Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spray on Chrome..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IrishHills, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Tim G

Tim G

So the german guy on the vid gives his website details out but when you go to it it says it's under construction... it has his email address on there but so far he hasn't answered... useful....not!

2. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

I have the Spectachrome system, call me if you need any info. 417-773-9019 Brian.

3. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

4. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

That Chevy panel was done at my shop.

5. Racrdad

Racrdad

Then without a doubt you how to apply it properly. That panel is OUTSTANDING!!!

6. I can tell you first hand that Spectra Chrome is total shit. I pissed away over 20 grand on that shit, and it hardly ever applies properly, and when it does, it turns yellow and peels off in 6 months. Total f'ing garbage! Don't waste your time or money like I did, and fuck Spectra Chrome.

7. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

I have had none of those issues with Spectra Chrome

8. i wonder what it is.. i have heard a few people tell me that spectrachrome is crappy.. however I often wonder if the prep wasn't done right... after all it is paint... a special water based silver infused paint... oooh shiny.. me like shiny.. wait what was I talking about?

9. chevyshack

chevyshack

$2500 bucks would be well worth it in my area. I could make a boat load with all the blinged out brothers cars around here. I just wished i had the money to spend.

10. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

$2500 wont get you started. I spent around $30,000 to get the right equip. and the time to learn all the "tricks".

11. merc49

merc49
    from illinois

i went to a seminar and was very interested in buying the equipment to start a side business.they say if i buy the equipment i should charge 10 to 15 dollars a square foot for the process but the surface prep is up to me.and it is hard to give someone a price from a picture of their part on the internet.im wondering how many people here would send me small pieces to work on.the biggest cost in the process is the spray equipment, and the chemicals are what cost the square foot price and you have to buy it from the mfg.of the equipment.im still kicking the thought around but 3000 dollars right now is a big gamble.let me know if your interested.

12. Kinda reminds me of...

[​IMG]

13. I have seen the product and when done right it looks good / acceptable kind of like chinese chrome, not really show chrome i.e. nickel copper process. The problem is the "done right" I have a shop that tried it and had nothing but problems with spectra. He said the equipment was great, the process and end result was less than desirable. He switched to something call cosmic chrome using the spectra equipment and is doing well now. I was wondering if any of the new ceramic clear coats would help the durability issue. The stuff is super tough. I have seen someof th o.e. test on it and its unreal as far as scratch and chip resistat. I know Spies Hecker has one available in the aftermarket and I think PPG also.

14. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

gasser 57 you are too funny... Good for a morning laugh... the chrome product looks great but Im sure there is a lot to it.

15. drchopper

drchopper

the flames on the orange chevy are unreal!!!!!

16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

With all the full body "wraps" you see on cars and trucks for advertising purposes nowadays, I've wondered if it would be possible to have a "chrome" wrap applied to fiberglass bumpers to give an acceptable look?
    Seems this spray stuff is hit or miss at best...and body color bumpers only work on certain styles of car.

17. anybody in connecticut doing it?

18. i don't know where you people are getting these ideas that $2500 or $3000 will get you into the spray on chrome business? (actually I do know where you get the idea, from their bullshit advertising) You'd better ad another zero to the end of that. You can't even buy the materials package for $2500.

(and as soon as you buy that $2500 materials package, a month later they'll tell you that they've come out with new materials that you need to buy because their old formula was crap)

19. howco

howco

Drive rat rods, then you don't have to worry about chrome........

20. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Do you have any more pics of paint jobs like this?

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

What kinda heat can this stuff take?

22. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

23. 76cam

76cam

Man thats awsome !!! I have the bumpers off a 55 chevy 4 door doing a moonshine resto on and that would be perfect. PM me a price on that please.Thanks

24. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I guess the Rust EZ ointment didnt work out for you..
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422901&highlight=silver+nitrate

sorry buddy

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wow, guess no cheap'n'easy way to fake chrome. Alsa's Chrome FX Kit is $599, which is a basic starter kit. Guess if you have a very big bank roll this stuff is for you.

26. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I guess the Rust-Eze Medicated Bumper Ointment didn't work out for you..

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422901&highlight=silver+nitrate sorry buddy 20 grand its a lot of money I fee ya

just stay tuned I can tell you how you can build your own..;)

that's only for the basic basic equipment, not the chemicals, the starting chemicals(500 sq/f) will set you back another $1,500...

for those small parts you don't even need spray equipment...:cool:

this is where I come in...stay tuned I will guide you on how to build from scratch your own spray on chrome system on a shoe string budget...:D

27. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

and that's for 36 square feet only...:(

28. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

This should be good...........................

29. I'm making my popcorn right now!!!:D