Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevrolet Intake Oil Splash Shield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studearch, Nov 1, 2010.

1. I'm restoring a '62-'64 Corvette cast iron intake manifold part number 3799349 for 300hp 327's. The sheet metal oil splash shield on the underside is severly rusted through and needs to be replaced. A good one looks like the one below, held on with four rivets.

I can't find any part number for this shield - does anybody know this number or better yet, have one lying around? Was this shield used on other manifolds?

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

gm part number for the "GUARD, manifold oil splash" is 3872754 and it fits 62-64 w/H Perf 327 only. Good luck in your search, I'd either run it as is or just cut out the rust and weld in some new metal.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

ok, I'll ask...is it really necessary to have one?

I have an intake that doesn't have one and the thought of tapping rivets back in to reinstall one makes me nervous.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

To funny talking to a freind at the moment. He removed his and didn't clean all the burnt oil off and now he has dirty oil :eek:.

5. squirrel

squirrel

We used to remove and replace them when cleaning manifolds at the machine shop. It's not a big deal. I'd want to run one to keep from getting chunks of burned oil residue in the engine.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Fel-Pro #1204 Intake Gasket has blocked off plates for crossover. Intake will run cooler and oil wont burn on underside.

7. greaseguns

greaseguns

if you block off the exhaust cross over the sometimes will ice up at the carb base and stall at a light

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Regardless of what the parts catalog lists, I'd still check out other cast iron Chevy intakes and compare the splash shields from them to yours. After working behind a Chevy parts counter for 16 years, I've seen lots of different part numbers on visibly identical parts.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Studearch and myself won't have that problem. We live where its warm :D.

10. xracer40

xracer40

Fel-Pro #1204 Intake Gasket has blocked off plates for crossover. Intake will run cooler and oil wont burn on underside.

Contrary to what many believe,these heat shields were not to prevent the oil from heating the intake manifold. They were to prevent the heat from the exhaust crossover in the intake from burning the oil.