Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

2. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

No, he borrowed the 65 Chevy II Sad Sack which followed the Bel Air and the 63 Impala.
    tommy

3. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac
    from Tampa, FL

I ran across this thread a while ago and have been reading my way through. My dad was a good friend of Nate Cohen's and was the mechanic on his cars (his name is on the side of the T-Bolt). It's pretty cool to see stuff about his car online. It got me thinking about what I might have on my computer to share. Here we go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Randy DeLisio finished the restoration:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few t-shirts I found in the back of the old man's closet:

[​IMG]

I know he's got a few more pics floating around the house but since he's in NC and I'm in FL, I don't have easy access to them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  4. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac
    from Tampa, FL

Found a few more of one of his later cars:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac
    from Tampa, FL

I just found out today that Hot Wheels has a special series called "Drag Strip Demons" based on some pretty famous drag cars and Nate's T-bolt is one of the cars that is being made.

6. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac
    from Tampa, FL

Almost forgot, here are a few shots of a 62 bubbletop Impala with a 409 and a 4 speed. Dad is friends with the owner but I haven't seen him in a few years.

Carolina Thunder:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

Rick Kirk in Oklahoma owns Nate's 64 AA/S car.
    tommy

8. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Was this one of the Hipo class cars Ford built as I would love to see or hear some more imput.There was supposively 12 cars built to go G/S class racing as I understand Smart had some factory info and found 5 of these cars?

9. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

It's a 64 Galaxie with a 427 high riser in it. It has a glass hood with the reardrop hood on it. It's very low milage on it.
    He also has one of the 20 428 lightweights (10 by Holman Moody and 10 by Stroop) They built them for the Ford team drivers to run at the 68 Winternationationals. It's one of the HM cars and supposedly the first one built. They are 100#'s lighter than the other 428,s built that year for racing.
    tommy

10. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Anybody have any pics of 65 Mustang hipo car with "Pony Express" on the side of car?Was a record holder in AHRA 66-67 and was one of the 12 factory Hipo cars that were built to go G/S racing?

12. Topper

Topper

Does anyone have any information on George Gillespie from Virginia? He drove a 59 Chevy at the Nations in the 60's and later drove the factory backed Galax Dodge. Any pictures or articles would be appreciated.

13. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

The '68 1/2 lightweight Mustang racecars were assembled in Dearborn of which there were supposedly 50 built. The one Rick Kirk owns is the first ever 428 Cobra Jet to come off the assembly line. It was originally raced by Bob Coble from Akron Ohio. The car changed hands several times while being raced in its early years. Luckily it was retired in the mid-70's before Super Stock class was allowed to install full rear wheel tubs.

The reason the name Holman Moody comes into the mix is Ford contracted Bill Strope at Long Beach CA to set up several '68 Mustangs for dragracing at the Winternationals. Those cars were actually 390 fastbacks assembled at the San Jose plant. They were converted to 428 Cobra Jet cars at the west coast Holman Moody Strope facility prior to the running of the 1968 Winternationals.

14. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac
    from Tampa, FL

You happen to know when DeLisio sold it?

15. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac
    from Tampa, FL

16. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

I don't know. Rick has owned it for years.
    tommy

17. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac
    from Tampa, FL

18. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

19. Parts13

Parts13
    from New Mexico

1963 I think late in the year. Worked for Dick Harrell in Carlsbad, NM. One morning I went to the shop where we kept some cars and did all the work on Dick's cars. Walked into the yard and there sat this red 62 Bubble top with a tow bar on it. Sat high in the front like most did in the day. Did not think much about it until I was walking out of the yard and noticed some numbers and names on the side that had been taken off but not very well. You could see the out line of every thing you see on this car in the picture. As soon as I saw the outline of the 612 I knew what car it was. Bill Thomas wanted to sell it and Dick helped him sell it to one of the guys he raced with. I am not sure who had it first. I know Tommy McNeely owned it at one time during it life.
    Larry Morrison

20. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac
    from Tampa, FL

Thanks for the info Dennis! I didn't know about the Lightweight Galaxie.

21. fugitive2us

fugitive2us

Raefel Sheilds who used to drive Tom McCroan's "The Funny Car" Plymouth contacted me on another list. It was great to hear from him. We used to run each other quite often.
    tommy mcneely

22. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Contenental Divide Raceway, Castle Rock,Co

[​IMG]

23. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Wow! What a neat-lookin' '62 there! Interesting how it has no factory emblems on the front fenders and I wonder if it may have started out as a 6-cylinder possibly. A friend here in St. Louis worked for Bill James Chevrolet back then and told me that the demand for those 409 cars was so great in '62-'63 that they actually converted several brand-new 6-cylinder and 283 cars into 409's at the dealership.

24. 67goingthing

67goingthing

Rule book for the East Coast "All Star Super Stock Circuit" and required circuit emblem (lower right corner of photo).

Attached Files:

• ss2.jpg
      ss2.jpg
      File size:
      64.7 KB
      Views:
    • ss4.jpg
      ss4.jpg
      File size:
      106.9 KB
      Views:
    • ss1.jpg
      ss1.jpg
      File size:
      92.9 KB
      Views:
    • ss3.jpg
      ss3.jpg
      File size:
      80.9 KB
      Views:
    • ss6.jpg
      ss6.jpg
      File size:
      71 KB
      Views:
    • ss5.jpg
      ss5.jpg
      File size:
      59.7 KB
      Views:
    • P7110120.jpg
      P7110120.jpg
      File size:
      499 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  25. storm king

storm king

To me, that was right at the beginning of the end of good drag racing. That was a good circuit, but soon after racing really changed...Pete Tritak built our last two race hemis, one for my Dad and my SS/D '67 GTX, one for my brother's Pro Stock Duster.

26. 67goingthing

67goingthing

Any photos of your GTX?

27. storm king

storm king

Very few, when I moved from OK to Ky, I told the movers they could lose or break anything they wanted, just get my photos to me. Guess what didn't make the simple , one day trip? My whole lifetime of photos! My brother may have a shot or two of it somewhere yet. It was not lettered or anything. Dad just kept it plain (we did sneak it out on the street every now and then!).
    It was a hemi four speed Dana car, and we had no idea how rare it was back then. I hated it. We traded our original, bought-new '64 max wedge S/SA Dodge for it and learned a valuable lesson about the difference between a muscule car and a factory race car. The GTX was a toad compared to the max wedge. Oh, it was faster, but it was no race car! After we sold it, we found they only built something like 127 of them.

28. 67goingthing

67goingthing

Yeah I found that out on a 135 series CJ Mustang I owned.

29. storm king

storm king

Larsen Ford out of N.Y. ran a '67 0r '68 Fairlane like in your avatar with a 427 in Conn. Dragway's heads up super stock circuit back in '68. Always like the Ford guys. Win or lose, they were good guys. The chevy guys always ran crying about unfair rules, never could stand them. In the end, it's the GM guys that ruined drag racing, IMO.

30. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

I am trying to identify the words written under Casler Cheater Slicks on the quarter panel of this car can any one help me with this?