Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration pinstriping tips and advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by freebird101, Nov 2, 2010.

1. freebird101

freebird101

I got a brush and some black and red paint (the kind you get for modeling). I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on learning how to pinstripe any simple tips and advice on practicing. I using some old sheet metal i found in the garbage to practice on, good or not good. Any advice is wanted.

2. SlickRick83

SlickRick83
    from merced

i would try to watch people when they do it and then just practice as much as possible.

3. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Pinheadlounge is a great site for inspiration.
    There are numerous stripers on here and other popular culture (yourspace) sites.

Try some One Shot,it'll flow better than Testors paint.
    If you're really hard up,thin down some motor oil and practice on a sheet of glass.
    You can draw a grid on paper and tape that to the bottom of the glass and wail away,wipe off your striping attempt and go again.

If you get some One Shot,pull a design of a piece of paper and number it #1 and date it.Then keep practicing and when you hit number 100,try your design again.Look better?

I draw designs to at least think about striping when I don't have my brush in my hand.Be the brush!

Best of luck and keep going! Noone's great right away?!

4. edweird

edweird

Pinhead lounge is the the place you need to be. Very nice people and they [ and i ] will give you good advice. Ditch the model car paint and get some 1-shot lettering enamel.

5. As everyone else has said, get signed up to the Pinhead Lounge. We're all there to help, don't even start with the Testors paint . At the very least get some Rustoluem oil based enamel, you won't get the coverage, but you'll get the correct feel for practising at least. The one shot paint will last a good long time and it is cheap and readily available too. Here's my link to my portion of the Pinhead Lounge, just reloaded all of my images, drop in and have a look. http://www.pinheadlounge.com/Curse/
    See Ya,
    Chris.

6. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

1 Shot, enamel thinner, and Mack 00 are your main tools, a 16"x16" tile works well for practice. Some times glass is too slick and reflective. Go on youtube and check out the many videos on their. Work on your brushwork and lay down lines, don't worry about design yet. Holding your brush and bracing your hand, your mix beween the paint and thinner should feel a little like warm syrup. Best of luck!:rolleyes:

7. If you start with Testors, you may (read "will") develop some bad habits that will show when you DO get some 1-Shot! Follow all the advice above, and practice on glass..get it from a picture frame, storm window, or any other source you can muster. That way, you can tape a design behind and stripe/wipe/stripe/wipe all you want!

Feel free to PM or email me. I'm just starting, too!

8. 66 kustom C-10

66 kustom C-10

If you are wanting to pick up a striping brush (said Mack 00) swing in a local automotive paint store. They usually carry the 1shot as well. I think I payed about $12 for a brush and about the same for a half pint of 1shot.

I've been striping for about two years and like the others said it just takes practice. Glad to see another trying to keep the art alive. Good luck.

9. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

You could also visit the HAMB Stripers social group too. Some good advice can be had there too. Pinheadlounge is good to.

10. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

11. freebird101

freebird101

well thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'll scrap the materials I'm using now and go and get some proper equipment and try to get some info from the websites presented. thanks again

12. Mr.J

Mr.J
    from NJ

Lokk up www.xcaliberart.com, they've got all you need to learn the right way. Also check out "auto art" magazine

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

Start by finding a style you like.... then redraw those on paper. Then get you a piece of glass and tape it under it, and go to town tracing it with the pinstripe brush. When it dries, use a razor and scrape it off and start again!!!

14. RatRoy

RatRoy

Always eat lunch at places that have paper tablecloths and crayons on the table, practice, practice, practice........;)

15. Keep your day job. You'll get plenty of advice how to stripe, I'm more into the economics of striping. When I started striping and painting signs back in the 70's I thought I could make it without a job. Doesn't happen over night, over a week or a year. Looking back there were times when I probably shoulda had a paying check coming in to support the kids but hey nobody said it would be easy to make a few million striping. But being raised with a rebellious Dad who never worked for anyone else I had no other mindset...gotta go the solo route and suffer.

After years of struggling financially at the same time learning to BE A STRIPER, I eventually succeeded. Not sure when that was but I'm still here pulling lines and making a darn good living...when there's business.

And as for learning part, dip, palett and pull. Dip, palett and pull...

