Register now to get rid of these ads!

does this seem legit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyego, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

this is just how I got started on the HAMB. same thing exactly happened to me when i went to sell my 40 Ford P/U. I asked these guys, and they instantly reasured my doubts. When I asked the buyer which vehicle he was refering to, because I had a couple cars on Craigs List, he disappeared

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. Motion bird

Motion bird

You could have told him to have is son put the money in a major American bank(not yours) then write you a check out of that bank,and then mqail it to you. You go and cash that check at his bank and walk away with cash. Have him mail you 100 postal money orders and cash them at the post office. Never let your name or account be associated with the money.

3. Saxxon

Saxxon

SCAM scam scam scam
    Tell him to show up in person or send someone with cash.

Otherwise tell him to get stuffed

The version I got was a marine biologist on a ship off the coast of Ireland and he didn`t have access to his bank. When I asked him why he didn`t have bank access hooked up for access through the obvious internet connection he could use. He gave some equally unbelievable story about forgetting to do that before he left. I called him an idiot that I fell off the turnip truck the day before yesterday. He stopped contacting.

First person sale or cash in hand is the only way to protect yourself. Long gone are the days that a hand shake or your word mean anything any more.

Shoot all these scammers. Right after you shoot the polititions and lawyers

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  4. go to your bank and open a savings account. give him the banks number and your new account number and tell him to have his bank do a bank to bank money transfer. that way, he has to give his money to his bank to have it transfered. i believe this is the safest way.

5. Definately a scam, get the same ones here when selling cars on online websites. All from overseas somewhere. Have read that giving Paypal details can also be a problem as they use your info. Not sure if thats 100% right or not,..

I recently sold a car online and received one of these, same story pretty much every day. Assholes.

Keep in mind not all people who buy cars or parts from you guys are crooks :)

6. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

sounds as good as our new health care .

7. big bad john

big bad john

.........scam....scam,,,,,,,run.....run......

8. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

I sold a motorcycle recently...I let the people give me a personal check. They were from out of town. They had been sent by a fella I knew...Their Check Bounced...They made good on it...but it was a big problem.:mad:

RunForrestRUN.jpg

9. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Its a scam I had the same thing happen on the sale of one of my antique tractors .... I ended up sending the whole mess to our attorney general...it was all exposed as a fraud .......thank god I didnt bite and thought it funny from the git go

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yeah, I think that's his sister.

11. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

It's not just buying scams there are selling scams also. There was a craigslist add in CA with a 67 camaro conertible for a low but fair price. I messaged the guy he sent me a message about how he was a marine deploying soon. He didn't have access to a phone, the car was in a different state for some reason.blah blah blah. It did sound reasonable since i have deployed a couple times and I could see that happening. The second day I emailed him he resent the first email again which threw up a red flag that he is copying and pasting his messages to multiple people. So I started asking questions about where he was stationed, rank etc. He was mixing different military branchs terminologies around. The next week I seen around 30 ad's posted in craigslist around the country of his same add, found this out using craiglook. So I flaged everyone of them.

The part that pissed me off the most was that he was pretending to be a service member.

My general rule is that I will not buy anything or sell anything without talking on the phone with the other party first.

12. I sure think is legit! I send extra $10,000 to make sure cover shipper cost. Please to send me leftover money! I am secret agent so can not get car to me myself.

13. INF

INF
    from las vegas

scam, same shit on craigslist all the time

14. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Lets just say its not a scam the buyer in that case should be happy to pay you Papal or cash. Tell him this is how scams are pulled and you do not feel good about the cashiers check.

15. yblock292

yblock292

same story i got on some stuff on craigs list wanted me send him the info, told him to call me first, never heard from him

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

Google is amazing, isn't it? Sometimes doing something like a simple search nets you info seeing that this person has been using this tactic (even the same wording) for over a year.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I did point that out, 41 posts ago.:eek:

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah, no kidding? I was referring to you... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  19. big creep

big creep

scam scam scam! dont do it!

20. Better just give me the Falcon and I'll give it back to you when I get tired of it. At least you can avoid the charge the bank gives you when the check bounces that way.

So hey just noticed your signature. Is you '56 a 2 door? I can probably come up with a '54 Chebby.

21. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Souns like B.S. to me. I would'nt let anyone touch the car untill I had cash in my hand!

22. csimonds

csimonds

Simply explain that is is pick-up only, certified funds only! Also you can charge him storage if it sits for anything longer than a week.....
    CHUCK

23. dannyego

dannyego

haha, you can borrow it for the winter, It will save me storage fees. The 56 is a two door 150 with a 350 in it.

