Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do in Portland and Seattle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Next week I have to go to Portland and Seattle for work, rather than stay home and work on my '40. :mad: Is there anything hot rod related going on next week in those areas? Is there any "must see" things while I'm up there? Thanks!

2. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

take a rain coat

3. It's been nice. I was in a t shirt almost all day. :rolleyes:

In Seattle I would check out The Museum of Flight. A little south in Tacoma is the Lemay car collection. A MUST SEE! Not much going on car wise though.

4. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

Bring a wrench..you can turn some bolts on the chevy..Not much going on in Portland. We have nice titty bars..lol..Welcome to my city..Check out some of the sights.

5. bigBADwolf

bigBADwolf
    from Batavia,IL

Just walking around rules,Maid my 1st trip there last month and had a blast!! Great town!!!!!

6. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Yea I could wander around bolth towns for days. Not much car stuff other than The Lemay Museum

7. Spooky

Spooky

Geeezz. What is your interest?

Great nudie bars, best coffee and food carts galore!

We have micro-breweries everywhere and a fun junkyard in the 'Couve called All American Classics. Pricey, but fun to walk through.

8. Take a drive over to all amercian auto salvage its worth the drive. even just walking around is fun the yard a very kool. Steves auto resterations is a must and Don Lowes
    in Oregon city is always good.

9. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

Pike place is cool. not realy car related but pretty cool to see.

10. rustdodger

rustdodger

It's pretty quiet for events this time of year. The Lemay car collection at the Marymount Academy in Tacoma is worth the time there are hundreds of cars to see there. The Boeing museum of flight at Boeing field in Seattle is worth a look for most gearhead types too.

11. Seattle underground tour, Seattle aquarium, Spaceneedle, Seattle Center, EMP (experience music project), Pike Place Market, 1st Street (LOL), Pioneer Square, Boeing Museum of Flight, Hammering Man (come on, you got to see the stupid thing...) Nike Town, and just walking the waterfront piers. Thought I saw advertisements for the Auto Show at Quest Field and go see LeMays collection in Tacoma. Lots to see and do...

PS: You can hop a ferry to the other side and visit the Olympic
    Penninsula.

Have fun while you're here!

12. You must experience XXX Root Beer in Issaquah. Take I-90 East out of Seattle to Exit #17.

Attached Files:

13. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

How much time will you have in the Seattle area?

A Seattle question:
    What comes after two rainy days in Seattle?

Monday:D:D

14. jjayf

jjayf
    from Yelm, Wa

Bremerton swap this weekend...

15. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

This weekend, Saturday and Sunday is the Bremerton Swap Meet.

16. good to know!

17. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Don't forget live music! Whatever you like, you'll find it playing on any given night in Seattle. I'll probably be here this weekend:

http://www.tractortavern.com/

18. 29NashRod

29NashRod
    from Portland

Try Duff's Garage for a beer in Portland. They always have some cool old time rock and roll and lots of gear heads/vintage people.

19. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

also good to go check out Trust Salvage in black diamond.

20. skidsteer

skidsteer

If looking for a beer, stop at any McMenamins. They take old schools, churches, even a poor house, and turn them into bar/restaurant/hotels, have their own microbrews, even distilleries. The Kennedy School is near the Portland airport, and the Six Arms in Seattle isn't far from the interstate.

21. 73RR

73RR

Someone in the Sea-Tac area will correct me if I am out of date, but Boeing used to have a surplus 'yard' open to the general public. Might be worth a visit.

22. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

is that still open??

23. 73RR

73RR

Dunno, thats why I tossed it out for comment....anyone work for Boeing?

24. lorax54

lorax54
    from Denton, TX

Gotta hit up Dicks Drive-In. Great, cheap burgers and chocolate shakes. Think there is 6 or 7 around the Seattle area. Beths if you are looking for some late night grub. Always try to hit up those places when I am up to see my Mum.

25. Boeing's Surplus yard in Kent Wa. has been closed a couple of years now.

26. Portland: Voodoo Doughnuts, get the maple bacon bar. Sooooo Yummy.
    Tacoma: Hit the LeMay museum on your way up I-5 - it's sooooo worth the trip. Have breakfast at Southern Kitchen. It was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives for a reason.
    Seattle: Do you have a while to listen to suggestions? No, nothing to do with cars, but if you want to see some amazing Rock and Roll stuff, hit the Experience Music Project (EMP) by the Space Needle. They have a whole room full of Jimi Hendrix original guitars/set lists/ hand written lyrics, etc.... Also, roll out to XXX Root Beer (mentioned earlier) and try to eat one of their monster burgers.
    Happy road tripping!

27. dan750bf

dan750bf
    from seatle, wa

28. papajohn

papajohn

Coincidentally, I'll be in Portland from the 15th to the 20th. I'll have most of the days to kill as I am tagging on my wife's work trip.

I found the Albany Oregon swap meet is the 20th. Is this any good? Big?

It looks like 1 1/2 hrs from Portland, and my flight doesn't leave till 6 pm so maybe I could check it out.

Any input? thanks jjk

29. As mentioned earlier,McMennamins Kennedy School is a don't miss spot..Voodoo Donuts in Portland has a super long line at all times(at least when i was there).If beer is your thing,Portland is like disneyland for your liver!...I would skip Pike Place,reminded me of Fisherman's Wharf in S.F. but more run down/crowded..Archie McPhees is a fun spot to check out,and Dicks Drive-In is just down the street for cheap burgers.

30. 73RR

73RR

Appreciate the up-date!