Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage Bonneville car pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Here's a few odds and ends that I came up with from the top of the photo file. I'll dig deeper for more.
    First row center is the mighty 411 'liner from Montana.

Second row starts with the Cramer-Taylor super slick modified roadster.

Third row Kowalski Customs matching Suburban/roadster, then Noland Whites Autopower streamliner, and a ultra traditional '29 roadster.

Fourth row starts with SCTA legend Multy & Vera Aldrich. Our departed racing brothers are often remembered as on the trunk of this '34 coupe. The south end of one of Don Fergussen, Sr's broken Arduns.

Fifth row features a very fast '56 Vette and a friendly native ready to take off into the desert sunset.

2. Now for the photos!!!!!

Attached Files:

3. What Corvette?? :D

4. The one with the pointy headlights !

5. gapeek

gapeek

Dean, You have some information mixed up. The blue #87 Bonneville roadster is the Peek Brothers car which we ran from '66 thru '71 when we were sort of booted out by rule changes after we finally went fast. We took it a bit personally, thinking not being from So Cal had something to do with the rule changes. We were from Colorado and as long as we were not threatening any records, no one cared...but in '69 with the change from the 426 wedge to a Hemi, we instantly went fast and ruffled some feathers. The pictures above were taken by Eric Rickman for the Hot Rod Magazine article in '68. The mechanical side of things were taken care of by my brother Michael and I was the fabricator / weldor and half time driver with driving duties split with our oldest brother Jerry. It is amazing to look back and see what youth and vigor can accomplish...I was 20 that year and the car was in its third year at Bonneville.
    If you look at the HRM coverage of Bonneville in '69 you get the impression that the B/GR and B/FR battle between Mark Dees and Peek Brothers was one of the more note worthy things of the week. At the end of the week we each had one record and both cars though drastically different in every respect ran on the same MPH!
    We sold the car after it sat in the garage under blankets for a few years but bought it back a few years ago and have started making plans to take it back to the salt, probably in the next year or two. Being older and wiser maybe we can go a bit faster next time but the younger generation may be driving...if they can pry my hands off the wheel!

Greg Peek
    Still in Colorado

6. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Rich,

Top row, right photo is the Young Brothers '39 Chevy, GMC power, run with both a stock head and a Wayne 12 Port. The car is the old Harvey Jackson drag car from Riverside. Keith had to buy the whole car to get the Wayne Chevy engine he wanted.

We converted the coupe to a salt car after the roadster was sold. Keith and his brothers Chandler and Art still run the car, now champagne in color, #270.

DW

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The lakester in the middle of the second row is Bud Morrell's car when it was flathead powered. Bud saw the light and bought a GMC from me some time after this picture was taken. Sadly Bud is no longer with us. I'm sad because Bud still owed me $50.

8. Cool thread, back from the dead!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thunderbirdesq likes this.
  9. Troyz

Troyz

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

just a few from my good old pics album.

10. callcoy

callcoy

I have photo's from when I was on the Salt in 1960. Was there with a group of guys from Orange Calif., most were guys who hung out at Hart's Auto, Jack Hart later with NHRA. The Orange crew included Doug Hartelt (Hot Rod Magazine Special Dragster) Glenn Minder, from Portola Valley was Bob Herda. Herda's streamliner wasn't completed so they were running Hartelt's Potvin front mount blown 392 Chrysler in Herda's Devin. I spent most of my time with Minder, 57 Corvette running C- Grand Touring. I have photos of Thompson's car, now with blowers just before the record, Rod Chappel's mini streamliner, Vesco and many others. The problem is, I don't know scan these or how to post them to this site. If someone can give me instructions I will get them on.
    Steve

11. yekoms

yekoms

I'm glad that this thread resurfaced...I missed it the first time around...
    Smokey

12. plan9

plan9

Hey Steve, do you have a scanner at home? I might be able to help out.
    If not usually the library will have one, or for a fee Kinko's copies will be able to do it.... there should be one in or around your area.

13. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

[​IMG]

World's Fastest Indian :D

14. Greg (gapeek) -

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.!!!

It's really great to hear that your roadster will be back on the salt!!!

Be sure to checkout Ryan's Old No. Eighty Seven Jalopy Journal Blog ... and all of the comments, corrections, & pics in the resultant H.A.M.B. discussion thread:

Old #87 thumb.jpg
    click thumbnail to view thread

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Here is one of Pete1

Attached Files:

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

17. deucemac

deucemac

Here's the Athol Graham 'liner in the pits this year. His son Butch has restored it and brought it out. Also, there was a picture of the Cramer-Taylor roadster. Bill Taylor (short/combi course starter) still owns the car and has it at his home in Minn. No it is NOT for sale either!

Attached Files:

18. This is one of Ak Miller's T roadsters. That's Ak with is foot on the rear wheel.

[​IMG]

19. So, you were not involved with Suspension Techniques? What information do I have mixed up?

A note on the blue #87. That roadster sat in a neighbor's garage about 6 doors from my house here in La Verne, Ca for about 5 years. Then, one day, I drove by and he had moved out, and the roadster was gone. That was about 10 years ago. I'm glad you got it back. Someday, maybe I'll have the same luck.

20. Very cool thread here, love these old picz, thanks to all for posting.

21. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

The Godfather of Salt. I have a few cigarette trading cards entitled the "Kings of Speed". Here is one with the man hisself Ab Jenkins. I'll scan more when I get time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cobb's Railton Special.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  22. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I think Ab was also the first to ride a motorcycle across the salt flats.

23. pure poetry in motion....even standing still...one of my all time favorites. :)

Attached Files:

• c-32.jpg
      c-32.jpg
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views:
  24. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

25. gapeek

gapeek

Dean,

The mixed up info was Greg Peek (me anyway) and Suspension techniques...never heard of it and never lived in LA area. May have been another Greg Peek who was not associated with the Peek Brothers Bonneville roadster. After we sold the car it was owned by Rich Hansen for somewhere around ten years or so, Rick boucned back and forth from Colorado Springs to LaVerne and back to Denver where he was employed by us in our wheelchair manufactruing business for a while. Then back to SoCal. In December 1995 he called up needing to liquidate an asset and within a week delivered the car back to our possession in Colorado where it will reside for eternity.
    Rick did take the car back to Bonneville a few times but never managed to approach the speeds we ran.
    The last run that I made in the car was 1971. You could always read the tach like a speedometer becasue of the way the car always hooked up. On that run the fuel tank cracked a seam and ran out of fuel when I was taching about 235 MPH on a qualifying run. As I recall, due to lack of a TIG welder in the trailer, the condition of the salt and probably other factors we were unable to repair the tank and called it a year!

26. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Capt George Eyston.........Thunderbolt (1937)

(pic from auto racing thread..courtesy Rapid Robert)

[​IMG]

27. Greg, thanks for clearing that up. Suspension Techniques was indeed owned and operated by a fellow named Greg Peek. All these years I thought he was you. Rick Hansen lived about 6 houses from me. One day he was there, the next day he was gone. Always wondered what happened to him and your roadster. The "other" greg was a very nice guy. He borrowed my '85 T bird to develop springs for, and gave me a set for the use of the car, then did the same when I traded that car for a '90 T bird Super Coupe. Thanks again. Guess I'll file this under "small world'.

28. nightperson

nightperson

nevermind i found what i wanted

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  29. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

One of the only problems with the HAMB is the lack of a forum contents or heading page along with a "replys to my post" heading.
    I have never seen this page but I'm glad it turned up again.

Attached Files: