Register now to get rid of these ads!

sprung or bagged

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ASPHALT RIPPER, Nov 17, 2010.

1. ASPHALT RIPPER

ASPHALT RIPPER

i am building a sixties style mild custom out of a 49 fleetline and having a crazy idea of keeping the car on springs instead of the air ride like most other cars these days. i want the car low just wanting some feed back from baggers or springers stating likes and dislikes

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

ok.....

I believe that you'll find sprung rides more prevalent than air ride set ups though....

3. ASPHALT RIPPER

ASPHALT RIPPER

you think it being sprung and real low will be a pain

4. Brickster

Brickster

My shoebox is between 3-4 inches off the ground with a static drop and it's not too bad. It less of a hassle than a poorly put together air ride system.

5. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

I popped an air bag in my Merc. Had to be trailered home. Only had them for one summer, never ever again.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Popped bags are most often due to an issue with the installation, allowing them to come in contact with metal (or anything else), ever. I have only seen a few bag failures, and they were all due to rubbing.

On the other hand, between my rides, and all of those that I have put together for customers, there are over 400,000 miles on bags, all trouble free.

Not to mention the fact that just about all truck freight floats on them too.

Bags have their place, and they are not for everyone. The system needs to be built properly. I never build a system where any part of the vehicle touches the ground when the air is out, and they all have bump stops to set down on. That way, they can be driven with a failed bag/line/valve, or multiples, slowly.

Static-low can be a real problem under some conditions. It depends on how and where you drive.

7. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

Did static low for years....bags (for cars) didn't exist. Larger cars with a static drop are more of a pain as your break-over angle is more severe. A simple drive way can be a bitch. If you are going to put a lot of miles on it....it won't be too low and scar free for long. Bags offer the advantage to adjust to the conditions as well as a good ride. To do bags right it will cost ya. If it's in the budget I'd go with (and have) bags.

8. Cshabang

Cshabang

ive never had bags, but i have had a "lifted" more commonly as juiced/hydraulic equipped vehicle, as well as static dropped stuff. My daily is static dropped, and ive gotten hung up pulling out of a driveway (even cornering it), the truck does bottom out here and there. etc. One of my cars was in mock up at ride height...it was low to the point I would have to unbolt the rear suspension to remove a tire....Adjustable suspension makes life easier, but theres also something to be said about being low all the time.

9. Gator

Gator

I don't disagree with anything you said Gimpy - I think the problems are with the guys that want to 'lay frame' or 'rocker' When something lets go with those cars then it's coming home on the hook.

Back to the original question - I've only owned one bagged vehicle, it was set up nice, engine driven compressor, FBSS, never gave me any trouble (even though it did lay the truck on the asphalt) but I don't think I'd ever bag anything else. I know there are some advantages to a properly bagged car, adjustable ride height and ride quality, etc, but to me once you get past the 'wow factor' of playing with thesystem setup or laying it on the ground at a show it's just not worth it.

Like you said, not for everybody.

[​IMG]

10. chigger

chigger

If you go static low, keep a bar of soap handy for fuel tank leaks/rubs, unless you relocate the tank of course.

11. fitzee

fitzee

Very interesting reading.going to be watching this one.

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im static low , my wish bones are my low point . my opinion is that static is dependable but requires a different driving style . alot of my friends are bagged & always working on them .............. steve

13. I've been driving a 55 Chev for years now with thousands of miles on it with 2.5" between the road and skid plate protecting the front cross member. The bump stops hit before I bottom out. The ass end is a bit higher so I never worry about rear end drag although I have to go with exhaust turn down before the axle. I've very seldom been hung up and the ride is terrific. You have to read the road and drive smart. Avoid speed bumps. The sign on my rear window says "Bags are for Groceries".

A few of my buds have bags and I've yet to hear them say a good thing about them. I wasn't that impressed with the rides either.

Each to there own. I just remember bags in the 60's...

14. DrJ

DrJ

My Dad was a Cadillac Mechanic and he took me to the GM training school in Burbank CA to the '59 Caddy air ride service class.
    I R&R'ed al the components of the system that day and learned a lot, just wish I remembered it half a century later
    I thought it was a neat setup but needed a reservoir tank to cover the minor leaks inherent in any inflated rubber balloon system.
    I was 11 at the time..
    He taught me how to work a lead paddle two years later. :cool:
    I miss that man.

15. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

I C-notched and slammed my 50 fleetline and kept it on leaf springs.

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had a '65 Coupe DeVille that was lower than damn near everything around. Rode great.....10 ft wheelbase will do that. My driveway has permanent drag marks. Had a late model Chevy 1/2 ton....same thing. Cool. Do it right. Drag where you can. Ride nice.

17. HRod 50

HRod 50

Sorry Man, but bags are a no brainer, if you want a car low, IMO. We are obviously looking for a particular look, so if you can have the best of both worlds, why not? Low when you want it, comfort and drivability when you want it as well. It isn't like anyone is going to know you car is bagged unless they look under it anyway, or youre laying rails.

The stance of my car is completely different now, and adjustable... Yayyy!!!

Attached Files:

18. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

the three running cars i have now were lowered by either cutting the right amount out of the front and rear springs, and leveled out in back with blocks. they are big cars, 61 caddy and 63 marauder, they both ride beautiful for being pretty dam low. only issue is front tire rub when wheels are cut all the way, but i can live with that because it's avoidable. just make sure everything underneath is tucked up nice and tight and your set. my pickup is done the same way, (drop spindles and cut coils up front and blocks in the back) and the only issue is the running boards scrap once in a while, and the truck actually rides better with weight in the bed. everyone has there own preference, and i've never had any problems doing it this way, plus it's cheap and can be done in a couple of hours. we put bags in my kids 65 rambler classic, and i can tell ya, i've never done one, and it's a real pain in the ass, very time consuming. should have static dropped it and spent the time doing other shit, but it does look pretty bad ass. i guess it really comes down to your fabrication skills and/or how deep your pockets are.

19. TERPU

TERPU

Springs- bags are for groceries, tired people, and ugly women.

Tim

20. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

You Cant say this enough !!!!

I Cringe at how many Old cars have been Ruined by People who think Bags are the Answere.

Are ya gonna run Gold 22" Spiners on it ?

21. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Rudy Rodriguez said it best, (his chopped 35 truck was way low)
    "Bags are ex girlfriends!"

22. ASPHALT RIPPER

ASPHALT RIPPER

thanks for the info guys no im not running gold spinners lol.
    story is i install a lot of air suspension with the frames i build for my customers but they all start getting cheep on like valves and fittings then they have leaks if i do bags i am going to hard copper line and also do accuair digital its the only thing i have heard good i just havnt had the customer that wants to drop that much i already have slam bags for car and everything has anyone ever used accuair manifolds or digital height sensor.

23. clinthull

clinthull

i just bought the accuair setup but i havnt installed it yet. The guys at universal air had a lot of good things to say about it tho. It looks like its built very well and simple to install.

24. ASPHALT RIPPER

ASPHALT RIPPER

would you mind showing some pics or feed back for me i heard it is the bees knees for airride what ya putting it on

25. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

Wish Kustombuick would chime in.....he has the Accuair set up.....30,000 plus miles....no issues. Cousinsteve has already put a ton of miles on his 53 puncho this summer...same system, no problems. I had around 10k on my bagged truck when I sold it.....no problems

26. clinthull

clinthull

ya ill keep you in the loop on it. The systems going on my 53 chevy but its gonna be a while before im driving on it, but ill definitely let you know how it works out.

27. RDR

RDR

Nova subframed/cut coils front....reversed spring eyes/lowering blocks and air shocks @ rear....100,000 trouble free miles since built....no bags/no thanks!:cool:

Attached Files:

28. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

Be careful with copper lines if you are going to drive it often. Copper work hardens easily with regular driving vibration. I have a couple friends that have run bagged pickups with copper refridgeration line and have broken lines due to work hardening. Stainless is a better candidate, though very expensive.

29. tony31a

tony31a

After ripping open my 63 Impalas front crossmember on a manhole cover I'm seriously considering bags. My cars not super low but between the crown in the road and the manhole sticking up a bit POW!

30. ASPHALT RIPPER

ASPHALT RIPPER

i did look into stainless but like you said expensive i was told that a type L line should be fine there was a tech article in a minitruckin "i know minitrucks" they do alot of airkits you know and do you know what type theres a soft and hard he used