Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

Rich,
    The Skellenger's of California made superb QC rears like this, back in the day...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have 2 Skellengers and 2 locally made Bullet QCs. Here's the Aussie version
    [​IMG]

How about the standard of wheels and tyres available these days...these will go on a show car..
    [​IMG]

Put them all into 1 package and you end up with this....

[​IMG]

2. pavementends

pavementends
    from Utah

The Twister car is in the Sprint Car Hall of Fame Museum now or was there a month ago. I think in honor of Hank Arnold. The supercharged engine is sitting along side. The car was on display there about 15 years ago also. It's worth seeing...gorgeous car.
    Gary

3. Miller27

Miller27

I was lucky enough to see this car run several time at Manzy at the Hank Arnold memorial (during intermittion) while our team was getting ready for our main event, not only is this car still vey fast, it is REALLY, REALLY LOUD with those short stubby headers, I cant imagine how loud it was with a whole field of cars flyin' around Manzy with these headers.....

4. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

It sure was there.....this is the photo I took when I visited Knoxville in August.

[​IMG]

5. dguitard

dguitard

From the 1963 issue of Hot Rod magazine, Hank Arnold and his famous "Twister". As a kid living in the Tucson area, we got to see this magnificent machine perform several times. My God...the noise!

Attached Files:

6. dguitard

dguitard

Hey Rootie, I think this car was named the "stump puller". I saw McCluskey race this car a couple times as a kid. ECCA, Eloy (Az) Cotton Chemical Association.

Attached Files:

7. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

While cleaning out a closet I found my old jackets from when I was a kid that I would have autographed when dad would drag me along to the races. Forgot about alot of the racers and people I met back then.....Rich

Attached Files:

• 153.jpg
      153.jpg
      File size:
      479.4 KB
      Views:
    • 151.jpg
      151.jpg
      File size:
      467.4 KB
      Views:
    • 156.jpg
      156.jpg
      File size:
      407.2 KB
      Views:
    • 154.jpg
      154.jpg
      File size:
      474.6 KB
      Views:
  8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Lotta history with that car, for sure, kind of a E-ticket ride to USAC and the big time for the S/W guys back then. McCluskey and Hank Arnold built the car around 1957, supposedly, using parts off Swiekerts crashed Salem car. After McCluskey moved on to race Usac in 1960 wth Elmer George Donnie Davis took over and won the CRA championship. Wasn't long and Davis went back east and Bobby Unser took over, racing around the S/W and central states with the IMCA in 62 with great results. And as they say, the rest is history.

Attached Files:

9. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Colletable maybe?????
    KaaaaChinggg!!!! $$$$$$$$$ ??????

10. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Do you live in the New York - New Jersey –Connecticut - Pennsylvania – Ohio area?
    What are you doing on Sunday, November 14th?
    Do you know where Hazleton, Pa is?
    Surely you have heard of or know Stan Lobitz.

Sunday, November 14th, the 25th Annual Lobitz Movie Party, Auction & Dinner will be held at the Lobitz Catering Hall, at 1090 State Route 940 (Fishers Hill), Hazleton, Pa. 18202
    Being the 25th Annual event that Stan Lobitz has held, it promises to be very special.

Things get started fairly early in the day (about 9:00 AM) and continue all day long. There is lunch during the day. It all winds up with a sit down dinner that starts at approximately 5:00 PM.

There will be an auction that benefits the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing (EMMR) ....http://www.emmr.org There is usually a lot of humorous brief roasting of people type activity and other well intentioned fun that goes on during the EMMR auction.

It goes without saying that “bench racing” abounds during the entire day.

The American Racing Drivers Club (ARDC) .... http://www.ardcmidgets.com ....holds a meeting and election of officers at the hall, during the day .. after which most of the members present join in the festivities.

One never knows just who might show up, as far as racing folks go.
    Names from the past like the 90 year old Chris Economacki of the National Speed Sport News and TV announcing fame, outstanding midget, sprint, modified, champ & Indy car owner Ken Brenn, Marty Himes of the Himes Museum of Auto Racing Nostalgia, drivers like modified (one of the Eastern Bandits) , sprint car & Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year Denny Zimmerman, modified, midget, sprint & champ car driver Leigh Earnshaw, Hank Rogers, Jr. , modified, midget and sprint car great Johnny Mann, sprint car ace Lynn Paxton of the EMMR, midget & sprint car stand out Jimmy Maguire, TQ & midget charger Billy Courtwright, noted midget, sprint , super modified & champ car owner Skip Matzak, and a host of others are expected.

There usually has been a few rare, special &/or vintage race cars on display just outside the catering hall.
    Eddie Sachs, Jr., son of the late, great midget, sprint & Indy car star, is expected to bring a few modern day Silver Crown (champ) cars for display.

Lots of vendors in the house, too.

There will be old Indy 500 and other racing movies shown during the day.

Arlen Kurtis informed Stan that he and his lovely wife would be in attendance.”
    Arlen Kurtis is the son of famed Kurtis Kraft race car builder Frank Kurtis. .... (Attached is a picture of a vintage Kurtis Kraft midget.)

Probably the one who will travel the furthest to attend this very special extravaganza will be a noted racer from the land down under (Australia) John Loxton.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Directions are as follows ...

The Lobitz Catering Hall is on State Route 940, just north of where 940 branches off from Route 309, when coming north on Route 309.

