Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 37 ford as a custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glendale, Nov 17, 2010.

1. I have a buddy and his dad has a 37 ford he wants to build as a custom. any of you guys have any pics of one done as a custom?thanks

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

An ass draggin 37 with skirts makes a sweeet custom.

I'll see what I can find.

Rich

3. thanks man. i am a custom guy for sure and i just can't picture it.

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

5. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

check out rik hovings site see what he has for the 37...but hell yeah a 37 will make a beautiful custom,tail drag the crap out of it.

6. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

I stole this from google images. Its kind of a rat rod, but I really dig the stance. Not sure on the patina, but it would look great painted too.

[​IMG]

Adam

7. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

For sure...now I'm gonna post a link, and if you don't come out of your house for the next few days we'll know either your head or computer exploded because there was just TOO MUCH to process. ;) Enjoy:

http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_..._i_like/ford_custom_cars/37_ford_custom_cars/

God Bless Rikster!!!

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

NOT a rutt Rod . Wasn`t this a 70,000 dollar build that got wrecked. Even won a big award. Decided to do a retro thing- then it landed on the cover of Street Rodder. It gets more attention the way it sits now than it ever did before.

9. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

Looks like that glass car that had metal door bottoms grafted on it and fake patina to look old. Was in a few mags. I may be wrong nut sure looks like the same car to me

10. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

i think the rust on that car is airbrushed.

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Thev car is FIBERGLASS

12. Rikster

Rikster

ok but now back to topic...

The photos posted before are not really customs at all.. Yes they are 1937 Ford, and they are even low they have white walls... but that does not make them a custom car.

It depends on the body style your friend has... but basically every 1937 Ford could look very good as a custom.

You dont see them that much... but I have always felt they had all the ingredients to become a killer custom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a 1938 Ford... but the 1937 Sedan could be used in the same way. The Packard grille is a natural for this car.

[​IMG]

13. Rikster

Rikster

Hank37 on here has this 1937 Ford Coupe that was customized in the 1940's.

It used to be built as a custom - which I obviously prefer over the Hot Rod version shown here - with white wall tires probably a set of fender skirts and a nice slight speed boat stance, very much like the 1938 Ford Coupe in white primer below it.

[​IMG]

This is how it is finished now.... but if you would imaging this one with white wall tires, nice hubcaps, hood sides, lowered stance, and a dark solid paint job.... then you can see how nice it would look as a custom.

[​IMG]

Barris custom based on a 1938 Ford Coupe

[​IMG]

14. very cool guys thanks.let's keep it going.

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Rikster to the rescue of another thread :D I too would LOVE to see the flamed one looking like its supposed to .

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think a '37 COULD be built as an attractive custom, but I think (with the greatest respect for Rik) that it hasn't happened yet. The design of the '37 body, following the '36, was done under a mandate to reduce material cost in the car. The result is that the body kinda has the corners rounded off (compared with a '36) and looks round and cute rather than sleek. I think that to look good as a taildragger custom, a '37 would need to be very low, with skirts. It would probably benefit from longer rear fenders, like Zephyr fenders.

A '37 coupe top has the same challenge as a '40: it's very difficult to lower it much without messing up the nice flow of the stock top. 90% of the '37-40 coupes that are chopped look pretty funky.

Anyway, it's an interesting challenge. Good luck!