Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 Cadi Hearse/Ambulance WIW/Any Info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Nov 10, 2010.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

So today i found a 62 Cadi hearse/ambulance. Its the 12 window version built by Miller Meteor. I really cant find alot of info on this version. Anyone know what production numbers on this were? Also what would the stock engine size be? This car is in pretty solid shape. It runs, drives, stops. It needs the floor pan replaced under driver and passengers feet and a section right behind the seat. all braces and the rockers are solid. It has a few small rust spots around the wheels wells but they are very minor. The car is very complete. Can anyone give me an idea on value?

Attached Files:

2. I can´t help you with info, but it doesn´t particularly look like a hearse or an ambulance - the roof line isn´t high enough is it? Could it be a wagon conversion? I like it.

3. adamshumard

adamshumard

it does look short in that pic. heres another angle.

Attached Files:

4. Teej

Teej

Can't help with info, but it's a cool ride! Doesn't look like it's moved much lately though, with that front wheel (either buried or flat). You picking it up?

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I see alot of hard to find stainless and trim pieces on that car. There are guys that are nuts about those cars. They're not crazy valuable, but people do want to save them. Send a PM to Original Patina here on the hamb, he knows alot about those.

6. adamshumard

adamshumard

yeah, if we can agree on a price. any idea what this thing is worth?

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Oh and stock engine would be 390. Price wise..3k? maybe 4.. I couldn't say. Original Patina and Jobe are the 2 dudes that know the most about these things.

The car is solid and worth restoring it could be worth way more due to the trim all being there..

8. metalman

metalman

If my memory serves me right 62 was the first year the motors were 429s.

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

62 was the last year of the 390's. 63 was the first year of the "new" 390 that was a smaller version of the 429..the 429 came out in 64..

10. adamshumard

adamshumard

good to know. i really think it could be a cool family ride. no kids yet but that doesnt mean i cant start planning for them.

11. adamshumard

adamshumard

I've looked online today and only found one other that has the same style top. Maybe it is a rare body style.

12. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

M&M Duplex. engine should be a 429, they made appx 800 of them that year. I wouldn't offer much more than 2,500 for it based on what needs to be replaced and the fact that its not a Landau roof. M&M was owned by Wayne Works at the time out of Bellafontaine, Ohio.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  13. zach from ny

zach from ny
    from New York.

Metalflake that wholeeeee roof! haha.

14. adamshumard

adamshumard

I guess that's one way to build a signal miror to space....

15. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Also, if under the bier floor is needs replaced check under the rest of it. I have seen perfectly "good" coaches become a nightmare because of what the coachwork was hiding.

16. I kind of thought the same thing at first but I think it's a bit of an optical illusion. The conservative paint job makes it look more like a stock wagon. The roof itself doesn't look like it's been raised that much, but look at how tall all the side glass is and add the two together. Sure doesn't look like most ambulance or hearse conversions of this vintage.

I think some interior pics of the rear seat and cargo areas might help define what this was originally built for.

17. That is an awesome car. The ambulance division that I work in has giant black and white pics of an ambulance on a roll over crash that looks very similar to this car. I would love to have an old Cadillac ambulance from the 50's but the 60's would be good too.

18. I think you´re right - it´s most likely the epic length of the thing that makes the roof not look so high as it is.

Hope all the glass is good or you´ll be stuffed!

19. Keep this in mind - that is a coachbuilt car, NOT a Cadillac. And as far as that goes, it is a limousine-style hearse. If there are seat(s) and reversible rollers in back, it is a combination car, ie: hearse - ambulance.

Certain Cadillac parts will fit (doghouse mainly), but many, many more will NOT fit (example: doors). An appropriate parts car is another commercial chassis (Z body code).

Trim is specific to this manufacturer (Miller-Meteor), others may not fit (Superior, S & S, Eureka, etc).

Interior parts are also specific to this manufacturer.

The glass is specific to this car, except the windscreen, which is a Cadillac part, known as a commercial windscreen. It is larger than other Cadillac windscreens.

The chassis is completely different than any other Cadillac. Brakes, rear axle, rear suspension, all different. The chassis itself is different, not merely stretched.

Never EVER put this on a frame-engaging lift, EVER. It will be scrap metal afterwards.

The engine is a 390 cid V8. This is the same engine as put in all other Cadillacs for that year. The 429 was NOT available, and is easily checked: look for the distributor; see it back by the firewall?? The 429's distributor is up by the radiator.

Value?? Less than $2K. The market is down, and the seller knows this, because you are the only one who has asked after the car in three years. Any and all missing parts will be impossible to locate, he knows this, and you should.

Good luck, because it is a good looking car.

Cosmo

20. metalman

metalman

Yeah, memory if fading, I was wrong. 64 was the first 429.

21. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

This again? It's a combo Hearse/ ambulance. It was owned by a funeral home who also handled ambulance service for the town. that is what it was originally built for.

22. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

I don't have any M-M literature for 1962, but this page from the 1961 brochure calls a similar model the "Limousine Coach".

Attached Files:

23. adamshumard

adamshumard

Thanks, Thats really cool.

I got the car bought. It does run and drive. ALL the trim is there. The interior has one seat up front and used to have a jump seat in the back. The windshield is cracked but all other glass is good. It needs the floors up front taken care of but other than that its pretty solid. It has 45xxx original miles. I'm haulin it home this weekend and I'll take more pics.

Anyone know for a source for a windshield? And maybe some front floorboards. Anyone make repro lenses for it?

24. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

you'll be looking at about $1400- 2k for a windshield. Check with Carl Woerner in Cincinatti cwcoach.com. he might have one. will it fit? that's a different story. I had the hardest time getting one for my 86 superior. It ran me 900 bucks because of the special cut. Front floorboards should'nt be a problem. the back, I've just used sheet metal to repair them. If carl doesnt have one try Doug Scott out in L.A.

25. Al Von

Al Von

+1. Wasnt that the Panorama window option, or did all the Duplexes come like that?

26. Al Von

Al Von

+1 again. Carl has been a friend of mine since 1988. I'm going to visit next week when I go down to see Rev Horton Heat!

27. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

all of the limo style came like that. the m&m futura landau came with the panorama windows.

28. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Carl is a good man and easy to deal with. order some rear door interior chrome when the body shop screwed mine up in 2005.

29. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower