Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spray on Chrome..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IrishHills, Oct 28, 2010.

1. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

you just wait buddy...I have a very very long post...:cool: keep in mind that this will not work for everybody, its not for the faint of heart

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Sorry if that sounded sarcastic buddy, it wasn't meant that way! It was my way of subscribing to this thread so I get up dates or better yet a video of what your up to!

3. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

sorry if you thought I was mad or something, I am in no way shape or form mad at all....:D

I am from Nicaragua, but I used to live in the state for 10 years, but been living in Nicaragua for the last 4 so I guess I have lost some of my American ways...:D

just to let you in a preview, I have no option but to build a custom, totally native spray on chrome system(chemicals, spray guns, base-coat clear-coat) system as the only Real Chrome shop in Nicaragua charges only 100$ for tripe chrome bumpers..:mad: and if I import anything from the USA princess triple for me......this is the last post I make, my next one its one how to build a Spray on chrome system on a shoe string budget...

4. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

OK guys I will start with a Spray on chrome primer

all of this spray on chrome systems are based on what its called ammoniacal silver nitrate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollens'_reagent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUX_cpFWNso

its basically making front surface mirrors on a none glass substrate, be it plastics or metals, but the devil lies in the details, silvering its really not
    that hard to learn, the silvering chemicals are not that expensive, purchasing the budget equipment its not that expensive, you could build one from scratch,
    but as I said before:the devil lies in the details, the first obstacle you face will be prep work, it needs to be as smooth and shiny as possible, the second

obstacle you face its the final clear coat, some of them will react with the silver tarnishing it. If you manage to conquer this obstacles you will be one

happy camper.

to be continued on next post...:cool:

5. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

OK now that you have understood that Spray On Chrome its basically trying to make your front bumper a mirror, lets see the options you have in order for you to create that mirror

option 1- buy off the shelf Mirror silvering equipment and chemicals(you would need to provide and test your own Base Coat/Clear Coat system),

check the AngelGilding.com Silver Spray equipment($790)
    http://angelgilding.com/A4107.html

and their 500 sq/f silvering formula goes for about 300$
    http://angelgilding.com/SpraySilver.html

now don't be worry about this spray gun kit, as its the same as the guys from spectra chrome sell but for much less

check this video, they use the same silvering gun kit to silver wheel rims
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3--VDMz3Yc&feature=related

6. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Option 2- Build your own system using just the Silvering gun from paasche and using your own Silver nitrate chemical mix and of course your own paint system

here is the gun its $275
    http://www.paascheairbrush.com/cgi-bin/store/detail.cgi?r=799

and this is how you make your own Silvering formula
    http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/Silver.htm

I know I haven't covered the Base coat/Clear Coat options, that's because I am still testing them, I have tried Permalac lacquer but I find the lacquer clear, just doesn't have that durability, so far the best combo its the 2k Clear coats as base and clear under a white urethane base coat

continue on next post...;)

7. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Now for option 3 its for guys that earn 500$ a month living on 3rd world countries trying to make a living out of this, or just for guys that simply don't want to expend that much money to try this New Spray On Chrome System..;) (modern day silvering of glass using silver nitrate dates back to 1800's)

fabricate your own silvering gun and your own Silvering formula(My Way)

I originally posted this info on a RC scale forum

8. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

now for the guy that wants small parts plated? guess what, now you don't even need spray guns...

check this Drip method for silvering small parts,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F8Q5yxqy90&feature=player_embedded

WOW...:eek:

I will be building a larger drip system and try to chrome wheel rims...:)

OK now let the naysayers speak, I just hope I got the right people's attention and made their mad scientist mind go in over drive...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  9. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

this is how the process go, I know you see a lot of things happening while the spray on chrome system its applied

1. rinse the part with Di Water(no tap water, dot be that cheap..:p )
    2. now spray the sensitizer or tinning formula(stannous chloride) this is the glue the binds the base coat and the silver, wait for 20 seconds for the stannous particle to attack the base-coat..

3.Wash very very good the sensitizer off the part(don't worry you cant remove the small particles that are already attached to the base coat) if you don't properly do it, the silver will tarnish

3.now here is where the magic begins, the two chemicals, ammoniacal silver nitrate mix with the reducer agent(most formulas used a diluted formalin mix) it can also be any sugars like fructose, lactose, but not sucrose(table sugar)

4.once silvered the part must again be rinse with Di Water, let it dry or use a pressure blower to take any water off, let it sit for a day or oven if weather its too humid

5. Clear coat the part using a small amount of blue or purplish tint(very small) to hid the silver natural color and make it look closer to chrome, or mix it with color candies to make awesome colors like my spoons...:D

there is no secret, its just the making mirrors, that's all there is to it...:p

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

nicamarvin, does RC Universe and a Northrop Gamma mean anything to you?

11. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

they both make Awesome war planes....:D

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Could this process been used on the RC Gamma?
    [​IMG]

13. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

can you use it on the RC gamma? sure you can use it on just about anything...:D was it used on that RC plane? it looks more like polished aluminum to me rather than a mirror effect, but you could duplicate that effect using alclad chrome paint, and here is the secret on how to properly clear coat the chrome paints(paints not the silvering chemicals) after you have achieved the polished aluminum look, seal it with a water based clear coat for floors, and then after the clear have cured(1 day) spray a 2k solvent based urethane clear-coat, the solvent wont affect the polished looks because they will be sealed....

I will be posting pics soon guys, I have to go now, Good night

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  14. customcory

customcory

NicaMarvin, thanks for straightening this stuff out. I got kinda of a idea now. Can you use automotive paint for the clear?:D

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have two from a few years back, well maybe more than a few...Chromeozone, Bloomfield, CT..860-243-2526...Lucky's Chrome, Chaplin, CT...806-455-9244 D, 860-742-9458..Good luck, let us know..

16. aircoup

aircoup

very cool thanks,,,,,,

17. JimSibley

JimSibley

i want to chrome a chassis on my next project. is this a possibility. if so is anyone doin it in Wa. state?

18. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

that's the best kind of pay you could use...but be aware that some clears are too hot and will tarnish the silvered parts, and some clears are abit yellowish, what you want its a cristal clear clear-coat, here in Nicaragua we can buy in 1/32 of a gallon of clear, so I can try many clears without expending a lot of money..:cool:

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wow-great tech info from nicamarvin - shows that you can buy a kit in the box or think outside of the box. like most things that get good results it takes time, talent and $.

20. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I subscribed to this thread to see how it turned out. Great information I'll have to try. I'm all for do-it-yourself projects, especially if you can save a buck.

I'd be surprised if there aren't going to be posts about how dangerous this is to do at home but it's really up to the individual to take responsibility for what they do. I'd still be interested if anyone has negatives to say about this at home type of approach. We all should know it there are any dangers. We know about the stuff that goes "Boom!!", anything else?

21. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

that's a Understatement my friend...:p

if people don't want to mix their own silvering formula(I see no reason to do it, unless you are like me and lives in a 3rd world country and cant find any already mixed for ya, and if importing the already mixed formula will tripe their cost) just buy already made chemicals they are so cheap it aint funny..;)

58$ for 120 sq/f worth of silvering materials...:eek:
    http://angelgilding.com/A2038.html

heck you don't even need the silvering gun, just get the drip bottles for 55$
    http://angelgilding.com/A3543.html

mix 20 mil per half a litter of Di water and you will chrome about 15 sq/f

check the video
    http://angelgilding.com/Mirror_Videos.html#DripKit

I bet you wont die...:D

22. Very interesting,

Thank you for posting the links.

23. good info and tips, but I'd like to see a bumper done before I go out and buy all the materials

24. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

how about this?
    I know it didn't work out for the poor guys, but as you can see he made grate efforts for the prep work and the silvered piece was flawless, I am sure his troubles were protecting the chrome part..! and after expending 20k he just didn't care to expend more money trying to figure out the best clear for the silvered parts, I would too if I had lost all that money, But what if silvering was cheap? and you could expend some more money on testing automotive/industrial coatings?..;)

that's what I am doing right now, silvering small parts and testing different base-coat/Clear-coat combos, I started this about 7 months ago, but I was jobless for a while and I am just recuperating from that, so I haven't done much testing lately,

25. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I will show you some Private Messages from rcgroup.com forums, I had with Ben in Dallas 972-251-0765 he owns Krometics http://krometics.com/

he have been in the business for 3 years and now uses Spectra chrome, but finds the clear-coat lacking..I will let you read some of his words.

I just wished I had all the money to keep up with the guy, I was almost no help since in Nicaragua the best we have is SherwinWilliams and Nasson..:(

26. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Can you get it in a latex base, Maybe I could talk the wife into Doing the living room....LOL.....

27. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Wow...talk about being kinky...:p

28. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

This technique would be great for interior pieces. The pot metal door handles I have in my Buick would work out pretty good. The window cranks have knobs so there wouldn't be much contact with the plated parts but the door pulls might see some wear but I don't think that would matter much. I'm going to give this a try. I'll probably do it like the lady in the video, using the gravity feed method.

Thanks for posting. I'll be watching this post very closely.

29. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

please keep us updated and show some pics of the parts in before and after silvering...:cool:

30. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

It's going to be some time before I try it. I have a lot of other things to do with the car before I can start thinking about this but when I do I'll make sure to post some pictures. Before I start on the actual car parts I'd like to do some experiments with different clear coats and exposure to the elements.