Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Hemi Valve Cover Gallery- Post pics here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Deuces

Deuces

2. OK guys I got the permission slip and here are the pictures. These are by far the best pictures I've ever seen of Fenton valve covers (assuming they are actually Fentons. The guy says that both are stamped "left side" and they didn't come with spark plug covers:(

Enjoy!

Dennis

Attached Files:

slayer and Jungle Jalopy like this.
  3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! Those are amazing Dennis! Thanks for sharing!

4. Also for everyone's education, here is a page from the April 1955 Fenton catalog (Catalog No. 19) showing their Dodge valve covers. No listing for DeSoto or Chrysler. Somewhere I have pictures of a T-bucket (actually might have been a D-bucket (Dodge)) that was featured twice in HRM - once when it was first built and a second time when it was redone into more of a show rod. It had Fenton valve covers on a Dodge Hemi. Those pictures (along with ones of Edmunds VC's) are the ones I used when I was designing my valve covers.

Side note, the fins for my valve covers were dimensioned to match the 15" air cleaner cover made by Stelling and Helling back in the early 50's. The same one I lengthened and shortened to get an 18" and 9" version. The 18" for the guys with the GTO's and J-2's that needed a longer cover and the 9" for guys with single carbs. Hence, the Hemi valve covers had traditional looking fins.

Dennis

Attached Files:

5. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Dennis, on page 149 of Tex Smith's Complete Chrysler Hemi Engine Manual, there is a photo of a Hemi-powered, Potvin-blown streamliner with Fenton valve covers. They don't look like the ones you posted above, but instead have a recess in the fins with the Fenton name cast in upside down. I can't really tell if it's a Chrysler or a Dodge Hemi from the angle of the pic, but judging from the intake manifold bolt pattern, I think it's a Chrysler.

I'll scan the photo later if I get the chance.

6. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

Here's a few I had.

Attached Files:

slayer likes this.
  7. I think I know the picture you're talking about. It's actually one of the ones I mentioned above. Are you sure they're not Edmunds?

Edmunds had their name in a recessed that interups a couple of fins on the valve cover and the hold down screws are on the ends of the spark plug covers. See pictures earlier in this thread.

Fenton had their name in a recessed area on the spark plug covers and the spark plug covers have hold down screws that are 8 1/2" apart (about at the third points - see the pictures posted at 4:31 above.)

Let's see that scanned picture!

Dennis

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  8. So while I'm on a role, here are pictures of a pair of valve covers I asked if anyone had pictures of earlier in this thread. They were designed and brought out right at the same time I was doing my Dodge/DeSoto/Chrysler covers. These are the only ones I've ever seen other than in the RPM ads. According to the guy that had them in the swap meet at Louisville, the guy tooled them up, made seven and sold them all to Dale Wilch to sell through his RPM Magazine. The foundry where they were made had a fire and the guy lost his tooling. Personally, I think they have a very strange shape looking from the end - probably for spring/rocker clearance, but.....and then there's the recessed name on them "BEARDIE'S"...maybe the guys name?

Well anyway, here I present the very rare BEARDIE'S valve covers:

Attached Files:

slayer likes this.
  9. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

These are my favorite Dennis:rolleyes:
    241hemi finned valve covers.jpg

10. No argument from me:rolleyes:

Getting ready for Summer down there?

Dennis

11. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

You bet Dennis, I cant wait hot summer nights for cruising along the coast chicks in bikinis, BBQ's beers.........it's been a wet & cold winter.......
    I Guess your going to hibernate for winter;)
    333roofside.jpg
    time to get your tops off
    View attachment 1076251

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    slayer likes this.
  12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If Brian doesn't get around to scanning that picture, I have the book sitting right here. They are indeed Fenton, and I agree with him that the pattern of the intake looks to be Chrysler.

13. Love to see it Scooter. Also, what's the date on it? Wondering relative to there not being a mention of Chrysler vc's in the April 1959 Fenton catalog....

14. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Here are my new Edmunds (right place at the right time).
    [​IMG]

slayer, Jungle Jalopy and Lil'Alb like this.
  15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! Those are REALLY cool!!!

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Date? Book or the picture? The caption says that it's of Rudy Heredia's Bonneville Streamliner and that the photo is from the Tex Smith Collection... No dates mentioned. Book is a recent book "The Complete Chrysler Hemi Engine Manual", by Ron Ceridono and is of the Tex Smith series of books.

Brian's a busy Bass, so I'll just take a picture of the page real quick. Hopefully he hasn't scanned it and is posting while I'm doing this. I know scanning can be a pain...

Stand by for the pic...

17. fast356

fast356

Here's one from a '53 in a '53 Glasspar G2.

Attached Files:

slayer likes this.
  18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here ya' go!

These sure look A LOT like the Edmunds!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slayer likes this.
  19. Well after Fenton bought Edmunds stuff he put his name on a lot of Edmunds stuff from what I've read.

You're right that those are dead ringers for Edmunds VC's.

Looks like the dude that changed them from Edmunds to Fenton wasn't too into getting things right seeing how the name's upside down!

Dennis

20. New "to you" I assume?

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I noticed that too! HAHA! :D:D

22. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Yep, new to me.

23. Ok, so here's another one (or two) for you guys (and gals). My buddy judged a car sho in Moncton and sent me these two pictures with this text: "
    Note the home made hemi valve covers. Wooden patterns are on display too. Seen at the Radical Speedsport in Moncton last week."

So, anyone know anything about these? Any Moncton guys on this thread? Looks like a boxy and a pented roof style patterns. Tried Googling J-M and came up dry. Any hinks?

Dennis

Attached Files:

24. aircoup

aircoup

ok i know powergiant 354 covers are from a truck motor ,but does that make them worthless or rare cause nobody seems to like them or have any info in them' cmon somebody gotta know something

25. Here are my Hemi valve covers. I used em for the drawer fronts on my workbench. Bench and shop not finished yet...someday lol.

Attached Files:

slayer likes this.
  26. sret43

sret43

I have a 1958 truck 354 hemi but the Power Giant stickers have worn off and I wish I could get them replaced. If somebody doesn't like their Power Giant stickers I'd be glad to swap valve covers.

27. Hemi8me

Hemi8me

I was wondering the same thing. Are the letters just painted on? I have a car 354 for a hot rod and think those v-covers would look sweet if they are embossed.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

28. 73RR

73RR

PowerGiant is a decal. Any decent decal fab shop should be able to duplicate them if you have a clean sample.
    Ok, on the count of 3, someone start preachin' about copyright laws...

29. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Best Looking Valve Covers?
    #1 ....... Hemi ....
    #2 ..... 409
    #3...... Boss 429
    #4 .... Nailhead
    *Suggestions or additions......

528-Hemi likes this.
  30. Troyz

Troyz

Here's my baby!