Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Brief case on the fender adds interest???? Leave it to your imagination.

Blacki-Suede

2. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Knowing the owner of that car "Marty Himes", the briefcase (if his) would have been filled with pictures depicting the history of that car from the time it was a Kurtis Kraft midget through the time (after it was stretched) it ran as a sprint car.

BTW .. that car .. #52 .. has a one of a kind Offy engine that was built to very specific specs to run (in a sports car) in the 24 hours of LeMans .. which I believe it did.

That car & it's unique Offy engine reside in the Himes Museum of Auto Racing Nostalgia in Bay Shore (Long Island), NY

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  3. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Time to put everything back on. A fresh white start!

[​IMG]

4. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

BZ, did you get your harness mounting issues figured out?

5. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I did, I added another cross member right in front of the roll bar spuds that goes up and gets me pretty close to the right geometry. The new cross member also takes the harness load off the shoulder hoop. I also got another seat that is 16" wide instead of the 14.75 I had. Wow what a difference.

[​IMG]

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

No more GOLDEN CORRAL for you! :p Just kidding, your a very fit young man!

On a side note.. All this action means she'll be ready for my display at Cavalcade, correct?

JD

7. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

I think the Cherry Bomb came at the on set of the mod era. Yep..David was pretty aggressive from the start.

8. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

With any luck. it will be close. I might have a hard time finding a last minute sign painter though! ;)

9. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

10. CaptCharlie

CaptCharlie

Some pictures I found of the 1966 Knoxville Nationals ( They were still called Supermodifieds). Winner was Jay Woodside.

This is my first time adding pictures - so I hope they come up.

Attached Files:

11. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

NIEL keep up the killer work....What this about the CAVALCADE? IS it that time already... If anybody needs a nice push truck for they're display, I will offer up the 64 F-100, I just need to change out the HOOPTY wheels, they are a little to 1987...

12. dguitard

dguitard

Any vintage sprint car experts out there have any information on the history or where-abouts of this car? Original owner Skeet Gibson of Phoenix, the car was an Edmonds frame built about 1968-69 and was called "Twister II".

Some additional information: This car came after Hank Arnold's Twister, Jerry McClung drove it and defended the championship. Bob Huebner won the Western in it and then Jan Opperman won the Western in it. Buddy Taylor won a championship in it and I would have to say it has probably won more races at Manzanita than any other car. McClung, Gene Brown, Huebner, <WBR></WBR>Opperman, Leland McSpadden, Rickey Hood and Taylor all won in it and I believe it was the only repeat Western winning car. McClung also set a world record for the mile at Sacramento.

This car was an Edmunds frame only, everything else including all the suspension was made by my Grandfather, Dad and Uncle. In fact, most everything on the frame, all the pickup points, engine location were also changed. Robert Harrell did the unique body with the teardrop bubbles on the hood. Halibrand rear end, CAE gearbox, Halibrand lobster brakes and schroeder steering gear. The engine was a welded stroked crank by Arizona Hardchrome and it really ran.

Leo Ruggles supposedly sold it to someone in California, unfortunately he has passed so I have no leads but I am very interested in seeing if it still exists in any form. Thanks Billy Gibson Jr

Attached Files:

13. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I went to Stan Lobitz's gettogether this past weekend.....WOW....had a great time. Got to see lots of old friends, got to meet some new friends (some of which are HAMBers) Nice cars on display...and great food.
    ......Thank You Stan......see ya next year....Denny Z

14. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Denny,I have to agree with you on that I had a great time also,meeting You,Wynns1,Ken Schou,Sprinter2,Buildy,Mlight9,Spike Gillespie,Paxton.Also had a great time talking with Arlen Kurtis,And we can't forget the Great host Stan Lobitz.....Rich

15. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

I am still looking for this stapp sprinter,i have it traced to 1980-81,and i beleive it went to tom ishe that promotes baer field speedway in ft wayne,in. After that the path is cold,so if anyone remembers this car,id be appreciated,THE LAST KNOWN DRIVER IS CARL MISKOTTEN,HE WAS FROM INDIANA AT THE TIME

Attached Files:

16. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

A push truck would look cool, but we are talking about cavalcade 2012 right? This year will be cutting it close.