24. You can keep the 350 what kind of a 54 do ya want?

I'll send my shipper up with a check to pay him to haul the falcon down here for me. The check is on a Nigerian Bank how much dollars do you keep in yours home and which is you address? :D

25. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Scam. Just like the ones on Craigslist.
    I had one on craigslist. There were a lot of people selling motorcycle with no titles telling the buyer that they can apply for a lost title. I went on one night and explain how only the owner can apply for a lost title. Well guess what I got one of the scams wanting to buy my bike. So I just filled in all the info with the local police department information. Never heard from him again.

26. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Scam!!!!! Stay away from this guy.

27. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

One saving grace here is the H.A.M.B, most people here run a mile if the deal isn't traditional [ as in cash ], but it also makes it difficult for some of us non USA Hambers [ I'm a Kiwi ] to do legit business: Note difficult doesn't mean impossible.

I hope every Hamber reads this: "Never take an anonymous bankers check!"
    It is a variation of the old Nigerian style fraud.

It works because of two things.
    1: Greed, you're selling something for top $$$ [ to a sucker ] without arguing over the price
    2: Security, the illusion that a Bankers check is secure [ especially when it clears quickly ]

There are loopholes in the banking system, where by law, the bank must make available the funds within 1-5 working days.
    When the bank later discovers the check is fraudulant / stolen they can legally claw the funds bank from you [ remember YOU presented it ]
    Also most countries have no "statute of limitations" for fraud [ so this can take years to bite you in the ass ]

In this particular example, the shipper is "IN" on the scam as well.
    They pay you with a bankers check then you pay the shipper cash ,so you lose your goods and some cash when the funds are later clawed back.

Then to add insult to injury, they also steel your identity to scam another sucker [ you gave them your details previously ]

Then If they are really good, you might get contacted by a [ fake ] law enforcement agency overseas that has recovered your goods, all you need to do is send them money to get them sent back to you.

They aint just Nigerians [ thats now a cliche name ]
    I came face-to-face with one of these scammers in China trying to do an advanced fee fraud [ using the US Federal Reserve Bank ] My friends in China couldn't read English, so luckily for them I was in the right place at the right time
    Shit! did I have some fun with this "lying sack of shit, fuckwit" [ the end result was he paid me to get all his incriminating evidence back ]
    Yes, Fear works as well as Greed!

Lesson here for everybody "knowledge is cheap, ignorance can be expensive" so click here and read [ it could save you a fortune ]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_scam

28. A guy I know wanted to rent out his appartment. A guy was comming from over seas and read the ad online. He wanted to secure the place and pay the rent (or lease) up front. He sent a $5000 money order. He put it in the bank and thought great! A couple days later, the person needed some funds to help move, so he wanted $2500 back. No prob, he was still up the cash. Well just after that the bank calls and the money order was no good and wanted the $5000 back. So he got screwed! SCAM!

29. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

These are called "419" scams-after a formerly relevant section of the Criminal Code of Nigeria-Also called "advance fee frauds"
    I messed with with some dirtbag all the way to them FEDEXing me a fake cashiers check (wasted $17.95 of their $$)-FROM A MAJOR AIRCRAFT COMPANY!-for 3X the selling price of my goods. Return address was "Isaac Hayes" and the house was an abandoned hovel in Miami, (gotta love Google Earth!). When they sent their "instructions", I told them I was gettin' kinda old and was going to let my son in law handle the transaction as it was kinda complicated, what with all the checks they wanted me to write to other people and all, and told them, "you can trust him, his name's Dale, and he's an actual FBI agent..." HAHAHA! Funny, never heard from them again!
    Check it out there are people who make a hobby out of messing with these dirtbags...

http://thescambaiter.com/
    http://home.rmci.net/alphae/419coal/
    http://www.419eater.com/index.php
    http://www.scamorama.com/

It's called "Scambaiting" and sounds like a WONDERFUL HOBBY!! WAIT-It IS a wonderful hobby! The more time & $$$ they spend getting messed around with by us, the less time they have to rip off honest people!

EW

30. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Maybe I am the only one, but I just sold my '34 coupe off of an add here to a fellow hamber. I had him draw a CASHIERS CHECK from the same bank that I deal with, and then had my people verify the check when I had it in my hand with a fine tooth comb. I even called the bank location that the check was drawn from the verify it with the teller that printed it. After some nervous moments everything was verified and we were cool.

That said I have seen the "let me wire you money and ship it" scam played a hundred different ways. My advice is to go slow and verify each step. The scam artists will quickly tire and go on to an easier mark. Scams usually start with the "mark" being offered something slightly illegal or immoral with a big payoff to get the ball rolling. Ask me how I know! If it starts like that RUN FORREST RUN!

CB

Attached Files: