Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bolt pattern 5 on 5.5 diameter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elroots33, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Hello,
    Does anyone of you could give me the diameter of the studs on a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern ?
    I must drill a flask with this bolt pattern, but I don't know exactly the real diameter.
    Thanks

2. if you are talking about old ford 5 on 5-1/2" , the studs have 1/2-20 thread

3. Nortin

Nortin
    from Canada

The drill bit for drilling holes for the studs is undersized so the splines on the stud will cut their way into the flange material. Drill size is critical to a strong stud installation

4. Oh, sorry ... I think I didn't right explain my need ...
    Yes, I talk about the early Ford bolt pattern.
    When we talk about 5-1/2" (139.7mm), measured between the center of a stud and the exterior of those are not adjacent of it, can we consider this 5-1/2 dimension is also the diameter on which the 5 studs are positionned ?
    I must draw on my flask the circle on which the studs will come, and I want to be sure of the diameter.

5. i think we are missing each other with the translation , but if you drew a line through the center of each of the 5 studs 5-1/2 inches would be the diameter

set your compass at 2-3/4"...that's the radius..... then draw a circle from the center point. that will give you the bolt circle. divide the circle into 5 equal parts and that's the bolt pattern

curious...why do you need to put this on a flask? i keep brandy in mine

edit: i wasn't thinking clearly with 2-1/2 , 2-3/4 inches is correct

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Maybe means disc..

7. The radius of 5 1/2" is actually 2 3/4".

8. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

the radius would be 2-3/4"

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I think he's asking for the I.D. of the actual stud....

dj

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

2 1/2 radius would be 5 dia, 2 3/4 radius would be 5.5 circle dia.

11. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

When measuring bolt pattern its a criss cross measurment, center to center of stud . same as titening lugs. If it was from lug to lug that would be a large pattern?

12. Measure center of one stud, skip the adjacent stud, to the outside of the next stud (the third stud).
    This is for 5 lug pattern.

13. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

14. I'm going to make these flasks to change the Volvo 5 x 108mm I have on my rear end to the 5 x 139.7mm of early Ford.
    That is to use the same wheels as the front end, where I've got Ford 46 drums.
    Thanks for all these precisons

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Maybe means Flange....

16. To change the dimension of the rear hubs and the bolt pattern, if you prefer !

17. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

this is the right way

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

19. Yes, I know that way to measure, Crminal, but I just want to know if this dimension is also the diameter of the circle that studs make !
    Your way is to measure, when the diameter is needed to draw and drill the holes, do you understand !?

20. Yes, Seb Fontana, a sort of adaptors, but placed and welded around the Volvo hubs, behind the drums.
    I make this job to not use external adaptors which enlarge a lot (about 60mm) the rear end.

21. I get it now. If I were home, I'd get a circle template out and measure for you.
    For now, I'll turn it over to a fellow Hamb'er:p

22. Sorry, guys, it's near 2:00am in France, and I go to bed !! Thanks a lot !