Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Josh, I got to see that car a few times at the NHRA museum. An excellent re creation. You and Dan should be very proud of that car. It is awesome.

2. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Joshua, the photos that Bakes was referring to are on page 481 numbers 9612 and 9613 from Bob McConnell's garage. Lots of interest in the Geoff Bodine 99 rear engine Super Modified over on Pinners Bar and Grill site. Thanks to Bakes for finding the picture, I think there is another picture on page 3 of the thread as well.

Buildy said he had some knowledge of the history of this car and I hope he would share it with us Super Modified freaks. Great thread and lots of history here, sooner or later I will go through the whole thing.

Thanks for sharing.

Murray Adam

3. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

The one of hank in the chopped 34 no. 71 "jalopy" as we used to call them. Thanks Bill Van Dyke

4. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

AW now come on Niel you can do it...lol Yhea I am hoping to just having my 31 rolling by the show, and at least having a set of wheels for the 64 by then, hell you have a whole car to build.....lol The truck can be used by anybody if they want.....

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

consider it "in" ryan, I'll want it behind something.

6. racer5c

racer5c

7. Offy 220

Offy 220

Roy, thanks for posting the link about Page. I worked for his father-in-law in my younger years at his Diesel engine dealership. I remember Jamie when she was a teenager. I haven't seen Page in years, he has really progressed. Thanks for sharing.

8. baldtireman

baldtireman

I believe that I have the nose,hood, and tail from this car! John S.:)

9. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Guess I need to build a Push Bar, and find some wheels.. :D..

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yes you do Ryan...

ATTENTION ALL!!!!

It's getting to be that time of year again that I start looking for Cars for my display at our indoor car show here in Cincinnati. You may remeber some of the pics and stories that have been shared in years past of this get together.
    I am looking for ANY type of Vintage race cars.. Open wheel, Jalopies, stock cars, drag cars.. Whatever. In years past we have had some amazing cars from unrestored Millers, to Offy powered Midgets, to Indy roadsters and so on.. Please, pm me if you are interested in bringing a car or multiple cars.
    If you are traveling a far distance Hotel rooms can be arranged for VERY MUCH discounted prices through the show... (ask Harley Gene)

Thank you, and here is a couple pictures from past years.

Attached Files:

11. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Joshua, when and where's the show......Rich

12. baldtireman

baldtireman

While you are at it,Please introduce the rest of us to the ladies with the Rat Rod! Heh Heh!:D

13. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Roy.

Thank you for posting this. I remember running into Parnelli at Del Mar in '96 and asking about him and PJ said he is "progressing". Obviously he has overcome more than most of us will ever understand.

Mike.

14. baldtireman

baldtireman

Wasn't the bodine 99 a brawner car?;)

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Cincinnati Oh, Jan. 7th - 9th

Oh, and about the girls. I just threw them in ther eto see if ya'll were awake. ;-)

But... There are PLENTY at this paticular show! ;)

16. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

THANKS Joshua.....Rich

17. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Foyt signed a pic like this for me a few years ago. It hangs in my living room.

Attached Files:

• foyt.jpg
      foyt.jpg
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
  18. Buildy

Buildy

"Buildy said he had some knowledge of the history of this car and I hope he would share it with us Super Modified freaks. Great thread and lots of history here, sooner or later I will go through the whole thing.

Thanks for sharing.

Murray Adam
    Wasn't the bodine 99 a brawner car?''

No, the car was a Gerhardt,around a 1966 or 67. Not sure who it was originally built for,but before we got the car in 1969, it was owned by Bulldog Stables.It more than likely was Offy powered when it was new.
    When Bulldog stables ran the car it had a small block Chevy,which it had when my Dad and driver Jerry Karl(my uncle) bought the car.
    Jerry sold the car to Bodine around 1971.
    Bruce Walkup,Gene Bergin,and Possibly Denny Zimmerman drove the car in 1968.

Here is the car in question:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/millerracers2000/2205967513/in/set-72157603720064481/

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  19. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I drove that car. I think it was 68. I passed the first two phases of my rookie test at Indy in that car but wasn't able to go fast enough to complete the last phase. I also drove it at Trenton just before Indy but I can't remember if I actually made the race or not.

It was Bulldog Racing Stables owned by Buzz Harvey a Mack Truck dealer in Mass.
    The Chief Mechanic was Jimmy Jorgensen a friend and a long time owner and builder of many successful race cars.

There was also a team car that year in the Bulldog Racing Stables an Offy driven by Rick Muther.

It was a Gerhardt chassis.

Denny Z

20. wynns #1

wynns #1

A belated thank you to Stan Lobitz for the great time last Sunday. Nice to see Harley Gene, Arlan Kurtis, John Mahoney and Gene Crucean making the long distance trip. Looking forward to next year!

21. Buildy

Buildy

Hi Denny,

I checked Champcarstats.com and you did race the car in the 1968 Trenton 200 Start 20th- finish 20th with an engine problem.
    It was car #36 in 1968.

Another driver of the car in 1968 was Bob Harkey at Langhorne.

I agree with Wynn`s 1. Stan put on one heck of a great get together,and I got to meet Denny Z. there, too.

22. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

One of the most unusual sprint car engines from an engine Master..
    My Dad & I bought this 6 cyl. air-cooled radial sprint car engine fom Joe Gemsa, back in the mid 70's? (Don't remember where it went now. I probably sold it around 1993?) (I still have a couple of his foundry Patterns for the finned alum. side plates for the Gemsa/Ford banger conversions.) At the time we bought it, he had sent two old original photos (those curly-edged black & white ones) showing it installed in a nice looking white sprint car, sitting in Joe's shop, surrounded by Miller and Offy & Gemsa-converted engines all around the floor. I'm going to look thorough the boxes of photos for those two shots. Does anyone here have any photos of that white sprinter with this radial engine?
    To make the engine even more oddball, it had SIX throws, as each cylinder was slightly offset from the next one, as the cyls. were in a tight spiral around the center cases. From those exhaust stacks, I bet it was LOUD!

Attached Files:

23. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Okay. After two hours of sorting, I found at least ONE of the old photos that Joe Gemsa sent me. You will see the 6 cyl radial in the white sprint car in the bottom right of the photo. You can see part of the car 'name" on the left side of the cowl-part being blocked out by another cam housing of an Offy engine.. you can see a "RA...EXPER...." which MAY be Radial Experiment or Experimental? Any of you West Coast boys have more photos of it?

Attached Files:

24. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  25. nexxussian

nexxussian

Interesting, it looks like the cylinders are from either the McCullough target drone engine, or the postwar civilian version (since it has dual plugs).

Both were 2 stroke.

Loud?

I bet it sounded like a slightly wheezy version of a Merlin at full song.:D

26. Pretty sure the aircraft engine Gemsa ran was a Ranger. Ol' Joe never shyed away from the unusual! His "shop" was nothing more than 4 old truck bodies shoved together with a common roof. It was always a treat to go inside and see what rare piece of history Joe had unearthed. His little house on Rush Street in El Monte is still there, but when Joe Died, his daughter had the lot cleaned off, and the truck body shop went to the dump. Was kind of sad watching all that history go away.

27. racer5c

racer5c

Attached Files:

28. racer5c

racer5c

I drove this Ranger powered car last year at Zephyrhills

Attached Files:

29. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

30. carl s

carl s