17. I just got home from the Stan Lobitz party.... words will be strained to describe the drunken blitz that was....photos to follow tomorrow. Long drive home and hittin' the sack....well, alright one photo to set the tone of the get together.....
    THANKS Stan.....What a hoot it was. Sorry I had to squeal on you......
    HG :cool: :D

[​IMG]

18. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I really wish I could have made it! Would have been great to meet you guys! Unfortunately I have been busy lately and had to work this past weekend. Maybe next year?

19. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Neat facebook..noticed some one posted my snapshot I took back in 52 or 53 without giving me credit. Bummer. Glad to see Hank still has lots of fans. He and Roberta were good to David and I. Made us feel part of the team. I remember one night at the old Cody Street garage when Hank got his hand smashed between the frame and front spring and somehow I lifted it enough for him to get his hand out. Adrenalin is a wonderful thing!

20. Buildy

Buildy

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  21. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Thanks Tony! Is that Kurtis Indy winners poster in print?

22. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Thanks for the pictures Buildy... too bad I couldn't make it this year.

The "White Phantom" was at Latimore earlier this year, seems they're still moving along on it.
    Maybe by next year we'll see it out on the track!

Zach

23. If I could be serious for a moment (listen carefully, it doesn't happen that often) I must share with you the the great time that was had by all at the Stan lobitz party. He is a most cordial host and gives so much of himself for a very good cause. The Eastern Motorsports Museum of Racing, the EMMR, is a very good, small (but not for much longer as they are knocking the walls out to expand) and well kept facility. When one is in Eastern Pennsylvania, I feel it is worth a little detour to stop in. Stan's party is a fund raiser for the EMMR. The auction raised over $6400.00 this year. They have an aggressive plan for the future to grow the facility and Stan Lobitz will be a major player in seeing that that happens.
    They will accept donations for the museum or for the auction, either helps. Lynn Paxton and his staff are doing a bang up job operating the museum. Soooo, next year circle the date on your calender to either attend or send articles for the auction.........Ole Stan needs the money...lol oops, slipped off the serious thing there. Back to serious.... If one decides to come to Stan's party, only come if you want to have a good time.....whineing and bitching not allowed.
    Here is a photo that sends the message for the kind of time you will have. Chris Economaki and Stan have done so much for us in racing.

Thanks Stan for a fun filled weekend,
    HG :cool: :D:D:D

[​IMG]

24. Buildy

Buildy

"Thanks Tony! Is that Kurtis Indy winners poster in print?"

Yes,I believe they said they are available at the EMMR gift shop.

Zach,

The owner told me he did run the car somewhere this summer. Glad you guys enjoyed the photos!

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Great Pictures Gene! I was riding bikes last night when you called, didn't have my phone on me.

I'll plan on making that get together next year and bring some items to auction off.

J shaw

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

On a side note, and a lil off topic.. I wanna share with you guys something I got to work on that I'm kinda proud of!

It's not a sprint car, but I think ya'll will agree, that it is close!

This is a RE-MAKE of the Phil Remington Dry lakes roadster. Phill ran this thing at 140+ BEFORE WWII!!

Anyways, the car was destroyed by some drag racers long gone. (rumor says it was cut in half by a clutch explosion) Dan Webb who Built the modern style re-make of Harry Miller Submarine, decided to re-create it to exact specs with the help of Numerous pictures, and Phill Remington himself! (Still alive)

I Helped in the build by locating numerous parts such as a perfect un touched model A frame and suspension to be used on this car, also the correct "heavy" 32 ford front axle. Dan did the build and when it was nearly finished I went Detroit to letter the numbers in it EXACTLY like they were. They were streaked almost like shoe polish, and didn't match side to side.

I also hand painted the Penzoil stickers.

The main reason I'm so proud is that the car has been on display the NHRA museum, Peterson Museum, and SEMA. It will be a museum car touring the country for a years to come.

Enjoy..

Attached Files:

27. dguitard

dguitard

What pic of yours got posted? Hell, I may have done it! Let me know which one it is and I'll sure credit it to you.

28. Nice work Josh.......what can I say that hasnt been said before......

29. Ebert

Ebert

Josh,

Man, what a beauty!!!! Congrats on your involvement with such an outstanding car and purpose!

30. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks Joshua and all involved.
    very impressive work and 'dedication' to preserving our motorsports heritage