Oh and don't get too technical. I see a lot stripers get too busy with the art of "perfection, right mix of paint blah blah, you don't make any real $$$ being perfect.

I remember striping at a show a few years ago with 4-5 cars constantly lined up all day and another striper asking me what ratio to paint to thinner I use. I replied, "Ratio? What the hell is a ratio? I don't have time to get technical...see those cars waiting. I got lines to lay down they don't pay to watch me mix paint they pay me to stripe their rides". Dip, palett, pull...

16. Lots of great brushes on the market too, I have short fingers and love the Xcaliber brushes right out of the tube, no trimming or customizing required. Just clean 'em and go!

17. memphisrain

memphisrain

Has anyone tried the Kafka style brushes? It seems like it would be a bit easier getting proficient with them, due to not needing to turn the brush like with a mack.

One of his videos I was watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRVbdf4C-w

Jake

18. THe Mack Bobbo Quad is another good brush that is forgiving to use.

19. Lots of good advice from experienced stripers here, which I'm not one of, but I have always enjoyed playing around with a brush and one shot (40 years now). As for practice, I found there are plenty of junk wrecked cars around that give you the experience of actually striping on a car.
    Also there are a few videos out by the pros that can help, but practice is the key I think...my .02 worth:D

20. I'll second the glass pane and One Shot paint. Save the Testors paint for your models.

I took Bob Bond's striping course, even though I have no intentions of becoming a professional striper. Lot's of tips, hands-on experience, and tales of the road. Bob became proficient striping for dealers and working truck stops.I always admired that "gypsy-artist-craftsman" aspect of the trade.

Bob offers classes once or twice a year during the off seasons for car shows in his home in Missouri. Caution - he makes it look easy!

Attached Files:

21. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I started messing around the same way you did. Model paint, model brushes, no idea what I was doing. I have no artistic abilities whatsoever, so my first lines were terrible looking. After I got a real brush and some real lettering paint everything changed. It made it so much easier to stripe. I'm not a "striper", I only taught myself how to do it because it was a skill that I wanted to have, incase I ever wanted to stripe any of my vehicles. I have alot of friends that do pinstriping for a living and I'm not worthy. But atleast I know my abilities and know what I'm capable of.

Get some 1-shot and some good striping brushes and keep going. Stripe anything that isn't bolted down. Practice making straight lines, practice making left and right hand cruves, practice symmetry. I used a flat piece of glass with a sharpie marker grid on the backside. The glass is easy because it's super smooth and easy to wipe the paint off and start over. Tiles are also cheap and easy to obtain and easy to clean off.

Also, find a local striper and watch them stripe. Find someone doing a striping class...you'll learn their tricks and techniques.

22. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

With out a doubt , the best piece of advice on this thread. I've known Bob for 30 years , he's a real pro and will give all the attention that you can handle. No wrong answers from him , he's the real deal !

23. freebird101

freebird101

24. freebird101

freebird101

ok, thanks. now for the sheet metal i picked up, should I practice on that or scrap it and get some glass to practice on?

25. Freebird all you need is one 00, a can of 1shot and some slow enamel reducer. I crack up when I see these guys with 20 or more striping brushes in their box. You can hold one at a time. All I've ever used in the last 33 years is one type of brush that cheap little doubble oo Mack. Typically lasts me about 4-6 months and for that 8 bucks, the earnings can be mid to upper five figs. I have extras but sometimes I lose it, drop it or forget where I put it and need a back up. Yep, tose mmmeds are scroooing wit ma briarn. Remember, don't think about too hard just whip it and go.

26. freebird101

freebird101

mikey, thank you very much for your good advice. I'll try my best

27. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

28. If it's a smooth, slick, painted surface it's probably good to use the sheet metal. If it's unpainted and even slightly rusty you'll be better off using glass. I used to practice on old washer and dryer cabinets and doors. Good porcelain/enamel surfaces and you can get them FREE from appliance stores.

One more thing that may give you fits though: don't use lexan or plexiglas. The static electricity will drive you NUTS!!! It'll suck paint out of the brush before you get the hair to the surface.

29. Never2low

Never2low

Never thought of using the side off an old washer/dryer. hmmmmmm.....