Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Corvair Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inlinr6, Nov 6, 2010.

1. inlinr6

inlinr6

I've been collecting parts to build a gasser,and I'm going to drive it on the street.It will be a Corvair body,strait axle,SBC with mechanical hillborn fuel injection.I need some Ideas on tires :dot slick,or something like those recaped hurst slicks.any help?

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Maybe consider moving the rear wheel openings forward some. They always look weird to me, especially when they sit high. As far as wheels/tires, it depends on the time period your going for. The Hurst tires are a good bang for your buck. Time wise, I think the modern looking tires (smooth sidewall) came out late '66 or so.

3. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

id do the repo hurts .i want to do a corvair and a vw bug before i die but i think a 1960 hardtop would look the best ..post some pics can't wait to see this.

4. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

YEah, what year Corvair?

I've got a 63 Greenbrier that is begging to be gassed...

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

We are looking forward to the build.

Tires/wheels are the last part of the build and are easily changed.

Start from the beginning and keep us posted.

6. 409 Mid-Engine Greenbriar! Painted pagan green....of course! Maybe with a Br'er Rabbit on the side!?!?!? Get it....Green Br'er!?!?!?! (I know....dumb idea! But it could be cool!)

7. Never thought of one being a gasser, but sounds very cool!

8. check out e-bay punch in gasser under car and trucks there is a blown Corvair Gasser up for sale right now

9. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

10. papajohn

papajohn

That's mine! I bought it, didn't build it.

It gets lots of attention.

11. Larry T

Larry T

No doubt that it'll be a neat car but a Gasser that originally came with the engine in the rear, couldn't have the engine forward mounted. Just trying to keep the nomenclature right.
    But as usual, I could be wrong.
    Larry T

12. What class would such a car be legal in? I have seen old drag photos from the 60s with front engined Corvairs. In fact, I want to build one myself, to run on a local rural 1/8 mile strip. They'll let you run just about anything there.

13. O.K.E.

O.K.E.
    from norway

I disagree, wheel/tire is the most important part of the build. How they are placed in the wheel well, and ride hight are not easily changed.

14. Larry T

Larry T

I think they fit in Altered and I've seen Corvair Funnycars.
    Like I always say, I could be wrong. A corvair or VW could run in the gasser class, but the had to use an engine that was available in the car in the original location. There were LOTS of killer VW gassers dragging the back bumper in the early 70's.
    I haven't seen any classes at the local tracks in a long time, except for booked in shows and the different associations that run together. Just make sure you meet the safety requirements and have fun.
    Larry T

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010