Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got my Cobra Torch operational...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HobbyPoor, Nov 17, 2010.

1. HobbyPoor

HobbyPoor
    from Cochran Ga

Seems to be VERY tempermental on pressure...but least in the video and paperwork it tells you this. Once you figure out what tip size to use for your application, it goes alot easier. I read a tip on another site that said start welding with larger than needed tip on some scrap and after you can get a decent weld with that step down to smaller size and go again.....so I did and did seem to work. finally got to where I could fuse the metal together using no rod. Really seems to work pretty neat. Some things I would recommend to the next person.

1. Make sure you get the .5 tip for sheetmetal. (doesnt come in the reg kit...have to get upgraded kit, or buy it seperate for $20 BUCKS)

2. get someone who has used it before (successfully) to work with you.

3. even though it gets little expensive...buy the low pressure gauges. (gonna buy these this weekend at the swap meet so i can set the torch up little faster.

4. there are alot of fittings to tighten...make sure ALL of them are tight.

Ill report back once I have some good/better samples.

www.cutlikeplasma.com

2. terryr

terryr
    from earth

Their spiel sounds interesting.

3. HobbyPoor

HobbyPoor
    from Cochran Ga

Really not too bad. Seems little harder for those who have use gas torch before to get hang of then those who havent...I think most of that is in the set up. Several of the guys at the shop were really amazed at how well it worked once you got the "feel" for it. I can see us using it around here good bit (I manage bodyshops for GM)

After we use it for month or two Ill post an update...but as right now its not really that bad.

4. Been around for a long time and really work well. Search Henrob, that was the former name of it.

5. Friend has one and he gets very nice results. He did a stainless steel gas tank that is killer!

6. CalGasser

CalGasser

Don't mean to hijack but I have one complete kit for sale - used 1 time. Vic

7. weldtoride

weldtoride

Had one since before the name change, I love it. Still use a Victor and Smith, tho. I was told by guy who sold it to me since I was used to conventional O/A torch the learning curve for me would be longer, and he was right, it was. There are certain things it does really well, IMHO.

Cutting with it is amazing, in the small aize of kerf, control, etc. But I still find it really hard to get dialed in after being used to conventional cutting torch. Great for brazing, even copper brazing, (watch out for fumes)

8. Nicholson

Nicholson

They're good torches, a bit heavy though. I've had mine since 1993 and pretty much use it everyday.

9. banginona40

banginona40

I have one but haven't really used it enough to get good at it I need the low pressure gauges. Any advice on the best ones to get at the best price?

10. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I have had my Henrob 2000 about a year now. I have not used it that much so I am still learning to gas weld or at least trying to. I got the low pressure regulators with the kit. I would recomend getting them.

11. weldtoride

weldtoride

I’ve used mine on two different regulator sets, one a pretty good 2 stage, the other an entry level single stage set. Torch seems to work well off of either. I think the trick to getting the pressures right is to ignore the gauges and use the old-school technique of setting regulators while watching the flame. My torch came with a home-made video years ago that described it, and I was fortunate to live near the guy I bought it from, so I picked up the technique from him.

Kent White has the technique described here on his website, in reference to a different torch, but it’s one that requires low pressures as well. Look for “Setting Your Torch” under the torch description on this page: https://www.tinmantech.com/html/meco_midget_torch.php