Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you use to inflate your tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mdub, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Griznant

Griznant

If it's on the internets, you know it's true!

2. BJR

BJR

Me too.

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

notice the raft isn't even fully inflated? it's so fake it's not even a good fake.

[​IMG]

4. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Didnt he live next door to that one dude?

5. 1Evil55

1Evil55
    from Illanoys

Really? Its on the internet, of course its real.

To answer the OP, air is typically used.

6. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

I keep a portable air tank around too, but I got tired of filling it through the little schrader valve on the top. I replaced the little stub lead with a 5' coiled airhose, and put a quick disconnect on it. Then I added a ball valve with a male QD to my compressor tank, so I can just connect the two, open the valve, and fill the portable tank in about 15 seconds.

That way I can also use the air tank when I want to go shoot a few nails somewhere with a nail gun. I can drive about 50 finish nails of a tank of air before having to recharge.

7. mdub

mdub

mmm.... pancakes....

8. mdub

mdub

what are the odds i could turn my pancake tank into a portable tank and fill it with the other compressor. anyone ever done this?

9. squirrel

squirrel

that there is a neat idea!

10. I used to have one of these hard wired to my engine dyno..................:eek:

11. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

If nitrogen won't leak out and air is 78% nitrogen, won't your tires become 95% nitrogen after airing it up a few times? Hell air is free Nitrogen cost money.

12. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

You said fill the tire with farts!!!:D LMAO!!!:D Nitrogen filling is B.S. for sure. (Brown flag..lmao again...) I've never heard about the moisture thing. I have heard it is used because it doesn't expand and contract. Again B.S. Though if the moisture thing is true I can see it being helpful for some late models that have problems with alloy wheels corroding but you would have to use it from new.:rolleyes:

13. PieisgooD

PieisgooD
    from Omaha

That seems to be the best place to have one or in the pits at the drag strip.

I use an air hose at the gas station as long as some punk hasn't cut the end off.

14. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Has anyone tried inflating their tires
    with hydrogen??? The Germans
    used to use hydrogen in their
    Zeppelins....and I'll bet it would
    work *every bit as good* in car
    tires as it did in Zeppelins!!! :eek::D

Mart3406
    ============================

Attached Files:

15. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

I use this Craftsman unit. Works well for tires and tools. Have a long hose to reach anywhere in the garage.:D[​IMG]

16. I have a buddy that used N2 in the race cars he crew chiefs and switched to air that has been through a dryer and says it is as stable as N2 when the tires heat up. He told me that moisture in cold tires affects the pressure when the race tires get hot, they switched to dry air and it works as the same as the N2.
    Air from a dryer might be an alternative if it matters to you.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of those under 100 bucks Harbor Freight compressors with an 8 gal I think tank. I also have the former freon tank that has been my portable air tank for the past 30 years.

18. Now this is some good logic;)

19. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

OOH, thats some thinkin there... I'm gonna ask my old boss that, he always preaches nitrogen.

I know you were kidding but... I don't believe it would work as well. The reason behind Nitrogen (i use air, checking my tires once and a while just isn't all that hard) is that the nitrogen molecule is bigger than oxygen. The idear then, is that nitrogen won't leak as readily out of tiny cracks/pores in tires.
    Hydrogen is a lot smaller. By the same theory as nitrogen filled tires, hydrogen would leak faster than regular air, plus it would cost money.

Sorry, I just got out of chemistry :D

Adam

20. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That is the cleanest garage I have ever seen ! I really like the way it's laid out too .
    I do have one question , do you park in that spot ?
    I am just wondering because of the Pink " Princess Parking" sign on the wall in front of that spot ! :eek:
    Sorry but I just couldn't help myself after seeing that sign on the wall !
    Really nice garage ! :rolleyes:

Retro Jim

21. [​IMG]

WAIT A DARN MINUTE- That's a Pancake Clamp, not a Pancake compressor - Jeeez :rolleyes:

22. Yeah, he is showing off! :D

23. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Thanks Jim. I get asked that a lot when I post any picture with it in it. :D
    That's what Anne (love of my life for over 35 years) calls the vette and she gave me the sign. So it's stays, besides it gets good laughs and conversation from friends.:D

Also some razzing from the forums too. Even some teasing about showing off, like from Don.;) He is right though. I enjoy showing it, while it was clean and new looking. Still a work in progress though.
    Here's the "Princess" in it's place.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Along with more of the garage.:D End of thread highjack.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Nitrogen HAS to be the best. Otherwise the new car dealers 'round here (not us) wouldn't charge $99 for a nitrogen fill.

Or is that just another stupid tax??

Cosmo

25. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

Since we've managed to turn this into a nitrogen thread, can someone tell me how, when you mount the tire to the rim, you get all the air (and moisture) out of it first before you fill it with nitrogen? Oh, and if the whole benefit of nitrogen fill is the dryness, how do you keep the rubber lubricant (RuGlyde is 85-90% WATER according to the label) that gets swabbed on the bead from dripping into the tire?

Tax??? Heck no, it's pure profit!

26. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

sometimes, I just use one of those cheapy portable compressors.

the kind you charge from a wall socket. comes from Wal-Mart or Kragen's or Home Depot.

charge it up, throw it in the trunk.

i've never used it to completely fill a tire from empty, but it'll top one up just fine.

dv

27. Dodge Dude

Dodge Dude

28. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I fill my tires with this. Came out of a dentist's office. It's for sale in classifieds.

Attached Files: