Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's a rendering cost? Let's see 'em!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cWaInc, Nov 8, 2010.

1. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

I'd like to have a rendering done on my 29, but not sure what it would cost. They're pretty cool and keep the motivation going. Anyone have a contact or want to share pricing? I'd also like to see some if you want to share.

2. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I dont have a photo but I had one done for my Dad a few years ago. It was $50 and worth every penny.

It was decent but not a "goddamn that's friggin awesome" drawing. I would think you could expect to pay $100-$500+ depending on how elaborate and more importantly who does it. (ask Chip Foose what he charges...)

3. try a sign shop. usually an artist or two there.

4. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

I've drawn mine on multiple occasions, but the digital renderings allow you to change colors. (I think)

$50 seems fair for a good paper drawing.

5. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Jimmy Smith is on here and is a great drawer!
    jimmys hot rod design dot c o m

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

OR Mr.Norwell! I know that as soon as I can scrape together some extra cheese I am hitting him up for one for my '32.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

The one of the green truck is worth a grand. Thats got great detail. Its three renderings in one. Heck you can sell it with your ride if you ever sell it.

8. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

$50? :eek:

9. ryno

ryno

a good rendering is usually about 300- 600
    really depends on amount of detail, and style you like.
    nowadays artist can usually do it on a computer and send you drafts as they progress. but they don't look as cool as a hand drawn one.

10. 73RR

73RR

11. Eric Brockmeyer comes in around $1000.

The ability to swap colors & small (or large) details really is nice. The $$$ spent on the rendering is well worth it IMHO. This is evident when you tweak a color, wheel choice, louver layout, or trim design. The car in the second draft is usually $1000 better looking than the first was.

JH

12. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Here's the closest one I have to on topic... Unfortunately the car got sold before it got built.

[​IMG]

13. check out all the friday artshows...you`ll find plenty of cool guys on there...but at $50 you might find it`ll be a very small rendering

14. Fenders

Fenders

Nice... but wouldn't you rather put the money into your ride ??

15. Blackie

Blackie

My concept renderings start around $500 with fully rendered packages (profile, front 3/4, rear 3/4, interior, detail sketches,) head up into the thousands.

It's like anything, you get what you pay for. I have tailored my technique to allow a client to see ideas tested, colors tested, wheels, stance all of it. The client ends up with not one, but many drawings that allow them to use it as a tool for making very big, and very costly decisions that define their project. The ability to have everyone on the build team understand exactly where the project is headed is worth it.

There are some very, very talented artists here on the HAMB, and they are worth pursuing to help you get your ideas down on paper. Jimmy Smith, Jeff Norwell, and many many others. Also, you can see the best around in this book - http://www.mastersofchickenscratch.com/node/81

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  16. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

We render some Hogs around here, in the Fall each year, after a couple good frosts.........................

Just Gary likes this.
  17. Well, in many cases, like the Steve Stanford one I showed, it is a case of a very high dollar build and the best way to communicate the finished product to the customer, or possibly a potential customer.

18. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

Some super nice work guys. Looks like tons of time was spent on those. I don't have any really custom pieces on my ride, just an idea of stance and color combos. Maybe a PhotoShop would do the job for me? I love that first pic of the roadster Blackie, and HotRodDons pickup is awesome.

19. Blackie

Blackie

Thanks mate... There are some guys on here that do great Photoshop work (can't think of names, but I thought Rik Hoving does some- he has a great eye), and if you are looking to make basic changes I would agree that could be a very cost-effective way to go.

20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Dart165 http://www.design165.com/ did my avatar and these below and the one who is responsible for the thousands it is costing me to build it!

Attached Files:

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  21. Big Nick

Big Nick

Jeff Norwell did a drawing for me of my truck (avatar). He is the man, but I think you will be looking at a bit more than $50. To me it was worth every bit of it!

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh Eric, I forgot about the one I'm going to get from you!!! You and Norwell are my favorites!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    D-Russ likes this.
  23. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

M-vitch.jpg m-vich2.jpg I have avoided commenting on this topic because of the perception that the cost for a rendering is not worth it.

It has surprised me how many times that the original ideas for a proposed build change after the client sees them. We have all seen a bad chop or the wrong color choice. For the owner it provides finalized version to build to or have someone complete for him. It can certainly settle differences in what a husband and wife want to incorporate.

No doubt many of the H.A.M.B. people have a vision of what they want. And there are certainly members that will do a Photoshop modification for the fun of it. But there are the guys who try to make some money at providing art which portrays someones vision and maybe help guide the project so it goes straight ahead in the most cost effective way.

Here are two examples how the same project can have different looks. It is always cheaper to do the experiments on paper.

Jon Bell Hotrodartwork.com

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    y'sguy likes this.
  24. randy w

randy w
    from tx

Blackie;
    I love the rendering of the last pic you showed, like a one seater fighter. Too cool

25. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Anybody actually building this one?

[​IMG]

26. I'd love to have a rendering done of my dream '54 Chevy......at least if I never built it... I could have a picture of all the ideas in my head!!

27. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Bruce Kaiser did my 34 Willys coupe and 40 Willys crewcab ramp truck. A while ago, I think 10-11 years think it was around $300. and included a pen and airbrushed 8.5 x 11

Pat

Attached Files:

28. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Here's one of the group of drawings that Kenny Youngblood did for me back in the 70's. Don't have any idea what it would cost now, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be cheap.:D Sure glad to have them now though. :cool:

[​IMG]

29. Philbilly

Philbilly

Very nice drawing here! Wish I could draw this good.

30. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

This is my mentality also, then again i dont build "high dollar" cars.

endless Photoshop thread is free;)