Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you spend on hot rod and garage tools every time you go into Harbor Freight ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Nov 28, 2009.

1. big bad john

big bad john

...........No buy China shit........Buy American......

2. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I bought some tools from Harbor Freight once!

3. Herdez

Herdez

While we know HF does sale cheap stuff and makes a buck or two re-selling to us, I have no doubt in my mind the same places where they get theirs others... "American' tool companies and Chinese importing companies are also digging in the same pot of gold and importing to us under newly purchased American labels. Its all very simple, our economy sucks.

I know HF sells cheap and that because it is that cheap to import from china and like they say it..bring the money saving costs down to us...well, at least they dont lie about it.
    ------------------------------
    Techtronic Industries Company Limited is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of corded and cordless power hand tools as well as a leading manufacturer of vacuum cleaners and other floor care products. Based in Hong Kong, and initially an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) behind such brands as Craftsman, RIDGID (for Home Depot), Bissell, and Dirt Devil, Techtronic has made a drive into the branded arena at the beginning of the 21st century. Since the late 1990s, Techtronic has acquired a number of major brand names, including Ryobi (excluding Japan); Vax, the U.K. and Australian vacuum cleaner leader; Homelite, in the United States, a maker of lawn and garden tools and equipment; and Royal Appliances Mfg. Co., also in the United States, a leading maker of vacuum cleaners and floor care products. In January 2005, Techtronic completed its acquisition of Atlas Copco’s tool division, adding the Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation, in the United States, and Germany’s AEG Power Tools, as well as the DreBo brand of carbide drill bits. These acquisitions have not only given the company a global brand portfolio, they also have enabled the company to establish a manufacturing presence worldwide. Techtronic Industries is listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and is led by founder and Chairman Horst Pudwill. In 2004, the company’s sales topped $2.1 billion.
    ------------------
    Factories in China a Few of them anyway.

Mosta.netDong Guan MOSTA TOOLS CO ., LTD is a company which research, manufacture and sell electro motion tools and accessories, most of our products export to other countries. We have modern workshops and advanced mechanical equipment. Our company adopts international management methods based on the advanced technical equipment in order to provide our customer with good service. A serial of our products is popular among our domestic and foreign customer, such as Mosta high precise powder metallurgy gear, high speed silicon steel sheet, cordless driver drill, charger and electro motion key for tyre of car.

p-mastech.com as established in 1987 in manufacturing analogue and digital multi-meters and various testing instruments. We have specialized research and development engineers dedicated to produce better and more reliable products at competitive prices. Our factory in Shenzhen China, occupies a floor area of more than 20,000 square meters with a labor force of 500 plus highly trained employees. With a efficient management team, we are able to provide prompt and timely delivery to our customers. Most orders can be committed within 25 days upon confirmation.

Dalian Special Steel Product Co. was set up by the biggest group-DONGBEI SPECIAL STEEL GROUP in 1985. It occupies an area of 30000 square meters, located in the center of Dalian Economic and Technical Development Zone’s industrial area, the company is of beautiful environment and convenient transportation.
    DSSP is equipped with advanced machines imported from Germany and England respectively, DSSP has rich technical resources, advances management method and has become an original base of bimetal strips in China. DSSP has developed not only series of bimetal power saw blades, hacksaw blades, reciprocating saw blades and jig saw blades, grinding wire, rectangular wire but also bimetal band saw blades and hole saw in WUXI JINNIU SAW FACTORY, which was bought in 2002. Now DSSP’S products have been sold in the domestic market and exported to America, Europe Middle East and South-east Asia and so on. All products satisfy the customers. DSSP is the first ISO9002-certified manufacturer for all kinds of saw blades in China. Now it has the ISO9001: 2000-certifies.

