Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Reverb ... any interest among HAMB-ers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Engine-Ear, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Hey, Guys & Gals-

Need your help. We want to expand our product lineup and are considering creating (and manufacturing, in the USA) a '60s-style reverb kit made from all new stuff. The control switch would probably be mounted on an L-shaped tin bezel that would mount on the bottom edge of the dash and have a period-looking pilot light indicating reverb mode.

Would you add that to your car?

If so, what would you be willing to pay for a reverb setup?

2. scrubba

scrubba

I'll be up front ,sure I would like one . As to how much for a U S manufactured one , uh well more than a piece of JAP KRAP ! Now , you get a decent prototype going an E-mail me pronto ! scrubba

3. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

lets see what you got....American made...hell ya!

4. lawman

lawman

Have had several in the past. They sound great but I have a Gear Drive on my 355 and I'm doing good to hear anything !!!! LOL.Tom (Tired Old Man)

5. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the replies - keep 'em coming.

6. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Cool deal,subscribed to this for updates!

7. RDR

RDR

seem to remember paying around $100 in 1962 for a vibrasonic reverb system installed in my 56 Chevy....yes, could be interested today...keep us informed

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I've never heard one...although I've heard of them!
    What do they do to the sound, and do they use additional speakers or???

Hmmm...any sound bytes around anywhere that compares with or without?
    Too much to ask for I suspect! LoL

9. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

I would say that "reverb" is essentially a delay line between two speakers ... in the '60s, that would have been the front speaker and the rear speaker.

A brief time delay between the sound heard in the front speaker and the sound heard in the rear speaker would give off this cool, echo-ey effect that was THE rage in sound until hippie rock came along.

10. Yeah, I'd be interested in one.

11. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Tube radio, alnico speakers and spring reverb is a beautiful thing to my ears. I doubt that you will find many willing to foot the expense of a proper reproduction unit. If you are thinking about a little inexpensive digital gizmo, I think there would be a bigger market, but others are already out there. I think the HAMB is a tough crowd to sell anything but very exact reproductions.

12. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

ya depends on price

13. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

This brings back great memories of the 60's T birds with 8 track players my Dad had. Remember some Buick Vista Cruiser wagons and a Riviera that had it also. Nostalgia is great, I'm interested.

14. pcterm2

pcterm2

would like to hear it first,can you download a sample

15. edweird

edweird

i had a reverb on my electric geetar. i do remember that sound.

16. TALKING INTO A BUCKET!
    I remember putting one in my '57 Chevy sometime in high school. Way cool then! Crank that baby up and when ya hit a bump CLANG! WHAM! And late at night when Wolf Man Jack was still broadcasting from over the border in Mexico it added to the thrill! Howlin Wolf and Elmore James on reverb! HELL YES!

17. Kustom Leatherworks

Kustom Leatherworks
    from Milwaukee

18. BCR

BCR

Is it true that Crimson and Clover played through a reverb system can alter the time/space continum?

19. Swifster

Swifster

Considering my hi-tech sound system is an AM radio, an FM converter and an 8-track tape player, HELL YES!

But as mentioned above, make it American and make it quality.

20. I would be up to buying one for the 60 olds.

21. big creep

big creep

that would be rad! i want one! "over and over crimson and clover over and over crimson and clover! damn it! now it stuck in my head!

22. F&J

F&J

no, but it does make the car go faster ;)

yes, I'd like to hear one again, but it needs to sound the same as the original ones.

23. Rewired

Rewired
    from Fresno

I had a reverb in my 55 chevy back in the sixties,will yours work with stereo? mine only worked with mono with two speakers

24. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Yesssssssssss

25. duffman

duffman

I had a factory one in my '64 Pontiac, it was pretty cool. Flip the switch....and it sounded like you put the speacker in a 55 gallon drum. hit bumps and you got that great bomb sound; later discovered the same effect with the reverb in my old guitar amp. Rock through AC/DC's TNT and give the amp a kick for the explosion at the end, LOL

26. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Good question! I am still working on it. I would want it compatible with all audio systems, so that may force it into monaural (mono) mode in reverb mode.

Swiftster, if WE produce it, it WILL be made in USA (just like the RediRad).

Actually, a fellow HAMBer passed along a kit that is available now for this function. Don't want to step on that guys toes!

(However, our version would use the spring box which certainly makes it different enough so as to not compete with him.)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  27. If ya was goin' to listen to the Wolfman, ya had to have a reverb! Hell yes, been lookin' for one that I didn't have to sell the house to get...

28. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

well...

someone already makes a made in the USA new one that works with digital stereos.. this is something to consider as old ones wont work that way.. atleast not like they should

me personally, i like the spring noise when you hit a bump on an old one

if interested, PM me and ill let you know who is selling one now, and clue you in on pricing etc... im in the market for one as i have a color bar and all already, and im right here in milwaukee if you wanna get together some time..

29. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

I had one of those spring units. Real interesting going over bumps.:)

30. Knew another kid in high school that had a reverb unit in his 66 GTO. Turn it on and it sounded soooo cool. "Crimson and clover" will not upset the time space contiue-um when played through a reverb unit! But, "Stairway to heaven" will!