Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it worth picking up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowburban, Nov 11, 2010.

1. lowburban

lowburban

So I'm looking at a 55 Packard Clipper. Good = Runs and drives 352 auto , xtra set of tail light bezels, Interior pretty clean especially the dash, front bumper and grill nice, headlight bezels nice, glass is nice. Bad = Usual rust but not bad, hood has some damage, No rear bumper, 4 doors.

Guy only wants $300 for it. It keeps getting passed around because it's got no title because it has no real vin. Packards didn't have em, just the manufacturers stamps on the engine and door jamb. Local DPS is clueless because it's not a modern vin. I think I could take it to austin and let them check it and then have a vin assigned. I know it's clean because I know the family that bought it new. Even if I didn't wanna hassle with it I'm thinking I could part it out and haul it across the scales and make money. What do you guys think? Should I?

2. for 300 part it out and cut it up for scrap
    tk

3. Nothing had a VIN until the mid '60s.

4. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

New titles are pretty easy to get (at least in my state) so I wouldn't worry about that. I would pick it up, stare at it a while then cusomize the shit out of it. Test your skills and try some new things. If it works, you gain alot of knowledge and an awesome car, if it doesn't, you still learn a lot and you part out the rest.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Get it. I did the same thing right down to the $300 a while ago. Before long the word got around and Packards started following me home. That's how I got the engine that I put in my Vega. It was in the trunk of a '55 donation. And Packs are cool. If you find a stick bellhousing late Ford transmissions (3 and 4 speeds) are near bolt ons.

Attached Files:

6. Squablow

Squablow

I'd be all over it for $300, sounds almost too nice to part out though. If you do get it and part it, I wouldn't mind having the tail lights and a big chunk of the quarters surrounding them.

7. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

All '55 Packards...even Clippers are cool!
    For 300 bucks I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

Mart3406
    =====================

8. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. lawman

lawman

Gooo For it !!!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

10. Tell me where its at. I'll go pick it up.

11. I could probably come up with 300 hundred bucks and wouldn't mind the title hasstle, and I don't have 2 nickles to rub together.

Does that answer your question?

12. 76cam

76cam

Get it and go get a vin and then drive the hell out of it....

13. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

unless your having trouble scrounging up 300 bucks, grab it. i really don't think you can't lose on it.

14. lowburban

lowburban

Thanks guys, that's kinda what I was thinking just needed confirmation. Cool stuff tends to blur my vision sometimes if you know what I mean. ;)

15. metalix_421

metalix_421

yes they did both my 50s have a factory vin

16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

????????????????? I've owned about 40 pre-mid '60s cars that all disprove this statement.

17. J-Gilmoore

J-Gilmoore

Is it a clipper custom? whit the leveling system id go for it, those cars are awesome, you can scrape the yellow lines of the asphalt whit its rear.
    I had one myself a while ago.
    Or you can ship it here to sweden!

18. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

why did you even bother asking?! GET IT!!!! i would pick it up in a heartbeat and deal with an angry wife when i got it home haha

19. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i would'nt buy the damn thing , hell no . Thats alot of beer money .
    i hate "should i buy it " questions.

20. big bad john

big bad john

.......Hell.... its only $300.........go for it.....

21. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Sounds like a deal to me. Drag it home jusr for yard art. And, Voodoo, VIN's have been around for a long time, my 34 has it stamped so does the 48 etc.

22. 73super

73super

Christmas is coming up.. buy it for someone else... HEY! LOOKIE! That's on MY Christmas list!!!!

23. Some questions of that type (should I buy/what's it worth) can be pretty dumb, true, but not all. Here's a pretty good example of one that's valid, at least to me: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529817

24. brad chevy

brad chevy

You said you know the family who bought it new ,see if they have the last time they had it registered and that and a bill of sale should get you what you need.

25. lowburban

lowburban

I also am not usually fond of these type questions. I however truly have no idea where to even start to value it except for the tail light. :) I just didn't want to see it scrapped if someone wanted it or could use parts. Not worth loading it up to haul to the scrap yard just to break even. Just making sure others thought it was worth saving. And not trying to be a dick but if you "don't like" these questions then don't open them.

26. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

Yes! Do!

27. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

You need to go to www.packardinfo.com. Great bunch of people who will be more than happy to answer your Packard quextions!

28. lowburban

lowburban

Awesome guys, Thanks for the advice and info.

29. Here we go again... It can be known as the "VIN", "vehicle number", "serial number" or "engine number" on the title - SAME FUNCTION! All of these identify the vehicle and are used in the titling and registration of said vehicle

And, like others have said, I've owned MANY cars and trucks that have a "Vehicle Number" on the door jamb, on the cowl, on the frame, on the engine, that were anywhere from 1929 and up. Your statement is BS.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  30. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

You have never posted anything but nonsense, and this is just another one of your usual posts. Feel free to grow up. It doesn't hurt as much as you would think........