If you use MapQuest &/or Google Maps, be sure it directs you to the State Route 940 (Fishers Hill) location and not the old address.

The catering hall is near the Church Hill Mall and a Chevy dealership.

This quote is directly from Stan .... The directions coming in from the south ....
    "Take 100 to 309 and 309 to 940. - We are in back of the Church Hill Mall. - 1090 State Route 940. Hazleton, Pa. 18202"
    ”If you come down State Route 940 from the north, Lobitz Catering Hall would be on the right side 1/4 or so mile before 940 ends at Router 309.”
    ”If you come down 309 from the north,I would turn left at West 28th Street and make a right onto 940 and watch for Lobitz Catering Hall on the right.”

The address again is .... 1090 State Route 940. Hazleton, Pa. 18202 (not Route 309)
    If State Route 940 doesn’t work in your GPS, try 1090 Fishers Hill, Hazleton, Pa 18202 instead.

One person who went last year mentioned that .... “ it’s right between the Mall and the Chevy dealer. You could go into the Mall parking lot, make a left onto Fisher Hill out of the lot on the other side and Lobitz’s would be on the left side, a couple hundred feet.”

Should you still get lost that day, the phone number of the Lobitz Catering Hall is .... 1-570-455-2037
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I HOPE TO SEE ‘YA THERE!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

• 2_1.jpg
      2_1.jpg
      File size:
      98.3 KB
      Views:
  11. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Old Bug kart with Wetsbends

Attached Files:

12. 2wheels33

2wheels33

13. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Looking for some midget paint ideas. The car will be mostly blue with a # 90, but I don't want it to be all one color. Any body have some pics of cars that are mostly blue, with some sort of scallop. White with blue scallops does look good but there are already a lot of them around. Maybe some two tone blue? Thanks,

14. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

BZNEIL, Joshua Shaw was restoring this car,He might be able to help or give you some ideas ,and the Weld shot I think I got off of another site that I think you posted maybe these can help.....Rich

Attached Files:

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I've always been kinda partial to a blue/gold scheme.

Attached Files:

• b-g.jpg
      b-g.jpg
      File size:
      149.3 KB
      Views:
  16. There is a deleted scene on "The Motorcycle Diaries" DVD that has some vintage midgets racing.

17. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

I watched this car race with Jerry McClung driving it, You could hear it above all the other cars. It was also ran the last night when Manzanita closed.....It still has it........

18. rooman

rooman

These pix are somewhere waaaay back in this thread but to save searching here they are again. This is how the HOW/ Elmer George ride looked in the early 90's when it was restored by Motorkraft in Indiana. The Watson style body that was on the car when Mel Kenyon crashed it at Langhorne was removed and the original configuration was replicated.

Roo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Mitch G

Mitch G

With apologies to Josh, as I'm not much of a graphic artist, I used a couple of photo's from BZNEIL's previous posts, and whipped up a black and white illustration for coloring purposes. I'm going to color one and post it in a little while.
    [​IMG]

20. Mitch G

Mitch G

Being a sucker for the gold leaf sun burst around the number....Here's my feeble attempt at designing a nice color scheme for BZ's awesome midget project.
    [​IMG]

21. Well it works for me..........but whatever colour BZNeil picks,this car will look so cool:cool:

22. Do you mean the Che Guevara movie?

23. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Guys, thanks for all the blue pics. Rabs, that is my pic of the Weld car and thanks for posting it, I totally forgot about that car. That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for posting it.

Mitch G: Thanks for doing the drawing! It is incredible! I love the paint scheme. It is interesting what you did with the sun burst around the number. My company logo is burst with the name over it and my dad is restoring the Lithgow Edmunds midget which was painted red with a gold sun burst and #28. That could be a detail to tie everything together. I also planned on painting the nose one color and starting the scallop on the hood. You nailed it. On a side note I miss marker rendering, nice hand.

Thanks again to everybody!

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

EXCELLENT JOB MITCH!!! Glad to see it!

25. deucemac

deucemac

Is that the Ascot 19 sec board behind the Twister? I wondered where it went when my second home closed.

26. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Looks like it, glad they saved it, have a 6' piece of the bench I was sitting on at the last Turkey Night 1990, Signed by Johnny Parsons Jr., Stan Fox (winner) Jeff Gordon, Brent Kaeding, Sleepy Tripp, Robby Flock, and Larry Nuber, Party at Kaeding pit till 3:00 when the cops told us to leave for the 2nd time, sure miss Ascot! they still have not built on the property! old dump site, soils problems?

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Nice comments, paddybuilt. Nothing like seeing an old race track go away. And then they rub salt in the wound by not doing anything with it. The old Fairgrounds Motor Speedway in Louisville is a parking lot.

28. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

1946 style Kurtis midget I, start to build last month, thought you would like to see some of my crap !:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

29. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Any one know if they built were Manzanita track was?

30. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Over the winter I race slot cars at a number of different tracks, the group that I race with is called S.C.O.R.E. and we race midgets, sprints, and dirt champ cars. We race under USAC runs just smaller. enjoy! :D
    Pictured below are my cars that I run, #67k is a midget, #63 is my champ car, #2L is a sprint, and #26 is a midget. We race everyother Wednesday night. Here's a couple posters I've made for some of the races too.

Here is the clubs web site. check it out. :) http://www.dirtslotcars.com/SCORE/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]