Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tank to soak a seized engine at home?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by batt69nova, Sep 21, 2010.

1. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Please tell me what mollasses is,,,,,,,,,,

2. I took a '56 Pontiac V8 off the dual-coupling hydro by unbolting the crank and yanking it out. I got lucky in that even though it was stuck, I was able to pop it out of all the rods. Dunno if you can get away with that with an Olds, but it helped me too to unbolt the motor from the trans - you had like an inch of free play in there once the bolts were out, I was able to get the pins out and spin the trans over (but of course the bolts still weren't accessable).

When I took my '59 Pontiac motor apart, I had the heads off and just let it soak in MMO and forgot it for a few weeks, then went back and used a big 2x4 with a medium ball peen hammer - some whacks in every bore and I had it turning again. But it wasn't rusted too bad to start with, just enough to be stuck.

In this case, you might just tip the thing so that one bank is perpendicular to the ground and let it soak, then whack on it, then turn it and do the other side. Unless the thing is real bad inside that should be enough. Or just bust the pistons, as mentioned, I've seen that done before and it works pretty good.

3. budd

budd

4. dave s

dave s

here you go... from wikipedia...

Molasses is a viscous by-product of the processing of sugar cane or sugar beets into sugar. The word molasses comes from the Portuguese word melaço, which ultimately comes from mel, the Latin word for "honey".<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[1]</SUP> The quality of molasses depends on the maturity of the sugar cane or sugar beet, the amount of sugar extracted, and the method of extraction. Sweet sorghum syrup is known in some parts of the United States as molasses, though it is not true molasses

5. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Thanks for that, So whats MMO ?

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subtle distinction: Mollasses &#8800; Molasses.

7. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Evapo-Rust will no doubt not only free it up but also remove ALL rust.

See trans below: Just a few hours did wonders

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Not only a serious question, but a really good one!! Now I'm curious???:confused:

9. budd

budd

MMO=male-male-octopussy

10. 296moon

296moon
    from england

So where does the woman in the tank with the block fit in?

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

I was going to supply what I thought was the correct answer, but Budd beat me too it. I think I peed a little. :D

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anywhere you want, it's you fantasy.:D

13. 296moon

296moon
    from england

I think we need a bigger Tank.

14. samurai mike

samurai mike

are you guys kidding?

15. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Not really: if it's in park, the motor wont turn! I can't be the the only person on here that's done something that dumb in their lifetime. Hell, I don't even remember if an early hydro had "park"!:D

16. Tat-2

Tat-2
    from SoCal

Hey why not try Astroglide.....

17. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

Do you mean to say that to start that engine, ya gotta take it out of park?

18. 32ratsass

32ratsass

See, thats why I get on here and get involved in these discussions!! I need to periodically, be reminded just how far I have my head up my ass!!! In this case, pretty far!!! Thanks! I needed that!:)

19. Fenders

Fenders

20. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Those are used for all sorts of things like hydraulic fluid, atf, fertilizer, etc. Nice and thick.

21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MMO is Marvel Mystery Oil.

Thank God somebody straightened out the group that had the "take it out of park" brain fart. I was starting to twitch getting ready to respond to that goofiness.

And for those of you that say "XXX" method always frees up a stuck engine, or "YYY" method never fails, I suspect that you've never had a "really stuck" engine. I have had a couple that no amount of heat, snake oil, or pounding pistons would free up. Sometimes you have to resort to destructive disassembly to relieve the bond of whatever that white scale/rust combo is that forms between the piston, rings and cylinder wall.

22. Go to a feed store that should have powdered molassis. The brand my local feed store carries is Kandy Kid

23. Marvel Mystery Oil, I figured I could abbriviate on things already mentioned in the thread.

24. I have put short block in a metal 55 gallon drum set on three concrete blocks covered the engine in used motor oil and built a very hot fire under the drum.:D Leave the top open if and when the evaporate & fumes from the boiling oil catch fire just temporarly cover it to smother the flames. The hot boiling oil will sometimes loosen things up pretty good. You could use water insted of oil if you are not as daring as I am:eek: OldWolf

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. I KNEW someone would bite on "is it in PARK"...:D

26. 32ratsass

32ratsass

I really do wish it had been a different "someone"!:D I really do hope the engine gets salvaged with minimal damage.

27. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

a friend and i got seized pistons out of a 302, with a mix of turpentine , brake fluid, and engine oil ... 3 equal quantities,,

leave it soak in an up turned block ( take the crank out and fill from that end ) the owner said he had the block to an engine shop and they had given up ,, and broken a skirt off a piston.. he was a bit sad about it number matching car , we did a deal for some other parts if i could get them out ,, got all 8 out in two hours from start to finish with some gentle persuation with a block of wood and hammer...

when we got to the broken piston , the same clown that broke it - scored the bore so my buddy had to find another block .... was a real shame as the block was well usable other than that ...

oh yeah and any of you try this its best to do one bore/stuck piston at a time.. otherwise you get a bit messy ...

but the above concoction does work very well taking only around 15 mins each ... despite being seriously stuck

28. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yup,I been there and it was far quicker and easier as said in several posts to drill out the piston crowns,knock away what's left and so on.Of course if you can get out the crank first that makes things a lot easier but usually you gotta remove most or all of the pistons on some engines.
    Then you worry about the deep pitting on the cylinder walls and boring to engine to or beyond the maximum overbore. :D

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Molasses can be hard to find at certain times of the year. Marijuana growers use it for fertilizer and often buy out whole stocks.