Register now to get rid of these ads!

baby hemi rebuilding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elcamino65, Nov 9, 2010.

1. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I came home with my first hemi today. actualy it is a 259 block originaly a poly that i am going to put the 270 hemi heads on. This is my first engine build so i am going to need step by step instructions what is the best book for rebuilding the small hemis
    Thanks

2. 73RR

73RR

Any of the factory service manuals for 1951-1958.
    Have you read through the Hemi Tech series? No, not everything will apply to every project but there are alot of do's and don'ts, will and won't...
    Send a note if you have questions.

3. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

i have read some of the hemi tech but i dont know what stuffs pertains to the red rams from the other hemis same with the books. is there a book for building the smaller hemis or is everything pretty much the same.

4. Read the Hemi Tech, and get the Victory Library book on early Hemis. The early Poly/Hemi blocks are the same, you'll probably need to tinker with the pushrods a bit to get the Red Ram heads to work on the 259 block. I am in the process of shoehorning a '55 259 Poly into a '49, so much of the pain of the rebuild is behind me. Check my build thread for ideas and a preview of your ordeal. :) Also, if you hit a snag, there are a few machinists/builders in the PNW that can give a hand - holler and I'll point you in the right direction (Hint: Gary is one, and he already jumped on your post!). Good luck!

5. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

Ive read about a thousand threads sofar and i want to run a four or five speed what are your guys opinions on trannys I know that wilcap makes all the adapters but what are my other options for manuals. 73RR I heard that you sell adapters also.

6. Andy

Andy

You probably don't have side mount provisions on the block. I built a Hurst looking saddle to mount my 241. The pushrods will be short if the cam is reground for more lift. The heads and block should go together fine. The best performance mod that you can do is grind off the bumps around the intake valve guides. That is what the 325 heads are like. Use a 318 electronic distributer. It is an exact replacement. I cut my pan horizontally and rearanged it to make a rear sump pan. I made an adapter and use a Ford 390 oil filter. Cheap.

7. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

its a 55 56 block so it has side provisions so i am not going to run a hurst mount. The block has a new cam, crank and has been taken 30 over. and has new lifters, dist, oil pump. ect

8. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Call Bob Walker @ Hot Heads Research. www.hothemiheads.com

He is a wealth of information and doesnt mind sharing. They also sell a lot of Hemi stuff, we just built a 331 truck engine and he was a huge help.

9. George

George

10. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

You might want to check out the forum on
    the Hot Heads site (www.hotheads.com) and
    also check fellow HAMBER, Scott Moseman's
    The Hemi.Com site (www.thehemi.com).
    There's lots of good info and knowledgeable
    people there that can help with 'baby hemi'
    info and tips.

Mart3406
    ========================

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If it were mine I would trade it in on a nice SBC for that Deuce P/U ......... JMO

12. 73RR

73RR

Hey Lon, I think I can see a big group of villagers headed your way with pitch forks and torches...:D

Pat has adapters for lots-o-stuff like the t-5.
    I can hook you up with the proper adapter if you are leaning toward an AX15 or other Dakota/Jeep trans. The AX15 is an excellent trans, still plenty cheap, and stout!
    Check out wolfhound423 project for some of the rebuilding notes.

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

73RR, just joking! He got my old 259 baby hemi just giving him a bad time. For a young rodder he knows what he wants and will do himself & the HAMB proud!
    Cordell, take his advice and at least look into the AX15.........................

14. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

anyone know a good place to round up one of ax15 trannies

15. 73RR

73RR

One easy way to find an AX15 is good 'ol craigslist. I just search for 'dakota' in the auto parts section. The AX15 was also used in Jeeps but 95% of the jeeps will be 4x4 version. The AX15 was used from 1988-1996, then the NV1500 arrived. Most applications will be for the 3.9 v-6 or the 318. Most of the 4-cyl used a smaller trans, still usable, but smaller.

Remember, you will need the trans and bellhousing. Also be sure to get the clutch fork/arm. The slave is available new. Some models use a hyd t/o bearing. If you find a trans on a 3.7 (jeep) or the 4.7 get the flywheel.

West side
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/2049828839.html could be a donor

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/pts/2049402933.html a little high priced...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/2044481883.html could be a donor

East side:
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/2050396822.html could be a donor

Yesterday I foud a complete and running '90 Dakota for $400. I think I can make some money just selling the 3.9 and rear axle....

Holler if ya need more help.

Gary

16. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

gary thanks for the help i found one on craigslist last night on the west side what does an adapter run to mate the two
    thanks

17. 73RR

73RR

18. going to do the same with a 241 poly truck motor - exchange heads....will need to do the same with my 56 315 D-500 motor as it had a rod and piston seperate...

19. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

The 'Baby Hemi' Dodges are very cool
    motors and they'll fit into a lot places
    that a lot of other engines won't fit. I'd
    love to see a little Dodge hemi stuffed
    into a Crosley, a Nash Metropolitan or
    maybe an Austin Bantam! Just think - a
    2/3 scale car with a 2/3 scale hemi to
    match - how cool that would be! :)

Mart3406
    ========================

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

They aint that small, and they are heavier than any SBC. As for stuff that pertains to them vs 392, almost everything, they are just scaled down, but almost nothing interchanges also

21. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

241, 270 Dodge Hemis are close to the same dimensions as a SBC. The Desoto gets larger and the Chrysler is the biggest.. You are correct they are heavier then a SBC because of the huge heads..(HEMI)..

22. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

Anyone know of a good step by step instruction book

23. George

George

Factory shop/service manual. With up date info in the Hemi tech index.

24. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

i am going to have to buy pushrods and soft plugs anyone know a good place to get parts for these

25. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Stout and cheap! The perfect formula for my build. I'm putting a 270 in the '34 coupe. Where is the shifter positioned on the AX15? Is it far enough forward so it wont interfere with the bench seat?

Great Thread!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  26. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

some of the early Dodge hemis had soft cams. Iskendarian bought a Coronet new in '54 and wore the cam out in 1500 mles. Cams are very hard to come by. Contect Oregon cams and they can build up or regrind your cam. I used them and the work is superb

27. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..If your going to regrind your cam you will need adjustable push rods or custom made to the grind of your cam..Rocker Arms Specialty..Gary..
    Duane

28. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I hope it is i have had a few people recomend to go with the ax15 the shifter is back from center but doesnt look like it will sit to far back. 73rr here on the hamb sells adapter to mate them to the early hemi.

29. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

As far as cam goes its new dont believe it is a regrind. have to check and make sure

30. 73RR

73RR

We haven't any 'soft' cam issues with the Dodges but plenty with the DeSoto 330-341.
    Repairing worn lobes is common but when you have to do more than 2-3-4 then I recommend looking for another core.
    And as noted, a reground cam requires adjustable pushrods or rockers.
    We can cut cams and provide adj pushrods for any engine. Additionaly, I recommend adjustable pushrods for all hyd assemblies, even on new cams with full base circle.

The shifter is about 20" from the front of the bell.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010