Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you use to inflate your tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mdub, Nov 16, 2010.

1. mdub

mdub

i just burned up my pancake compressor and i dont leave the Brunner with air in the tank. so, should i buy another pancake?

2. 61falcon

61falcon

i keep one of those portable air tanks full and ready to use at all times. it works great for topping off a tire at home or i throw it in trunk of my falcon for road trips since i dont carry a spare.

3. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

If you plan on ever using air tools or spray equipment get a bigger compressor. I think mine is 20gal, its marginal at times. To just air up tires a little compressor like what you had would be fine.

Adam

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

5. Patdoody

Patdoody

Ive got a 60gal 5hp compressor. Couldn't live with out, mostly because those little compressors don't run air tools for squat.

6. mdub

mdub

Thanks, i hadn't thought about a portable tank.

I have a 1948 Brunner, 220V, 2 stage compressor for tools but i dont like leaving the tank full and my line regulator has an oiler on it.

7. lawman

lawman

7 hp 60 gal. It is a must have !!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

8. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Sounds like you need a second tank and a couple valves and a line hooked to your other compressor.

9. O.K, roadfarmer he meant what machine......................{ buddy, I was gonna say nitrogen, he, he } :rolleyes: :D

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I thought this was going to be one of these air vs nitrogen threads, nitrogen seems to be the latest trend, even though air has worked just fine since the first cars. :rolleyes: , if you buy a used air tank, look at it carefully, they have a destroy date on the tank. I bought one used last week, didn't flip it over, when I did. I discovered it had rusted out on the bottom, and been repaired with a stick welder!!! it went right back. an old tank may look fine, but if the water hasn't been drained like it's supposed to, they can rust from the inside out, and be ready to explode

11. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Damn, you took my smartass remark.

12. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

Ha tire slime... damn slow leak

13. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I was gonna say a compessor?

14. Nitrogen when I can. It removes moisture that most compressors create.

Lot of tire place's sell it now for a one time charge for the life iof the tire. Anywhere from $5 to $9 a tire... one time charge.

Tire casings last longer. Integrity of the tire is maintained longer from the inside out.

Chrome Plated Wheels are not subjected to moisture and eliminates wheel rusting (and potential peeling on chromed alloy wheels) from the inside out as well.

It leaks slower than air, mostly because it is supposed to be a "larger molecule" and therefore leaks out slower.

If you have a new car with TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System), get nitrogen. It will stop the damn light from freaking you out!

I have seen tires that were converted to Nitrogen at 90 days or more and had not dropped a pound!

Nitrogen is not flamable. It is used in aircraft tires and NASCAR.

Nitrogen is not affected by altitude as much, and for cars that "sit for while" it is s great way to help keep tires from getting flat spots.

Costco uses it in tires you buy from them, but... if it isn't at LEAST 95% Nitrogen "IN THE TIRE", it doesn't work! PERIOD! They have a gauge that measures the air/nitrogen ratio in the tire, and ask to see it!

If it is NOT 95% or higher, IN THE TIRE, it is WORTHLESS!

And believe it or not, you can "feel it" as you drive too.

I can not tell you how many people have made that notice and commented on that as well.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Generally speaking I'm a diehard. My buddy did the nitro gig for me N/C on an O/T daily. Many here will refuse to believe it but...over 2yrs, factory aluminum wheels (always a problem), a car that sat for months sometimes. Still at the 32 lbs they put em at. Lucky? Don't know, don't care. I'm a believer. As far as ride, well, any new tire rides and drives better when you wait as long as I did so I can't comment on that.:rolleyes:

16. squirrel

squirrel

Mostly nitrogen, but that's what air is mostly made of....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth

Yesterday I used my 20 year old air tank to fill up the flat tire on my truck. I use the old 5 hp two stage compressor to fill up the tank. The other garage has a 27 year old 1 hp compressor, which we usually use to fill up the tires on the drivers.

So...if air is 80% nitrogen, and you let the 20% oxygen leak out leaving only the nitrogen and the 1% other stuff, then you've done most of what the tire stores charge extra $$ for, right? :)

people are funny

17. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Son of a bitch! That was one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a while. Do you think this was real?

18. I typically use an air chuck connected to an air hose that connects to a big 40 gallon air compressor.

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely real. I know a guy who has a friend who's cousin was married to the guy's ex-wifes' sister-in-law.

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squirrel, I'm the type to sort that kinda stuff too. Never gave it much thought. All I'm sayin is that for free my pal at Belle Tire nitro'd my tires and the freakin things didn't leak a bit for over 2yrs. I have others with regular ol compressed air in em that seep down all the time. If I didn't at least think to check em once in a while I'd have never known. I also put the disclaimer in there that I maybe just got lucky and had a great seal on that set. I still get the nitrogen no charge from him so WTF, right?

21. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

of course its real,, 792 stitches, 185 screws, 6 titanium plates, one door hinge and a donor brain fixed me gooder than new.

22. KATFISH

KATFISH

PINK AIR
    Most of you are too young to know what i'm refering to.

23. This seems, mostly, to be a bunch of hooey, dreamed up by the tire industry to sell you something that you don't need.
    As stated elswhere, the atmosphere is, primarily, nitrogen anyway.
    How can it "remove" moisture. If there is moisture inside the tire, and the nitrogen cannot escape due to it's "large" molecules, how does it remove moisture?
    Air is not flammable either, last time I checked.
    Didn't loose a pound in 90 days? Wow, that long!!?? What a miracle.
    As to the flat spots and "feel", I'm raising the brown flag on those as well. Pressure is pressure. You could fill the tire with air or farts. It wouldn't make a difference.......until you had a leak:p

24. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Did you say you just burned up
    your 'pancake compressor'??
    One of these?????:eek::eek::D

Mart3406
    ==================

Attached Files:

25. my old ladys hot air!!!

26. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

I like air in my tires, usually when doing a corrcect restoration I like to find the correct year of air... currently looking for some 1965 if anyone has some extra...

27. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I always change the air in my tires in fall to winter weight air.

28. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-------------
    Yep. That's always a good idea!
    'Winter-weight air' is more dense and
    thus, it gives better traction in snow!!!
    :eek::D

A few words of caution - even though it's
    more "traditional", don't ever put 'bias
    ply air' in a radial tire and never, ever
    uses 'tubeless air' in a tube tire either!!
    If you have to though, 'wide whitewall
    air' is ok in blackwall tires in a pinch.
    :D:D

Mart3406
    =======================

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if you filled it with farts you would at least know when you've got a leak!!