Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holleywoodphoto

holleywoodphoto

Does anyone know if a 1990 S10 Blazer frame would work?

2. Abomination

Abomination

From: http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-drive.cfm?Vehicle=1994_Chevrolet_S-Series&ReviewID=4229

"Handling was another strong suit. The independent front suspension with coil springs provided a smooth, sure ride with little body roll. Bigger shock absorbers all around were partially responsible for this.
    We drove on some washboard gravel roads and the unloaded rear end performed the usual sideways hop under lively going. This is characteristic of pickups and we didn't feel threatened by it."

3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

there is a fact sheet link in this thread, gives all the different frames and measurements, not sure how far back it is.

4. Abomination

Abomination

Been gone a while - "life" got in the way. Even nowadays I'm on here sparsely.

Indeed, it was me that started this thread - and it's brought a TON of folks to the HAMB. You're in good company, man. :)

~Jason

5. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I appreciate it Jason, and all the info in this thread, nice to see all the tech data in one spot.. Hoping to have my 41 Chevy truck running in time for Eagle Field. May 21, 2011

6. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

7. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

WoW, The HAMB is mentioned as an authority on s10 frame swaps,
    thats cool..
    Abomination, you deserve a lot of the credit,, way to go man!!:D:D:cool:

8. Abomination

Abomination

Thanks!

9. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

Hey guys been working on my 55 1st swap onto a 78 to 87 el camino. Turns out its a super tight fit I had to take about an inch out of the insides of the doors at the bottom only in the front because the. Frame is a perimiter style and its 55 inches wide where there doors and rockers meet so I cut the insides of the rockers outfor clearence then cut the pockets in the the door skin. Next ill be doin the motor and trans then on to the floor board ill post pictures tonight.

10. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

11. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

thirty7slammed,,
    I envy your shop.. bad to the bone..:D

12. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

13. joel torres

joel torres

i wish i could move in this is one badass truck i have to build me a truck in one of my next builds

14. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Did Not see that until now that is real cool...

15. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

thirty7slammed,,
    That's gonna be a nice ride,
    dont worry about being slow,
    I have you beat in that category..:eek:

16. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Thanks for the compliments guys...................:D
    Later,
    Billy

17. bigtum-- you don't need v-8 s-10 motor mounts. They actually set the engine back when it needs to go forward. So the easiest way to do it is, buy 350 motor mounts. bolt them to the engine and moch it up to the frame. Bolt a square piece of 1/8 inch thick or so metal onto the mounts. Then as the engine with mounts and extra metal piece is setting on the frame, drill through your metal piece and continue through the frame, bolt em together. Basically you need the rubber 350 mounts that bolt to a frame, you will be bolting that to a piece of metal (1 for each side) and then bolting that to the frame. Here is s-10 chevy 3100 pick up build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=382481
    page 2. is where you can see "somewhat" of the engine mounts. page 4 will show radiator.

18. I used a 1985 s-10 chassis and did a swap that some people thought was crazy and some could not believe i did i added 7 inches and put a 55 chevy 210 post on the chassis with a welder and a torch you can do any thing you want !!

19. I might have missed this somewhere in the middle of the 76 pages of this thread but did anybody post any pics/info of how they attached sheet metal from a 48 Ford onto an S10 chassis??

20. Pickup that is!

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Car or truck?

22. asphalt angel. I bought some parts off a guy and he does a lot of s-10 swaps. When I went over there, he was just about done with a ford (maybe a 51' don't remember). So I think you might be alright. That is all I know, I have seen one on an s-10, but I couldn't give you anymore details than that. I would try it.

23. Yes Pickup truck- I would like to see some pics of how the front sheetmetal was attached as well as cab mounts if anybody has any.
    Also what kind of rad did you use?-Was the engine(small block chevy) set back or left sitting forward. Did you use the stock inner fenders and carve them up or make new ones??

24. asphalt angel, I did a 51' chevy truck and I had to cut the inner fenders to fit. I also
    got a 23" wide x 24" radiator ( I am pretty sure) it is a aluminum one from champion cooling, they also have other sizes. It has these weird tabs on the side, that I wasn't sure how I was going to mount up, but I figured it out and really like how it all fit. But again this isn't a ford like yours. But I have seen one on an s-10 with a small block in it. Cab mounts I just used 4x4" steel tubing, pretty much like all the ones you see on here and other sites. P.S the bottom of my rad is kicked towards the grille a little.
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=382481

25. Thanks for sharing!

26. 1lowbuckrodder

1lowbuckrodder

can someone tell me if 53 chevy wheels will work on a 03 s-10????? and or what is recommended to fill a 62 c10,, on the s-10,, what about disc brake clearence?? havent bought the whls. yet just getting started on this havent mounted the body yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks, and merry christmas to all

27. 1lowbuckrodder, I used my spare tire from my 98' s-10 on a 53' bel air. The bel air rim pulled through right over the lugs, wheel almost came completely off. On a tow dolly. Luckily I had this spare. So as long as the 2000 s-10's still have the 5x4.75" bolt pattern, I think you will be good.

28. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

* I would suggest mounting the body first, that will tell you a couple of things.
    It will tell you how much back spacing you will need, postive (sticking out) or
    negative (closer to frame). You will need rims that have a 5 on 4.75 lug pattern. And what size tires look good to you. 41 chevy trucks originally had 16in rims,
    I am in the process of mounting a 41 chevy truck on a reg cab short bed s frame, Already stretched 7 inches, and narrowed 6 just rearward of the front suspension. I have to wait to mount the front fenders to the cab, then the running boards, once I have that then the running boards will intersect with the rear fenders which in turn connect to the bed... looks like I will need about 4 inches of positive offset,, and those wheel wells are huge, I could run 20's, wish I could afford a set of cragar SS style, 19's in the front and 20's in the back,,,

29. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

quick update on my 41 project,
    I found out while mocking up the front fenders that I have big truck fenders instead of half ton fenders. This means I will be looking for half ton fenders. The big truck fenders dont line up with the half ton running boards. Check the pics,, I thot all the fenders from 1/2 to 2 ton were the same,, not so.
    the grey primered fenders are the correct 1/2 ton fenders and running boards on my stock truck. Both need work i admit, I was working on the stock one but then one of my kid has a nova race car, another son has a camaro race car, and they wanted to build me another nova, but i chose to hot rod another 41 truck ..
    hard to make time for this, working full time along with all the other responsibility's, it is fun, i would like to be driving it to Eagle Field,
    although October seems like a more realistic date..

Merry Christmas to everyone,

to be continued,,,

Attached Files:

30. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

So I took this '30 AA to my buddy so he could do some work on it. He was supposed to hang an S-10 rearend and get it rolling with an axle set up I took him. Well he thought the front S-10 clip would work so he put it on too.

I have been trying to figure out a rack and pinion on a '37 chevy on an S-10 chassis I'm doing so now I have two projects in need of Rack and Pinions.

Anyone here figure out how to make one work without spending big bucks $$$????? I have a buddy that is running an S-10 front clip on a '36 ford full fendered sedan with a rack off an '85 Thunderbird. He had to shorten the shafts by 2" each and then re-thread them to install some tie rod ends. I need to get up his way to see exactly how he made the rack work.

Anyone have any input on the use of the T-bird rack. Shafts must be round all the way back and not the ones with ribs on them. Here's some pictures of my AA. It's sitting high, but once I put in the engine/trans/radiator, it will come down at least 2". Then I can cut the coils or use dropped spindles. Maybe a radiator splash apron to cover the R&P??? Thanks, Joe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.