Ningbo Yangming Electric Tools Created it in 1987,through the efforts of more than ten years,have nowadays already been developed into the production base of electiric tool with relatively large scale,The company covers an atea of more than 60,000 square meters,construction area is 22000 square meters,a pair of buildings and 3000 square meters,Produce three major series mainly at present.Twenty odd electric tools products.The regular total assets ofhead office is 61 million yuan in 2003.The value ofindustrial output is 85 million yuan.The products find a good

The Stanley Works, is a manufacturer of tools and hardware and provider of security products and locks headquartered in New Britain, Connecticut. On March 12th, 2010, Stanley Works merged with Black & Decker to become Stanley Black & Decker
    Black & Decker – Acquired in 2010.
    Bostitch – Fastening tools. Acquired in 1986.
    Delta Machinery – Power tools. Acquired in 2010.
    DeVilbiss Air Power – Pneumatic tools. Acquired in 2010.
    DeWalt – Power tools. Acquired in 2010.
    Facom (France) – Professional tools. Acquired in 2006.
    Mac Tools – Professional tools. Acquired in 1980.
    Oldham Blades – Saw blades. Acquired in 2010.
    Proto – Industrial hand tools. Acquired in 1984.
    Blackhawk – Mechanic’s tools. Acquired in 1986.
    Porter-Cable – Power tools. Acquired in 2010.
    Sidchrome
    (Australia/New Zealand) – Mechanic’s tools. Acquired in 1990.
    Stanley Assembly Technologies
    Stanley Hand Tools – Carpentry and construction hand tools.
    Craftsman – Private-label hand tools for Sears, up until the mid-1980s.
    Husky – Private-label hand tools for The Home Depot. Acquired in 1986, later transferred to Home Depot.

Black & Decker Corporation was a corporation based in Towson, Maryland, United States, that designed and imported power tools and accessories, hardware and home improvement products, and technology based fastening systems. On March 12th, 2010, Stanley Works merged with Black & Decker to become Stanley Black & Decker
    Brands include:
    DeWalt
    Porter-Cable
    Delta Machinery
    DeVilbiss Air Power
    Kwikset
    Baldwin
    Weiser Lock
    Price Pfister
    Emhart Teknologies
    Oldham Blades
    Black and Decker Firestorm
    Vector

4. BJR

BJR

How much do I spend at Harbor Freight? Nothing their stuff is cheap China crap.

5. Mattilac

Mattilac

Harbor Freight really blows. I can't think of anything I've bought there that still works today.

6. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I hate buying foreign made tools (hell, anything) as much or more than the next guy, but without getting too political, the previous generations f'd that up for the rest of us. I remember as a kid nearly eveything was US made, even in discount stores, but no longer. Other than a few small, cottage industry type businesses, we don't make much of anything anymore, except hamburgers and french fries.

Why would I spend 2-3 times more for a foreign made tool at an "American" store like Sears, or Eastwood, or Summit, when I can get the same cheap crap at Harbor Frieght? I wouldn't buy ANY precision tool there, but in the last 2 years I have bought a heat gun, a parts washer, several styles of hammer (mallets, dead blows, etc), grinding discs, cutoff wheels, tie wraps, heat shrink tubing, 3 jacks, half a dozen jack stands, several die grinders and various air tools, and have gotten more than my money's worth from all of them. Some of these tools were bought when I was starting out, and didn't have the coin for some of the higher quality specialty items from elsewhere (still probably Chinese), and I had the intention of replacing them with "good" stuff later. Funny, the only thing I have had to replace has been the consumable stuff. Granted, the drill bits there suck, but so do the ones everywhere else unless you're buying the top of the line bits. I have yet to have a cutoff wheel from there explode, and the grinding wheels last as long as any I get elsewhere (which isn't long enough, BTW).

7. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Most every thing I bought from them,ended up in the trash. The blue grinder for $19. almost burned down my garage,after about 15 min use. I bought reconditioned American power tools that had to be sent back to the manufacturer for more reconditioning. I throw there adds away,and won't walk across the street to one of thier stores.

