Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 62 Galaxie project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wreckingball, Apr 14, 2010.

1. brokenman

brokenman

Fantastic, this is what it is all about!!!

2. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
    My big brudda Gluefoot has been putting in some hours color sanding and was getting into compound buffing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He just does amazing work for a guy that will be 64 next month and who is totally blind in 1 eye and 30 per cent in the other and no peripheral vision.
    He cannot drive anymore and he really wanted to prove to himself despite what life has dished up to him. He would do as much as he could with what he has left. I am so amazed and proud of what he has been able to do and am grateful that he really wanted to help me with this car.
    He summoned all that he has learned in more than 40 years and he painted the car.
    Gluefoot had both his knees replaced a couple of years ago and complications set while he was in recovery, he had a massive haemorage and as a consequence he was nearly totally blinded.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Adam, I salute you, you are Number One!!!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  3. teatar

teatar
    from Australia

INSANE - Are you guys for real?

4. teatar

teatar
    from Australia

I most certainly salute you too, Adam. Just incredible.

5. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

The Galaxie is looking great...Gotta love those big Fords.

6. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Thanks again to all for the kind words.
    The last couple of days were productive, though the outside trim retaining clips became an issue when we first started hanging the trim. I bought repop clips which supposedly were nearly identical, except for the lack of rubber extrusion which goes into the holes in the body. Gluefoot came up with a great idea to use a stud that has a sheetmetal head and is threaded. The idea worked a treat as the trim cannot work loose. The only down side was that it was time consuming job. The other thing took some is that the front fenders have to come off to get to the studs near the doors. I have had the fenders off the car so many times now I have lost count.

[​IMG]
    In the above pic, the wide trim is held onto the fender with self taper screws and the outer is held on by wire sprung clips that fit into the trim and a stud goes through the fend, the only way to get to stud near the doors is to have the fenders off.

[​IMG]

In the above pic the outer trim has been fitted.
    [​IMG]

The fender back on the car and now its time to tackle the other side
    [​IMG]
    Trim is now going on the the passenger side.
    [​IMG]

Gluefoot gave the car a bit of a tub to get rid of the residue from the compounding

[​IMG]

The sidetrim and fender cap is now done, the sills and wheel arch moldings on the passenger side are still to be done.

The rear bumper seal has also been fitted. The next items to go on will be the front and rear lights, the stone shield, grille and the bumpers. Will be doing the side glass weather strips and fuzzies and the the carpet and seats.

Both Gluefoot and I had the same thought of not putting the side trim back on to give the car a smooth look and a few custom touches. The only thing that stopped us from going ahead with it, was the fact that the body was so good and it would have almost criminal to have done that.

We came across a couple of cars that are near Gluefoot, one is a 55 Ford 2dr post car and 49-50 Ford more door, anyways either may be the subject for another project.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  7. thrush544

thrush544

WOW!!! Nice job, she is looking great!!! Your giving me inspiration!!! for my '64 Custom 500 2drsd. Now, if I only could get my wife on board!

God Bless,
    Ed

8. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Thanks Ed,

Just get stuck into your car do a bit each day or and you get closer to enjoying it with you wife.

Just a reminder of what it was like before I started on it.
    [​IMG]

9. Philbilly

Philbilly

Looking good! Keep us posted.

10. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Thanks Philbilly.
    Heading out early tomorrow to do some more work on the car.
    There should be some more progress over the next couple of days and should see some more items going back on
    [​IMG]

11. WOW! What an extremely clean car. very nice.

12. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

I have had a pretty productive last day and got a few more things done.
    The rear of the car is nearly completed, just have to do the trunk lock mechanism.
    [​IMG]
    Am just really pleased what Gluefoot and I achieved. The rear bumper like just about everything on this car has been testing. Anyways with a bunch of lateral thinking, its on, it straight and looks great.
    [​IMG]

And now have been moving to towards the front of the car hanging emblems and sill mold.
    Got outside in the brilliant sunshine and the color really pops out.
    [​IMG]

Installed the drivers side lights and dummyed the grille just to get and idea of what it will look like.
    [​IMG]

Here is another shot from the front and you can see the color is almost electric blue.
    [​IMG]
    The exterior is nearly done and will do the fuzzies and the window seals next and will finally do the carpet and the seats.

13. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Here are a few more shots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. thrush544

thrush544

She is looking sweet. I do have a question to how do you insert photos so only those signed in can see them? That's pretty cool.
    I have 3 64s and my new wife (of 2 years) doesn't think a person needs more than one, maybe two, but not three. So she is trying to understand, but .....
    Anyway the car is looking great. Nice pictures too. I had two 62s, both XLs, One a 390 one a 352. Sorry I sold the 390 now, it was a lot nicer than the 64 Custom 500 that I bought out of Arizona when I sold the two. It was not as advertised by a long shot.
    I do have a lot of odds and ends from the 62s, anything you might need?

God Bless,
    Ed

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  15. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Sweet project!

16. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

This thing is sweet. I just found this thread, and I have to say you are doing an awesome job. I love the direction this thing is going.

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted.

17. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Hi Ed,

To answer your question on adding pictures, go to this page and it explains how to do it,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=+pictures&match=all&titlesonly=1

As far any parts that I need, my front seat shields are not in the best of shape as both sides are cracked, I am hoping that I can plastic weld them.
    I will let you know and thanks for you offer and kind words, it is very much appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  18. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Thanks guys, I will definitely keep on posting, I hope that I may be able to help and motivate people to get stuck into getting their cars done.

Its been a real ride for me and have learned or managed to relearn a lot of stuff that I thought I knew.

Thanks once again to all that have commented or read this post.

19. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Time for another update, things did not start off that well, about 20 miles from Gluefoots place, the OT daily driver, went off song. Managed to limp to his place and after a quick check over it was decided to drop it off at the local garage for them to trouble shoot. Anyways after a few hours, 2 of the coil packs and subsequently 2 plugs died, a tank full of bad fuel were the culprits. In the meantime back at Gluefoots place, we toiled away at getting the front of the car done.
    [​IMG]
    As the day wore on, the humidity was rising and to the North West clouds were building so at some time during the day we were going to get hit with thunderstorms.
    [​IMG]
    Were were progressing albeit a little slowly as I was trying to find all the hardware, the front bumper went on really easily and the car was starting to look presentable.
    [​IMG]
    You may have noticed that the right front of the car is a little lower than the left. Seems I have a slow leak and will have to get some sealer and give the car a bit of a run to ensure that the leak get sealed.
    [​IMG]
    In the meantime this nasty front went over us and daylight went to nearly darkness, we should have had 2 1/2 left so we decided that maybe it was not going to be working in the garage with a big thunderstorm about to hit us.
    [​IMG]
    Just minutes after this was taken we got belted with over 3 inches of rain in the space of a couple hours.
    [​IMG]So with a couple of things that remain to be done to the front it will be finished.
    This morning I got and the garage floor had to be squeegeed out due to all the rain that fell overnight, we had a series of big storms his us and a lot of rain fell. All the lights have been hooked up and checked and all work as they should. Attention then turned to getting the engine started and running it seems that the starter relay went on the fritz so I will have get another before it can be fired up.

20. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

More progress has been made and may have finally sorted out the ignition issues. The exterior is all but done. Spent time trying to get to the bottom of the ignition issues has come down to the ignition switch plug or pigtail. The replacement was never going to work after I had referred to the original and the following site, http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring diagrams/fordindex.htm
    So an order is being placed with http://www.tbirdparts.com and hopefully it will arrive before Christmas, in the meantime I will have to cut the wires and crimp some push on terminals into the back of the ignition switch to get the car running so I can do some more checks and get it tuned as it or was running rich.

