which is what it was, in real life, before it became the "Mike Brannan Spl." for the movie. It is in good hands in the Tom Malloy collection.

26. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

27. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

28. the shadow

the shadow

can anone tell me when CAE in & out box's started showing up on sprinters & midgets, what years?

Paul

29. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Hi Tom,
    Here's what 'Special ed' had to say:
    "The Thorne Engineering shop in Burbank, circa 1938. Joel Thorne was the heir to the Chase Bank & Pullman Railroad Car fortune....At the age of 10 he inherited the sum of $38 million after his father's death. (that's 38 mil Great Depression value!) Joel entered several Indy cars as an owner and he also drove and finished in the top 10 on a couple of occasions. The Land Speed Racer was built to one up the German Auto Union juggernaught, but the war got in the way and it never ran in anger.....Thorne was also a Hollywood movie stunt pilot, and was killed in a plane crash @ Burbank Airport in 1955 at the age of 41. from Special Ed"

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Culbert was making sprint car parts back in the early 50s but I don't remember him making much stuff for midgets. A CAE compact I/O box would probably work in a midget though I don't remember those until the 70s.