Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thoughts on 472 caddy motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JDHolmes, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Route 66 fan

Route 66 fan

had one in a 68 deville convertible and that motor was bulletproof!

2. robertbandit

robertbandit

cid 500.com www.cadillacperformance,parts.com maximum torque specialties 262 740 1118 flashcraft albq. new mexico 505 8239340 caddy people lots of parts out there you have to LOOOK for them. i have been buying 500"s up for years 472 "s 425"s a bunch of the mags have run 500 cad info and stories lot of good info my 2 cents robertbandit

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I was very happy with the parts, advice and help I got from MTS (Maximum Torque Specialties) in doing mine. I'm VERY happy with the engine, it's LOTS of fun in a 2000 lb. car.

Is the valve train limited? Yes. Are parts a (very) little more? Yes. Are there problems going over 5,000 rpm? Probably, I don't like going sideways enough to keep my foot down long enough in mine long enough to even see the tach at 4K, so I don't really know. Opening the hood and having guys say "What IS that?" is worth the couple hundred more bucks.

I'm just say'n.

Brian

Thor1 likes this.
  4. Without any punctuation, I am still trying to figure out this post and I've read it 4 times??:eek:

5. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

WOW! A lot of recent action on this 3 year old post...gotta love it. I bought the 472 back then for a whopping $300. It's sitting on the stand in pretty much the same shape as when I bought it. I had trouble getting the exhaust manifolds off and have had to drill out the studs (not one of my favorite activities).

I'm still undecided on the motor for the 40 coupe. I've got the 472 caddy which will have a lot of "cool" factor and will provide all the power I ever need; I've got a Buick 455 which is narrower and will be easier to fit in the small engine bay of the coupe and will have some "cool" factor though less than the caddy (IMO); I've also got a 440 mopar that needs built (both the other are running, stock motors though) and the size factor is a negative there also.

Anyway, there's still time, I've redone the inside completely and now adding disc brakes to the front and dropped the rear and changed the rear to an 8 3/4 mopar. When the brakes are done, I'll start then engine bay and get the beast on the road.

Seeing Brian's car and hearing his commentary has edged me towards the caddy though...one of my fav cool cars

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Funny this should get a bump, I bought a nice running 1968 500 & auto about 15 minutes ago for £500, spooky

7. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I like the 472 in my '41 Caddy. It's all Cadillac, it's not a sbc, and it moves along fairly good for a giant car. [​IMG]

8. nolram

nolram

I am sure you know much more about engines than I do.
    But have you considered that Caddy engines could be lighter but stronger at the same time? They are lighter because they have a high nickel content in the block. Nickel is supposedly stronger than cast iron. Caddys don't have market support like other traditional hp engines because there is not as many of them and until relatively recently they existed in cars that were driven and babied by old people.