Register now to get rid of these ads!

Universal 5 lug Rocket wheel centering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jchav62, Nov 16, 2010.

1. jchav62

jchav62

I know the unilug wheels are hated by some people... But anyways, I have a set that we picked up from a swap meet. They are universal 5 lug Rockets (cragar S/S style), 15x8. I've been having a hard time getting a couple of them centered.

My question is, what can I use to help center these wheels? I've seen 'hub centric rings'... I've heard of washers to help. My buddy spotted a piece that seems to go between the wheel and the drum/spindle that seemed to be for that. What's out there?

Thanks...

2. jchav62

jchav62

I know that the universal 5 lug wheels were more common in the old days. I was hoping to pick someone's brain.

Anyone?

3. sdluck

sdluck

Pictures please,some had washers,some just fit on the inside or outside of the slot.

4. The wheels shouldn't center on the lugs anyway, they should center on the hub pilot ring (or axle flange pilot ring in the rear). Have some spacer rings made to adapt the front hub and rear axle pilots to the size of the wheel center holes. Then it doesn't matter how the lugs fit.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

Pictures would help, some had round washers and some had oblong washers,don"t get them right and you can mess up your studs and the wheels.

6. jchav62

jchav62

Here's a pic... I have a set of oblong washers that my buddy gave me. Seems there purpose is to just to cover the rest of the hole. Hard to keep straight...

Jeg's offers 'hub centric rings' in various sizes. I need to get some measurements and order a set. I was wondering if Rocket or Cragar made something back in the day for these wheels for the purpose of centering...and if there was, someone has these devices stashed in their shed...

Attached Files:

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

In the picture it really looks like the wrong washers,do you have a pic of one of the wheels off the car with no lugs,on the unilugs wheels that use the oblong washer the washer actually fits into an indention in the wheel and the stud hole is located in the washers for different applications.Even different length lugs are required too.

8. jchav62

jchav62

I know what indention you are taking about. These wheels don't have them. They just have a flat surface around the oblong hole.

I never snapped any shots with the wheels off. I'll pull one off a little later on... Thanks...

9. jjordan

jjordan

Those washers aren't doing anything for you. Without (heck probably even with) hub-centric rings you still need something to locate the wheel around the lug. Without that the wheel is free to float on the lugs (bad idea). Every mfg had a version of this in the 60's/70's. There are still companies out there that have these (Precision Wheel Co?) you need to get some or these are going to be loosening/out-of-balance all the time.

10. budd

budd

maybe someone tried to use your wheels on a different pattern, i have two styles of uni-lug wheels, one style has an oblong washer and one has a round washer, both fit in a machined recess, when you take pics include the back side as well.

11. jchav62

jchav62

The lug nuts have about a 1/2" shank. I've used unilugs before but never had this much troubles with them.

Thanks for the info guys...

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Call these guys they will have almost any special lug nut you need,Lugnut King (909)376-8011

13. budd

budd

is this thread dead now?

14. sell em its a battle even with the right washers and correct length shouldered lugs ... once a little loose the are gonna reshape the holes the washers are bitch ,find,to get and install right .. let em go ....

15. jchav62

jchav62

I've definitely considered that. I'm going to try a set of hub centric rings and if that don't do it, I'll find something else.

Thanks for the replies guys...

16. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I've ran several sets of uni-lugs. It's not that hard. I use a long pry bar to take the weight off the tire, start one lug, skip a couple of lugs, start another lug, tighten them hand tight, then start the rest of the lug nuts, tighten 'em down and torque 'em to specs.

17. jchav62

jchav62

I've ran a few sets before too. I use pretty much the same method that you use. But for some reason, these ones are giving me a hell of a time....

18. special-k

special-k

I've seen wheel like you have when I worked at a tire shop. Make sure the wheel fits tight on the hub center. Use the longest shank mag wheel nuts you can find with the biggest head you can find or heavy flat washers to spread the load out. Are the holes tight to the sides of the studs? Good luck.

19. racemad55

racemad55

My cragars on my nomad are like that,only rely on the lugnuts to center them,not the hub center, I think only E.T. had the recessed oval washer.?

20. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Most aftermarket wheels are lug-centric and not hub-centric.

21. Most mag wheel shank nuts are 0.68" in diameter and the slotted hole on the non-insert uni-lug wheel should be just a hair over 0.68" width. If you are using a shank nut at 1/2" diameter you'll never get them located. The system works but it takes some dinking around. If the width of the slots is buggered out bigger then you probably have some wall-hangers.

Charlie