Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The first custom F-100 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildcycles, Nov 9, 2010.

1. scrubba

scrubba

Thats a testament to a great design ! Long live Effies ! scrubba

2. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks for all of the great comments folks! I will add more pictures and more info. as I can.

3. Great lookin truck. It seem like cool F100's are suddenly coming out of the woodwork one after another.

4. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

I will take some pics of the decals, as they are in good condition and some are interesting too. The engine is the original 239 Y-block with Thunderbird finned aluminum valve covers having been added. The firewall still has the original seafoam green paint and you can see some of Tommy's overspray from the violet scallop color of the first custom paint job!

5. Totally agree. I have never understood the theory of leaving tired old paint and body work on a car to say it is original. How is flaking off paint and hunks of body filler cracking off the side of the vehicle original? It was originally shiny paint and had it deteriorated back in the day it would have been redone in a heart beat or as has happened with this truck was redone just for a change. I say restore it to it's former glory as Kustoms are meant to be.

Super cool truck by the way. Thanks for sharing it with us.

6. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

I took this pic in Jan ,,1957 ,,in front of the Barris Bros shop ,it was painted multi shades of pearl n candy green ,,was on the cover of Hot Rod that summer ,,not sure what year it was ,,but was told by the Barris guys it was a brand new truck when they started on it ,,
    [​IMG]

7. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

A couple pics from the rear ,,that's Dean Jeffries Shop next door,,
    [​IMG]

8. rustdodger

rustdodger

That truck is way too cool!! Arlington is close enough that I will likely get a chance to see it in person to boot. thanks for showing us.

9. Paddy Waggun

Paddy Waggun
    from Vancouver

10. can I just say..... shaa-WINGG !!! I would wash it and CHUCK that F'ing hobo campershell. Love the 300 grille.

11. Kustom Leatherworks

Kustom Leatherworks
    from Milwaukee

12. Oh forgot, mirrrors gotta go too.

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

As a painter, I don't usually suggest that people put anything but wax on a paint job, but in this case I'd like to suggest that you try oiling it! Yeah, I said oil, like the '' rat rod '' guys do with rusted tin. This will ''feed'' the old lacquer, and seal out the oxygen from the paint. You could use motor oil, but that gets messy and attracks dirt, or you could use boiled linseed oil, and rub in in well. The boiled type will dry where as the raw won't.

Given who all had a hand in the paint job over the truck's history ,no way in hell would I reshoot it! Old kustoms stripped & reshot in today's urethanes & clears look like a guy with a fake hair piece to anyone who knows anything about traditional automotive finishes! PLEASE don't turn this into another street rod with over cleared urethane and radials!

I wish my '54 looked that good!

Life ain't no Disney movie "

14. Oh thank gawd! They just dont quite fit with a KUSTOM truck like that. Save them for your "clone" project if you start one.

15. Philbilly

Philbilly

Wow! Great score!

16. Leave it just the way you found it ( say less the mirrors and canapy) Find a axle and correct style wheels( if the original can't be found) and enjoy ! Nice score !

17. hasty

hasty

Congratulations - really nice.

18. calorchard

calorchard

Too bad you don't have the 54 grill !

19. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

Awesome truck! Makes me want to get a truck even more than I already do. I think whether you leave it as is, or repaint it, the truck will still be an awesome car and a piece of history!

20. C-O-O-L! I'd love to see as many pics as you can post.

21. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

That truck is the reason I fell in love with '53 to '56 Ford trucks and joined Pickups Limited back in 1969 with my '53 F100
    Nice score!

Attached Files:

22. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Very very nice score. I was wondering if it was still a Ford in a Ford motorwise and from the posts I see it is. Thats nice too. I have quite a few friends in the Las Vegas area with 54's, but nothing quite as cool as this. Have to check out the Yblocksforever website too for the motor stuff.

Michael

23. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

I agree with the masses, clean'er up and drive it. That truck will never be any cooler than it is now no matter what you do to it! I can't believe it survived the 70's chop,drop,doe, and blow craze!

24. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I'm really diggin' the phone! Where can I get a phone cradle like that?

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Great find! Betcha can't keep the grin off your face when you drive down the road!

26. aircoup

aircoup

WOW cool effie ive owned probably 50 no kidding since i was 19 alot of cool ones but none with that cool of history,,,,,, good score for you

27. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

I DO have the original '54 grille that is seen on the cover of Rod & Custom in 1956. Still has all of the red & white paint and signature "tear drops" by Tommy the Greek. I will take some pictures of it and post.

28. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

I too have loved the F-100's since I saw my first 1956 F-100 at age 4! I bought my first one at age 12 and still have it today!

29. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

It is still running the original 239 Y-block and showing just over 93000 total miles. I need a fan assembly for it. Looks like Joe was in the process of replacing the water pump and the fan was misplaced. Anybody got one? It was the carryover from flathead.

30. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Here are a few more pics... This first pic is an 8x10 from an early show, possibly 1955 Oakland Roadster Show, but not certain
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the paint changes in 1964...

[​IMG]

And here's one of it's current configuration that was probably taken in the 70's or 80's. Wish the paint still looked this good!

[​IMG]