8. 48reo

48reo

ten bucks on cut off wheels. thats it.

9. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

I inherited most of my tools when my dad passed on, the rest I found at Sears (plumb and proto) and snap-on when they had sales on seconds (misstampimgs) Hrabor Freight is for use and toss tools.:cool:

10. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Mine lasted about 9 minuets. I burned up a bench grinder in about 2 hours polishing my stainless.

11. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

i buy the cheap clear safety glasses for a buck every time i go there. great for riding the motorcycle at night. i have 6 or so pr.

12. gsport

gsport

ya can't beat the free flash lights.... lol

13. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''oooooooooo'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

14. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

hole saws, leather punches, a few other items I looked at other stores for, and finally found, at HF. I mostly buy used tools, you know they were/ are made in America. I did buy a bench vise, and I over tightened it with a 4' tube trying to use it as a press. snapped in half, but I fixed it, and it still works, I just know the limits now.

15. tunram2quad

tunram2quad

Exactly... I hate the fact that this is what it boils down to for MOST of us( MOST) of time. But I pick and choose with alot of thought before I buy there and usually use online discounts and the 20% off coupon in some mags for a better discount.As for electric,Makita,Milwaukee,Dewalt,Rigid drill press,(guess where thats made)My Delta bench grinder says Jackson Tenesee,but made in China.Maybe thats where the sticker was made.None of that equipment was bought at HF.All
    are in my shop and I wonder where the rest except makita is made but they work for me.I wouldn't even consider buying anything electric from HF.My son and I have bought alot of tools from 20 tn press,PUSHED TO THE LIMIT,English Wheel kit with dies,only to use on 20 Ga.,1tn. chain hoist,bead roller,good for 20 ga. without modification,my opinion.12 tn pipe bender to bend sch 40 pipe for non auto project to small cutoff wheels in a pinch and the white blue cuffed INEXPENSIVE goatskin gloves for tig work to the Blue rubber coated SMURF gloves that we use for everything form washing parts to wiping down something with lacquer thinner or whatever.One pair still there.Safety glasses,ear plugs,magnets for welding, levels,stainless rulers,combination squares. We've bought air tools,from die grinders to 90degree grinders to air saws,Da sanders.Bought an air saw and 90 degree and die grinders for around $15.00 each and still workin over a year later 5 days a week all day(ball park).Gotta oil em .Buy em off a tool truck and see what you pay and guess where they are made and Guarantees.. Yeah,My buddy used my 2nd HF air saw while the tool truck guy stroked him for 3wks and came back still F, ed up.My son bought his own air saw and after 2 minutes on 20 Ga.fell apart.I disected it,took it back,disected the new one,About 10 mins,cleaned the machine oil off certain screws that didn't need to be removed again and loc tited em..No problems.Don't get me wrong,I AM NOT PROMOTING TO BUY PRODUCTS FROM OVERSEAS..But where is most everything made. It seems alot of people bash HF and have a right to because there is a lot of junk sold there .But like anything else you gotta watch what you buy.Just my 2 cents from my experience with HF tools..I'm just doing what I have to do to get it done and it works for me.If money is tight don't be afraid to buy from there.Like I said THINK before you buy.If it breaks or don't work properly they will take it back.Sad but this is what its come to for the working man.or at least me

16. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

@ fella who started the thread,I personally think you spend way too much money on tools. I find some of my best tools at swapmeets. As far as, HF, Craftsman, Snapon...etc...if it works at the time I need it that is all that matters. How much do I spend....MYOB.

17. i was trying to go cold turkey at HF but looked at the Eastwood prices on felt buffs
    and caved in to buying some from HF junk will have to do:cool:

18. 29AV8

29AV8

I dont have any money. but if I did I probably would not buy Harbor Freight. I try and make tools. like my press. engine stands, jack stands. I even took scrap steel to my buddy with.a lathe and bridgeport and he made me some dollys and other funny tools. Hell if we need some massive wrench at work we burn them out of plate steel. wels on a handle.. poor man poor ways...

19. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I bought a really large vise from HF, it really sinks to the bottom of the lake fast and the boat drifts a lot less, I can stay on a school of Walleye much longer with it.

20. Tin Indian

Tin Indian

I wouldnt trust my life on the big tools, but HF is great for little things that add up like zip ties, and touch up brushes, and air fittings, etc. I hate china, but you just cant beat the price

21. Bought a engine hoist there for $80 this spring. It has pulled five motors now without any trouble. It's made me money and I bought it because it would have cost me $70 to rent one twice to do the swap into my Willys.

22. Truckedup

Truckedup

Think about it,all the building the Chinese are doing,who's tools do they use?????

23. Diesel_crawler

Diesel_crawler
    from Canada

Don't have an HF here but I do have a princess auto which is the same thing. went there once left with a bag of zip ties to which only every 1 out of 5 might zip without breaking off.

I grew up on a farm, so when I invest in something I want to to last. I buy mostly all Snap On for my hand tools and what ever else of a higher quality. That way I don;t have to worry about being in a jam and some cheap PoS failing me in the middle of the woods or at home in my free time.

24. Ob1

Ob1

I buy the best tool I can afford at the time of purchase. I check prices, warranties and customer reviews.

About 8 years ago, the best 4.5 angle grinder I could afford was HF. Even came with spare brushes. Havent needed them, tool is still running pretty strong, but a hint of a different sound means the end is near.

About 6 years ago, got a Craftsman 1/2 chuck drill. Runs good too, but the spindle shaft wanders a bit in the housing, and Craftsman warranty isnt what it used to be.

Bought a $750 Kenmore dishwasher, lasted 21 days past warranty before the main motor shaft sprung a leak. It seems they used a plain steel shaft in an area exposed to dish water, rusted out. Motor cost as much as a new base model washer.

You never know what you will get these days, regardless of where it is made.

25. KIRK

KIRK

Nothing anymore. Haven't been there in about 2 years.

26. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

i bought a 90degree pneumatic grinder at harbor freight, also bought a bluepoint 90 degree pneumatic grinder at about the same time (couple weeks apart).... i would much rather run the blue-point grinder, it runs alot smoother than the central pneumatics grinder... but both do their jobs..

i have bought several other HF air tools and i have no real complaints of them, 3/8 air rachet, 1/2 impact gun.. think i'm going to go with a set of the rechargeable impacts from craftsman in the near future, relly like the rechargable stuff, plus all the different attachments you can get..

i was in HF a couple years ago and bought 1 dozen 4 and 6 inch c-clamps, i still have every one of them and they are not bent either... i also buy casters there, some of the steel casters there are actually pretty good for the price..

i use Sait or Dewalt cutoff wheels, i learnt my lesson with cutoff wheels.. Sait wheels will last twice as long as the HF cutoff wheels..

i would like to try one of the HF sheetmetal brakes but i think i'm just going to make my own.. i can make one for under $100..

27. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I buy whatever won't get me hurt using it. I need to make a trip and take the box of HF rejects with me to get some store credit. I keep a big box in the corner and when stuff breaks I pitch it in. It's overflowing now. I even cracked an air hammer in half right down the case. I'll continue shopping there, where else can you buy a copper weld backing spoon for about $9?

To answer your question, I average about $45/trip half of which is usually consumables.

28. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I have bought tools at HF. The fact is much of the American brands are also built off shore. China, and Taiwan are the biggest suppliers. It is a damn shame buy American is so hard to do these days.

29. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Mac Eh??? So H.F. is a big step up for you!!!;):D

30. Herdez

Herdez

I just read an article where they bought out some German company and now they make all the cobalt drill bits known as Bissell at HD. I rather buy them at HF and save 50 bucks.