The windshield trim is proving to be a little pesky and will need to get some rubber grease and make up a small tool to open up the channel. That will be the last of the trim to go on and then the fuzzies and door rubbers will be done. When I can get some more money back in the kitty, the roof rail seals will the be the next and should be last item to be purchased.

The weather over the weekend was just great and cannot wait to go cruisin'. Saturday night went for a cruise down the bay in the OT 69 pony and really missed being able to just lope along in the old Galaxie.

21. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Your Galaxie turned out great! Super job!

22. reece

reece
    from NC

I'm not a Ford guy, but I really like your Galaxie! Excellent work and great thread.

23. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Yep... nothing like a FE Galaxie. Looks super in blue. Great job!:)

24. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Time for another short and quick update. After some wrassling and a liberal dose of rubber grease, got the windshield moldings are now back on as well as the door handles.
    Spent some time chasing the intermittent electrical problem and have traced it back to the main harness. Gluefoot rigged up a remote starter and hot wire and fired up the old girl. What was really surprising was it only took a couple of pumps of the accelerator, it started up straight away and idled without either the choke or using the accelerator to keep it running. The car has not been started for a number of weeks. Gluefoot reckons with all the compression its got it must be a diesel :D:D
    It really just goes back to his initial eyeball tune after I rebuilt the carbs.
    Will be doing the fuzzies and vent seals next and probably the carpet and the seats.

25. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

It sure reminds me of the 62 Galaxie 500 406 T-10 that I owned from 65 to 69. But it had 46,000 miles on it when I bought it. It was a good street racer, strong but heavy, 4000 lbs empty. Sold it in Panama when I got out of the Army.

26. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

TIme for another update, was going to install new vent window rubbers and thought it would be better if the frame should be rechromed, so that job wont be completed until early in the New Year. In the meantime I tackled all the fuzzies and that's another job out of the way.

Anyway its just another excuse to post some more progress pics.

[​IMG]
    Minus the vent window frame
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Lookin' Good- but I might be a little prejudiced towards Gals, '62's in particular- here's mine

Hardtop is the Evil Twin- original 406-6V car, 80K miles, original paint. Presently host to a 427-8V, C-6 w/ 4000 converter, and 5.14 gears with a spool- a certified Chebbie ego-shrinker. I have a set of Torque-Thrusts, and black steelies with Stahl drag fronts and old 11.00x15 Blue Streak slicks for it

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Ragtop is the Croozer Twin- original 390 car, but soon to get a 427

28. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Here is a quick little vid of the 62 before the paint and trim went on it. It seemed a long time ago when I was putting on the Torq Thrusts and moved it around the shed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJtR-hci4ks

Not much has happened to it since the last pics were posted, a lot has been going on that has prevented me from doing much to it. Hopefully in the coming days that will change and get it done.

29. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Getting ready to do some more this weekend, this time with some help from my only kid, feel proud as punch that my 18yo daughter wants to help her old man work on a car that scares her.
    [​IMG]
    Courtney will be doing the roof rail seals and some other small stuff, maybe even help replace the oil pan. It got damaged when the car slipped off floor jack and the pan got punched. Luckily it was only superficial and no one was under the car.

Got one of the quarter vent castings is back from the platers and will attach the new channel.

30. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Got a few more things done in the last couple of days, my daughter lent a hand did some riveting on the new window channels which had to be cut down to size and new holes drilled.
    [​IMG]

Have had some hardware issues where I got short changed on some of the solid rivets that should have come with the weatherseal kit. Have spent a lot of time and energy trying to source some locally. Did find an restoration supply company that caters for Australian cars that I have used before had some in stock. Would you believe $17.00 for a packet of 2 rivets. Needless to say that I could not bring myself to handing over my hard earned cash to the parasites, and for the Aussies who maybe following the build, the company is called Rare Spares.
    [​IMG]
    Am feeling very proud of the work that my family have done on the car,especially my brother Adam, who continues to inspire and keeps me grounded.