Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 caddy whats it worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redtracker, Nov 9, 2010.

1. redtracker

redtracker

i came across this caddy from a friend of the family and he is willing to sell it. does anybody have an idea what its worth. thanks cody

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Alot of factors to decide price, but to me... like $3500-$4500 tops, if its got the drivetrain, in this economy. These cars are expensive to restore.

3. I would bet that back bumper and grille would cost a grand + to replace. Then there is the headline, it looks a little worn :D. But it would still make a great cruiser if the drive train is there and OK. These big sleds look pretty cool as mild customs :cool:

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think Mike may be a little high on his figures.

To restore OR customize this '57 correctly, you would probably have to put in $20 - $30 Grand. We're talking bodywork, interior, drivetrain, chrome, paint, parts, and, chassis/frame/suspension, PLUS, labor, if you can't do it yourself. These are phenominal cars...but, you have to pay to get 'em back to where they were, or where you want to get 'em to.

So I would say $1,500 - $2,000 tops for the condition it's in.

JK

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

"Worth" and what you can buy it for are two different prices. '57's are desirable...but the question is: Engine/tranny in it...??? When's the last time it ran...??? Being in Pennsylvania, how bad is the rust...??? How bad is the interior...??? Glass...???

If you really want it..I'd offer a thousand...

Like Katatonic Mike said...restoring one, or simply putting it back on the street, can get expensive...depending on how much you can do yourself...Cadillac parts are akin to Corvette parts...there's not a cheap piece to be had.

R-

6. redtracker

redtracker

wow he said he would sell the caddy to me for 900$ and for another 900 i could have all the parts he has collected over the years.

He also has a 56 Buick project he started a number of years ago and hasn't been able to finish. I don't know if he's interested in sell it or not. It's a major undertaking. He pulled the body of the chassis and dropped it onto a 79 Grand Prix frame to run a later model drive train (350 sm block, disc brakes, etc). He also chopped the top (4" i think). He's got it sitting on the Grand Prix frame but nothing is bolted down or finalized at all

7. Squablow

Squablow

I wouldn't touch the '56 Buick, sounds like it's been butchered up pretty bad. Chopped top and on a modern frame is only a good thing if it was done by someone with skills, an amateur chop and frame swap can turn a nice car into scrap.

The Caddy looks like one I saw here in Wisconsin, also a '57 coupe de Ville, that one had the engine turning over but maybe a little more rust in the body (hard to tell from your pics) I passed on it at $1000

The one you have pictured above is probably worth the asking price but don't expect to buy it and then turn around and resell it for a profit or anything like that.

8. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

The long spears that are missing from the 1/4 panels go for like a grand a piece if you can find them in nice shape. ...but you could do a semi custom, shave some of the chrome, buy better used chrome trim for the pieces you wanna keep, and be looking pretty good for less.

I think it's a good deal at $900, it is a 57. If you truely want a 50s cadillac. This probably isn't a project to get into if your heart isnt in it.

I love 57s and 58s.

9. redtracker

redtracker

thanks guys for all your imput i think for now ill just finish my daily driver and save up some cash and get something i really want later on down the road

10. 117harv

117harv

I would say at two grand or less you wont go wrong. 57 and 58 are better looking than the ever popular 59's imho.....get it.

11. Old Cars Price Guide 8/10:

#6 (parts car), #5 (complete in need of total restoration), #4 (may be drivable but need paint and interior, etc.):

Series 62: $1480, $4,440, $7,400
    Coupe Deville: $1,600, $4,800, $8,000

Only other coupe that year is the Eldorado and the values are a tad higher.

Looks like a 5 at best, to me.

12. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

Best bet is to consider it a pile of parts & try to research what the used parts will sell for on the open market vs. scrap price.
    It may sound harsh but like most things others will tell you it's worth a million dollars till you try to sell it & then nobody will give you a plugged nickel.
    Voice of experience.
    Good Luck,
    Al:cool:

13. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

in this area all its life? any floor pans left? if ur passing i may be interested