Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heres my plan, i need your help (51 chevy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by visualillusions, Nov 5, 2010.

1. I have a completely stock 1951 chevy deluxe, im new at this so here is my plan. Please tell me what you think or any advice would really help me out.

I want to keep the original 216, redo it with hyrolic lifters, cam, dual carbs and a 12 volt system. It has the powerglide trans but i would really like a 4 speed, is it a difficult swap? Also put a S10 front clip on it so i can run disks and i def want to bag her. Rearend is were im a little lost.... what would be a good rearend swap so i can have disks and a dependible rear, late model camaro? Please teach a young guy a thing or three ;) Thanks

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We need to figure out if you have a 216 or a 235. Generally, if it has a 'Glide behind it it is a 235, unless it was swapped, and if it is a native 235 + 'Glide combo, then it already has hydraulic lifters. It may be a low-pressure splash-oiling system 235, though. Post a picture of the driver's side of the block and we'll know for sure.

The 4-speed, or even a 5-speed is do-able, if you can find all of the right parts.

Not sure on the clip, but someone will weigh in. Tons of options.

You won't need disc on the rear. They are overkill on anything but a race car.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  3. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ask the squirrel, but first do a search on 235's here on the forum. You will learn quite a bit that way.

4. KaliRodding

KaliRodding
    from Nor-Cal

Hes not looking for advise on search function. If that's the best advise you can give with 4k post, go back to the drawing board.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey now, in this case the search is a really good idea. We've got a TON of info on the 216-235-261. If he's gonna do the work and keep the car, he should know it.

6. 53chevpickup

53chevpickup
    from Australia

Whats wrong with the standard front end and drop stubs. If you rebuild the front end with new bush's and ball joints there fine to use. I had a 50 with the standard front end and it was great. A friend of mine had a 53 with a Holden (Australian GM built cars) front end which is similar to later chev and it was shit compared to the stock front end. Its got to do with the length of the control arms. Remember your only using the six pot motor. Use what you got make what you can keep the build low buck and spend the saved money on some cool dress up gear or better brakes.

Brakes are ok if built by a compitant person and your only using the 6, if you really want discs get a conversion kit. Rear end just has to be the right width and stud patern depending on ratio it cauld be from anything.
    Also remember 75% of your brakeing is done buy the front brakes so drums are fine on the rear. Are you 4 linking the rear and do you want it to lay frame are the next questions.

This is only my point of view not gospel.

Sounds like a cool build have fun with it.

7. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean like all of the advice you gave him? Despite your opinion otherwise, he is going to find exactly what he is looking for because there is a ton of information here on 216-235's. The search is the first place you should go. Do you think he is the first person on the board to ask about a 216-235?

Why don't you walk it like you talk it and take it from here and answer all of his questions?

8. 6inarow

6inarow

X2. There are dozens and dozens of threads on this. Every week a couple of noobs ask the same question and never search it.

He is asking a ton of questions about his car and it will never get answered in one thread without being several hundred posts long and probably get distracted all over the place (from guys like you Kalirodding)

he asked for advice and I think El Caballo was right on the money: start with a 235 search, then search on t-5 transmissions and he will learn so much more than he ever wanted to know about his car. Unless maybe you can answer it all for him in one post Kalirodding.....

9. So Ive been doing some research and i think a T5 looks like a fun challenge :) And the reason why i want to do a S10 front swap is so i can lay frame, and yes, I plan on doing a 4-link in the rear with a C notch and all that good stuff.

Here are the pics of the engine, 216 or 235? isnt there a stamp somewhere that says what it is? (i know, i know,... do a search. Just seein if anyone will give me an easy answer) :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. squirrel

squirrel

That's a 216, the side cover on the pass side extends all the way up to the valve cover

You'd probably be better off finding a later 235. If you can find a good running one used that someone is pulling out of their car it could save you some $$$.

If you run a 4 or 5 speed you'll have to figure out which before you decide on the rearend gears. The S-10 rears can be used, or Camaros, but you ought to figure out the wheels/tires your going to use first, and how much room you have in the wheelwells with the car lowered as far as it will go, then you can figure out how wide it needs to be.

I dont get the whole "laying frame" thing, so I can't help with much more of this project, sorry.

No ball joints on those cars...

11. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look by the dipstick to the left of it where it enters the block, there is a date code there. Tell us what it is and we'll be able to hook you up with exactly what you have.

If that is the original engine then I agree with squirrel, 216 and you are better off with a '55-'62 pressurized 235.

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

just small block the damn thing.

13. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Thats a 216, Done right they can be as cool as anything out there. Duals, headers etc...

14. RPIERCE

RPIERCE
    from Alvin Tx

Keep the 216 and rebuild it like you want to, it will save you money and time in the long run. I sold my 235 out of my 54 and now i'm regretting it!! I'm not sure how different your front end is compared to mine on a 54 hard top but I know I can lay frame with the stock front suspension. I'm going with an s10 rear end for my 4 link and bags in the back. I agree that you don't need disc brakes in the back unless you just want to spend the money on it. Drums work great if they are adjusted and done right!! Save the money for something else!

15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

...and keep in mind that if you use the 216, you won't be running hydraulic lifters.

16. lorax54

lorax54
    from Denton, TX

Go with the T5. Just put one in my 52, and it was pretty easy. Get the adaptor plate and the trans crossmember from hotrodworks.com. As for the rear end, I found a 84 Montel Carlo, with is 1" narrower. I've got the c notch in, and am working on finishing up the 4 link. Still have to do brake lines and the new m/c. I put duals on the 58 235 I have, and it runs nicely. Check out my profile, have a link to my build journal.

17. As far as the rear axle, My son and I installed a 10 bolt from a '81 Cutlass in his 54 Chevy. So any of the mid size GM cars would do, 81 to 87 or so. Cutlass, Grand prix, Monte Carlo, etc.. and the bolt pattern would be the same so you can use the same wheels.
    For front brakes We just adapted the Cutlass disks to the 54 Chevy spindles (Lathe needed to do this)

18. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I think the splash 235's also had a "tall" cover on the pushrods.

19. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

X2!!!!! I just finished mine. I went from a straight 6 to a SBC and I'm sooooooooo happy! Good luck! Sam Navarro

20. atomickustom

atomickustom

You asked for advice, so here's some:

1.Why go to all that trouble to keep the original motor? Swap in a V-8 or if you really love the 6 put in a later-model one that will bolt up to a 4-speed.

2. Why run 4-wheel disc brakes with a 216 motor? Front discs on dropped spindles will get you low AND stopping just fine. If you forget the rear disc idea you can run a Nova rear end or 4-wheel drive S-10 rear end. (NOT 2-wheel drive S-10, they are way too narrow.) Rear disc brakes only make sense if you plan on serious horsepower. S-10 rear drums will give you plenty of stopping power.

3. Bag it and scrape up the pavement if you want to, but don't use an S-10 front clip. Too narrow. You will need to confirm this but I believe 78-87 G-Body (Malibu, Cutlass, etc.) are the same exact suspension as S-10 but on a wider crossmember. I know the '82 Grand Prix chassis I have is almost exactly the same track width as my '51 Chevy (literally less than one inch difference with the same wheels and tires). That means the same springs and spindles, air bags, etc. will fit but your wheels won't be tucked in six inches from the fender openings.
    If you're going to stick with the original six motor I would recommend also sticking with the original front suspension. Dropped uprights and air bags will get you on the ground and disc brake conversions aren't hard to find.

4. Post a photo of your car and you'll probably get more enthusiastic responses.

21. squirrel

squirrel

The splash 235s have a short side cover, like the later 235s. The head looks different on the spark plug side than the later ones, too.

22. squirrel

squirrel

correction: the 50 and later splash 235s have the short side cover, the 40s engines all have the tall one. The 235 was installed only in larger trucks in the 40s, not car or pickups.

Thanks for learnin' me, OldBuzzard

23. I hope this counts ;)
    [​IMG]

My dream '54, chopped and sectioned :)

[​IMG]

The plan for my 51 more door

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks pretty good! How well is that 6 running now?

25. lol, its not.... been way busy at work and I just bought my first house. Its older and needs some work so house first i guess (would rather work on the car) ;) Going to gather parts over winter and start the build hopefully this spring.... and i think im gunna SB it now

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The SBC might be the way to go. You can build a mild one that looks pretty good for small money, or just find a decent runner and get on down the road, for now (in the spring).